Ok so lets say i'm playing a simple song (like with or without you where it's a 8th notes), can i start pulling out notes from different chords and playing them ( such as if i have a measure of Ds in 8th notes, can i play notes from a Dsus2 without it sounding screwy
depends on the key, like there would have to be an E in the key somewhere. but regardless it really depends on how you do it and what kind of song it is.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Maybe not Dsus2 specifically but definitely the D triad or other notes from whatever scale you're in depending on what chord you're coming from/going to.
no sig for joo
Yep, but be careful. Just cause you can play more notes doesnt mean you should. Complement the song.

These people i jam with we go abit crazy all the time. And we were doing a bit of a bluesey bit just walking. So i through in the walk with the left hand its in G and the above the 12 fret i tap the actave and a actave tenth for each walk note im playing and it was fantastic. So i will say experiment and see what works but keep it simple and real.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
^This is a great approach. The problem with improv is that most people's approach is to throw everything in including the kitchen sink. Playing a simple line well that fits the song is always going to sound better than a complex line that gets buried under the weight of too many notes.
Quote by frodoargon
Ok so lets say i'm playing a simple song (like with or without you where it's a 8th notes), can i start pulling out notes from different chords and playing them ( such as if i have a measure of Ds in 8th notes, can i play notes from a Dsus2 without it sounding screwy
It depends. If the underlying chord is a Dsus2, it'll sound perfect. If not, it might sound a bit odd.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Yes and No. Some notes will work and others will sound a bit off. The only way to know which notes sound good is to try it out (and know a good deal of music theory). While not recommended, you could always brute force this knowledge through trial and error. I think that approach is what makes playing an instrument so interesting as learning theory often misleads people into thinking that dissonance is a bad thing and leads to songs that are too clean for my tastes.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
As long as it's in one of the many scales assigned to that key. Go for it.

It's less pulling notes out the chords and more pulling notes out of the scales.
Quote by anarkee
^This is a great approach. The problem with improv is that most people's approach is to throw everything in including the kitchen sink. Playing a simple line well that fits the song is always going to sound better than a complex line that gets buried under the weight of too many notes.

this, so much. if the melody stops and its just you and the drummer a little flying around is great, but even for a bass solo, less is more, in most cases.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom