Hey guys.

i just recently began the transition from Vox ToneLab to individual pedals, since i haven't used the amp modeling on the Vox since i got a Blues Junior last spring, and it was just too much to have, and i want to start keeping it simple.

I picked up a Fulldrive2 Mosfet the other day and i think i'm going to like it. I play a Clapton Custom Shop Strat through the Blues Junior and i'm having trouble finding a good tone. I'm trying to set it up so i can get some warm blues tone through the FD2 and leave the BJr clean or near break-up so i can easily go back and forth between sounds. Then i can use the boost for some nice crunch for some louder songs. The midboost on the Clapton strat will give it some nice push too, but it starts getting way too muddy with mids being added on the amp's fat switch, the FD2, and the Clapton.

This may be a product of playing in a relatively small room at home, but so far it's coming across as either a little too harsh of a tone, or too muddy on the lower notes on the Strat.

Any suggestions??? Thanks! I'm new to the forum so i hope ya'll can help me out!
Eric Clapton Custom Shop Strat--> Boss TU-2 -> MXR Dyna Comp Compressor -> Crybaby Wah -> Fulltone Fulldrive2 Mosfet -> EHX Clone Theory Chorus/Vibrato -> Line 6 Echo Park Delay --> Fender Blues Junior
bump
Eric Clapton Custom Shop Strat--> Boss TU-2 -> MXR Dyna Comp Compressor -> Crybaby Wah -> Fulltone Fulldrive2 Mosfet -> EHX Clone Theory Chorus/Vibrato -> Line 6 Echo Park Delay --> Fender Blues Junior
use the flat mids setting on the FD2. i think it's just labeled FM.

start with the tone control on the pedal at noon, go up or down from there but you may want to just keep it at noon and dial in on your amp.

nice strat btw.

let me know how that goes.

also, disengage the fat switch on the bjr. just leave it off trust me.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 2, 2010,
thanks man, i'll give it a shot. i'm gonna have to try a bunch of stuff to find a good creamy tone. sometimes the strat/blues jr combo comes in pretty harsh with OD pedals and not the amp's gain.

as for the strat, it's all about getting lucky. found it on craigslist 10 minutes from my house for $1,350. so thats a good $2,000 off, figured i'd go ahead and go for it.

re: blues jr fat switch- why off? too much with the pedal and midboost?
Quote by HolySchmidt24
thanks man, i'll give it a shot. i'm gonna have to try a bunch of stuff to find a good creamy tone. sometimes the strat/blues jr combo comes in pretty harsh with OD pedals and not the amp's gain.

as for the strat, it's all about getting lucky. found it on craigslist 10 minutes from my house for $1,350. so thats a good $2,000 off, figured i'd go ahead and go for it.

re: blues jr fat switch- why off? too much with the pedal and midboost?

trust me i'm with you on the criagslist steals.

with the fat switch, the mid boost on the strat, and the mid hump in the Vintage setting on the pedal you are blasting mids imo. nothing wrong with mids but too much of anything isn't good usually. so getting neutral on the pedal and losing the fat boost should help get you to a more level eq. then add with the boost function on blackie and see what you can get out of it.

i preferred pedal od to the amps gain, and i used the same pedal you have. it's all preference really.

play around with it, the stock fender speaker isn't the greatest so that may be some of the issue.

also, where is ECisthebest? he's great with blues jrs.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Flat mids is necessary when the fat switch is pushed in. I had the same problem when I first got my FD-2 and was using middy humbuckers. I preferred to turn off the fat switch and used the FD-2 in vintage mode with the tone control set around 10 o clock though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs