So I just picked it up at a local music shop 2 days ago. Beautiful head, so I decided I would test it out on my combo amp, because I thought it had a line out for the amp, so I could use the speakers from the combo (A vox AD100vt xl). So anyway I plugged it into the Night train, turned the NT on and realized that there was no sound, so I shut it off; later realizing that it was on standby. So a few minutes later I turned it on again, took it off standby, and picked a few notes on my guitar, still no sound, so about 10 seconds later I shut it off. I then realized............that I was plugged into an output for the combo's speakers, not the amp. Now. I didn't turn the combo on at all, cuz I thought I was using the speakers. My question is, would this have fried my NT? Cuz if theres the slightest chance it did, I'm calling the music store and telling them they sold me a fried head, and using the excuse that is was a floor model and someone must have F'd with it.
It's possible that it could still work - take it back to your shop and see if you can plug into a cabinet and see what happens.

P.S. - Don't be the guy that returns something to the shop after YOU took the actions that most likely broke it.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by DrNick
It's possible that it could still work - take it back to your shop and see if you can plug into a cabinet and see what happens.

P.S. - Don't be the guy that returns something to the shop after YOU took the actions that most likely broke it.

Ya I'm going to, and I know bro I'm usually not, but about 600 bones are at stake here, and the guys are all dicks in there anyway lmao
Quote by AxSilentxLine
If you plugged into an output then it's very likely that you did damage the OT

Ya I know, but the combo wasn't even plugged in, would that still do it? As of now I think I'm gunna go in asap and try it out on one of their cabs, cuz I have a bad feeling about this.
could you outline the signal path you had?

sounds like you had
night train out > line out of combo?
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Quote by Linqua5150

sounds like you had

Yup, Night Train out to combo out. The load definitely wasn't going into speakers.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
ok if thats right you probably blew the output transformer.
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Quote by Linqua5150

sounds like you had

Ya, I stupidly thought it was a line into the speakers........Never owned a tube head before, just recently realized how quickly you can fry these damn things. So do you guys think that this 30 seconds of turning it on, turning the volume, and picking a few notes would fry it or cause serious damage?
I doubt you fried the OT that fast. Have you tried actually using the speakers to see if it works?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
yea i mean the situation you described leads us to draw the conclusion that you blew it, connection wise at least, but shouldnt there have been like hissing or something if that happened? maybe not hissing since theres no speakers but at least a burnt smell or something?lol
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Quote by mmolteratx
I doubt you fried the OT that fast. Have you tried actually using the speakers to see if it works?

I have nothing I can plug into, I thought the VT 100 had an "input" for an external amp, so you can use the speakers, but I guess thats only with the ac15 and ac30. I have an orange ppc112 on order and am waiting for that. I've been doing some more reading an apparently you usually blow a fuse before you blow the OT, my tubes don't look fried, can't get at the fuses without completely dismantling it so, guess i'm either gunna have to go into the music store and test it out, or wait for my cab to come in.
Quote by handbanana
just out of curiosity, where did you buy it?

Long and Mcqaude, Canadian music store
it should be fine. back when i was a naive guitar player i turned on my VTM60 when it wasn't hooked up to a cab, cracked it up all the way because i was getting no sound (thought it was hooked up to my cab...you could actually hear the amp, just really super quiet) for a minute or so then turned it off and it's still in perfect working order. still not my best decision ever

people think that tube amps are these ridiculously delicate items, but in reality, they can usually take quite a bit of amuse before you really fcuk something up.

still, plug it into a cab (or properly use the speakers in your combo) and see what happens.
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
if you know anything about wires, you could wire your speakers together and get an old guitar cable and splice the two together at least to test it
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Which long and macquade?
Blackstar ID:15TVP
2001 MIA Strat (SD '59/Stock/CustomCustom)
Early 80s Fernandes The Revival '57
Quote by spiff389
it should be fine. back when i was a naive guitar player i turned on my VTM60 when it wasn't hooked up to a cab, cracked it up all the way because i was getting no sound (thought it was hooked up to my cab...you could actually hear the amp, just really super quiet) for a minute or so then turned it off and it's still in perfect working order. still not my best decision ever

people think that tube amps are these ridiculously delicate items, but in reality, they can usually take quite a bit of amuse before you really fcuk something up.

still, plug it into a cab (or properly use the speakers in your combo) and see what happens.

Thanks bro, and ya I've heard all these horror stories about tube amp heads but ffs they're meant to take a beating, especially the Night Train, the selling point was that it was "rugged". Maybe that didn't include what I did, but still...
Quote by Linqua5150
if you know anything about wires, you could wire your speakers together and get an old guitar cable and splice the two together at least to test it

Gay thing is that I'm selling the amp, so I don't want to be doing any operation on it
well, actually now that i think about it you shouldnt have to do any actual soldering or anything like that. if youre willing to spend a few bucks goto radio shack you can get some wire and the little connectors they use for speakers(forget what theyre called) and theyll slide right on the tabs for the speaker connections, all youd have to do is get a crappy guitar cable and crimp the wires into it, or solder it if you like, the point is nothing will necessarily be done to the amp.

but i suppose that might be too much effort if youre thinking of just going back to the store, but i suppose you could save the parts from radio shack for later, they could come in handy, your call.
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?