so I am, more or less window shopping custom guitars, I'm just trying to get an idea of different companies that are good and offer a wide variety of options

so far I know of ormsby and moser guitars, both look amazing I like their work, to give an idea, the ibanez 4570 Z is basically the best production guitar that meets what I'm looking for, so companies that make similar guitars would be great

thanks
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
carvin
Quote by DieGarbageMan
When having sex i realise my penis is of small nature.

Quote by Demon Wolf
I got a similar thing from playing too much Pokemon.

Magikarpal tunnel.
Jackson and Ran
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Just out of curiosity, what is it about the Ibanez that you don't like? That's a pretty high end guitar as it is but I'm sure it's still cheaper than building a one-off custom guitar.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by DrNick
Just out of curiosity, what is it about the Ibanez that you don't like? That's a pretty high end guitar as it is but I'm sure it's still cheaper than building a one-off custom guitar.

you are right my friend i drool over that guitar, but I'm also looking at custom for a few reasons

I would like thru neck
I would like a different inlay
I would like possibly different pups
I would prefer a carved top but that is just a possibly
and i would like something more unique, like something that is one of a kind

so really just some little things
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
you know how expensive a custom guitar is right?

i just priced out a pretty basic custom eclipse and my estimated total came to $6,950
Quote by handbanana

i just priced out a pretty basic custom eclipse and my estimated total came to $6,950

wow, what all did you get on it?

Because that's an a$$load
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
Quote by handbanana

Buying a custom guitar from any of the big builders (Jackson, ESP, Dean, Fender, Gibson etc.) will cost you an assload and a half, because of the name. Go to a one-man or other small operation and you'll save alot of money.

Off the top of my head, there's USA Custom Guitars, Carvin, Anderson, who will build you a custom instrument for not too much money.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
A lot more goes into a custom shop guitar than any production guitar. The main difference will be the choice in woods, the woods will be matched for maximum resonance and tone so your guitar will sing a lot more than any production guitar. On top of the fact you're going to get things like killer quilt/flame maple tops, improved hardware, specifics like fingerboard radius, fret material/size, tuners, and the whole thing being hand made. After playing many production guitars over the years i decided to go custom and after trying a few custom ESPs there really is a huge difference in quality between the two.

Because of all of this, the price will reflect what you're getting, so it will jump up dramatically from the standard price, even if it's the exact same specs as a standard model.

EDIT: Just realised i didn't actually answer your question at all . Depending on if you want to have the S series body type, you may be limited to a few luthiers, since i don't know of many who do body's that thin. Maybe try asking some of the more individual luthiers like Ormsby or possibly Hufschmid, they're both mad luthiers who are up for a challenge!
Last edited by SDM at Aug 2, 2010,
You're not going to find a custom made guitar for under $1500
Just cause they're bare bones it still costs more to make than a production line guitar