Page 1 of 2
So I've been wondering how people navigate through all the posts on this forum and whether people:

post a response to a thread and wait for someone to reply to it
skim through threads
skim through threads and read quoted posts only
READ EVERYTHING
Only read posts by certain users
Read threads with lots of replies
Only start threads, never reply to threads that aren't yours

What kind of forum user are you and how do you do the things you do?
I never read anything. Not even my own posts. In fact, I'm not even reading this while typing
Check out my band Disturbed
I read everything when I have spare time to kill, otherwise I'll just stay in threads that I try and take an active role in like the HT.
I usually look for threads with titles that pique my interest, post my reply to the OP, then either skim the thread or read the whole thing depending on my mood and how interesting it is.

On reflection, that sounds more complicated than it is
I get super giddy when I see a response in a thread that I recently posted in.

It's like:

"OMG LOL MAYBE SOMEONE QUOTED ME!? WHAT? I'm fucking famous now!"
PRS SE Custom 22
Peavey Vypyr 30

"When you look into the eyes of a man grown old,
wonder about the secrets gone untold.

When you look into the eyes of a young child,
marvel at the innocence running wild."
i only ever read threads that are on the home page, as im not on here too often. and thats only if they sound remotely interesting through the brief 5 second read through of the highlight lol. people usually say something witty enough for the both of us so i dont reply much.

PSN: reldask
I'm actually UG's AI system. All posts get downloaded into my memory, then I reply if I see fit.
Quote by killer puppy
I post a reply and patiently wait 'til somebody quotes me.

YES!

If the thread is larger than two pages (40ppp) I will not respond. Unless I am really interested in the thread. (Avatar Last Airbender Thread).

After I post I will leave the thread and go look around for a bit until I notice that somebody responded. In which case, I don't re-read any threads.

I sometimes read large threads, but don't post.
I only read stuff that looks like it's interesting and the recent posts (that's how I found this topic, heh heh) and I rarely post.
I read through all of the posts, make my reply, then skim through other threads for a sec, and then come back and read the other replies.
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by bartdevil_metal
The yellow envelope with the dot in it makes me e-orgasm.

PRS SE Custom 22
Peavey Vypyr 30

"When you look into the eyes of a man grown old,
wonder about the secrets gone untold.

When you look into the eyes of a young child,
marvel at the innocence running wild."
Well since im green, we have the ability to skim through multiple threads with a certain program that shows us everything that goes on in our designated forums. We can see what you're typing, what thread you're about to make, and your topic before anyone else can see it.

We also have the ability to search through multiple threads faster than the normal user rate. This is why bans can come in a split second even before the user knew what hit them.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
I do everything you listed minus the last one. It just depends, I guess.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
i'll open threads that interest me. if there's something to be said, if something' funny or someone to debate with, i'll go for it. if not, i won't waste my time.

threads i've already posted in tend to get priority. i'll always go back to see if someone's quoted me or if the discussion has turned in some interesting manner that deserves another comment.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
I look through interesting threads, post, then come back to see if anyone replied to me/made an interesting post.
It depends on the thread, for example, if it is a discussion, then I may read through it if it is only 3 or so pages or less. If it is a thread like this, that is just a question, asking people to answer, I may just reply, but if I really don't care cause I know no one will read it, I generally don't bother.

I almost never make threads, or post in smaller threads more than once.

There are a couple bigger threads which I regular in (Pokemon CYOA, Answer the question above)

And if there is funniez in the thread, I'll read up to maybe 10 pages, depending on the potential and the actual funniness of the content posted.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Quote by Nelsean
Well since im green, we have the ability to skim through multiple threads with a certain program that shows us everything that goes on in our designated forums. We can see what you're typing, what thread you're about to make, and your topic before anyone else can see it.

We also have the ability to search through multiple threads faster than the normal user rate. This is why bans can come in a split second even before the user knew what hit them.

If the Greens can do this, it absolutely terrifies me to think of what Admins can do

But OT, I read pretty much everything. If a thread piques my interest, I read it all.
Quote by Nelsean

What am I thinking now?????
Ya that's what I thought.

I hover a lot. Click on ones that weren't typed by a 3rd grader. Respond when the mood hits me.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Nelsean

What have I just written into the "post new thread" form then?

EDIT: And I look in any thread that looks interesting, and leave when it becomes apparent that it's not. I rarely post threads because my threads are horrid, and instead of checking threads for replies I just type my username into the search bar every few days.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Aug 1, 2010,
I generally hover over a thread and see if it's retarded or not.

If it's adequately retarded I will make a reply after reading 1/4th of the first post, then I will read a few other posts to see if what I said made sense in the greater context of the thread.
Quote by Nelsean

Do you have alerts on it like:

WARNING: FASSA MAKING POST CONTAINING THE WORD "RUSH"
?
Quote by Nelsean

You serious? That's awesome. Can I be a mod just to have this power?
I tend to keep a tab open to the Pit at all times. Refreshing constantly to look for new threads.

If title is interesting:
Open in new tab, keep looking at other threads for more interesting titles. The last interesting title is opened in the same tab. If the OPs are as interesting as the titles imply, I read the threads. If not, I close the tabs. If I finish reading a thread (only for smaller ones) and have an idea to post (or a witty remark to make), I post it. If not, close tab. Once finished reading the thread in the last remaining tab, go back to the Pit. Rinse and repeat.
If title is ambiguous:
Mouse-over. If the text is interesting, Perform the aforementioned actions.

Long threads:
If I feel like it, I may spend hours going through a long thread. I have currently gone through the first 100 pages of the Religion and Philosophy thread, the entire YLYL8 thread, and several others.
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
Quote by killer puppy
Killer puppy is squeamish

There's your quote. Your lifes expectations = fulfilled.
Early in my career I used to read those classic, lulz-ensuing threads in their entirety. Nowadays my responses are formed from a port reflection on the bookend posts, and half the time I don't even read the original post if the thread's long enough.
Quote by bartdevil_metal

Hahahaha sigged
Sweet candy populous...

a worry free entrance...

into the world's history.

Quote by bartdevil_metal

Page 1 of 2