Hey,

I'm playing in a metal band and we're starting to play shows and my Vypyr 100 2x12 combo aint doin' the trick!

I'd like to get a Tube half-stack. I've always been a HUGE fan of the Mesa Recto sound. I've been looking at Dual rectos, triple recto, and the roadster. I like the roadster has 4 channels and built in reverb. I dont like it's price . There's a used Triple recto on Craigslist for $1000.

I tried a JSX at Guitar center. The guy said that the JSX is just a fancy XXX and that I could find a used XXX at like $500.

Do you think I should get the JSX(or XXX) or the Recto?

Any other suggestions?

I play a Jackson Matt Tuck Rhoads with Blackouts and an Ibanez RGA 32 With 81/85's.

My band's style is taking Killswitch Engage, The Devil Wears Prada, Coheed and Cambria, Slipknot, and Protest the Hero; putting those 5 bands in a blender. Ya that's us hahaha.

And Cabs, I was looking at the Mesa Stiletto Cab, Mesa Recto Cab, and the Krankensien Cab. I tried the Krank at guitar center. It was AMAZING!

Please help! Thanks!!!
To be completely honest, you could probably get a 6505+ or 5150 II half stack used for about $1,000 that would work absolutely perfect for what you play.
Thanks for the suggestion! but I tried a 6505+ at Guitar Center and I didn't like the tone it was kinda dry and Idk how to describe it hahaha. Um is there a difrence between the 5150 and the 6505+?
Almost nothing, I don't think. Except the 5150 II is older.

They both have 6 12AX7's and 4 6L6's.

I can't figure out how you thought it sounded "dry." The Triple Rec has 6 6L6 power tubes, 5 12AX7's and 3 5U34's... couldn't tell you what those are. Depending on how much money you want to drop, the Triple Rec might be the best for you.
Dry might not be the word, compressed maybe idk. but at that price... idk if Id let that deal go by. How about cabs? Should i look for v30's?
If you need three channels, JSX is actually a good idea. Boosted Crunch channel for rhythm tones, Ultra channel for leads. Throw in some EL34s and you're set.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
If you have money for a Recto, go for it. You're pretty much not going to be able to get a better amp than a Mesa. However I would only recommend buying one if you're 100% serious about your band. If you're SURE you want to be a musician for the rest of your life, and you're SURE your band is gonna make it, then go for it. (Though I'd be wary of craigslist, it could be broken). If you aren't 100% SURE, then go with something cheaper, because Mesa's are top level professional gear. The JSX or XXX would both probably be good for you. And as for cabs, just go with whatever one is supposed to come with the amp head, that usually your best bet.

Just so you know though, these amps are LOUD. Tube amps are about 3 times louder than solid state amps, so if you're thinking "Oh, I have a 100W amp now, I'll just get a 100W tube amp". NO! A 30W tube amp would be about the same volume as the one your using now. A Tube halfstack would be 3 times as loud as your current amp, and tube amps sound best when they're cranked.
Quote by Danjo's Guitar
If you have money for a Recto, go for it. You're pretty much not going to be able to get a better amp than a Mesa. However I would only recommend buying one if you're 100% serious about your band. If you're SURE you want to be a musician for the rest of your life, and you're SURE your band is gonna make it, then go for it. (Though I'd be wary of craigslist, it could be broken). If you aren't 100% SURE, then go with something cheaper, because Mesa's are top level professional gear. The JSX or XXX would both probably be good for you. And as for cabs, just go with whatever one is supposed to come with the amp head, that usually your best bet.

Just so you know though, these amps are LOUD. Tube amps are about 3 times louder than solid state amps, so if you're thinking "Oh, I have a 100W amp now, I'll just get a 100W tube amp". NO! A 30W tube amp would be about the same volume as the one your using now. A Tube halfstack would be 3 times as loud as your current amp, and tube amps sound best when they're cranked.

For what it's worth, my Pittbull is 50W and my 6505+ is 120W. I play mostly in my bedroom and they sound GREAT for what I do.

For what the OP is playing, a JSX/XXX or a Recto would both work just fine. It's just a matter of taste since the Recto has a slightly more scooped tone and the signature Recto "sag."
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Thanks dude!!! Ummm I think I might go with the JSX(XXX). Im going into my senior year and stuff so ya. and I know the wattage, I was amping my vypyr, the lead guitarist in my band has a Marshal JVM 410... so he's like 3 times louder hahaha. I'm rhythm lead vox.
Thanks for all the help everyone.