So I have a classical guitar, which obviosuly doesn't sound good for most music. I want to play rock music, like a lot of Green Day and such. I have learnt a few songs on my classical, a few chords etc, but I don't have the motivation as it doesn't sound right. So I want to buy a good guitar for beginners. The Squier Bullet Strats look good, but there are two different ones it seems.

Sunburst: http://www.allansmusic.com.au/prod/125881/Squier_Bullet_Stratocaster_Electric_Guitar.aspx

Black: http://www.allansmusic.com.au/prod/82507/Squier_Bullet_Solid_Body_Electric_Guitar.aspx

The black doesn't have a whammy bar it seems, and looks to have a different body. Which one is better? Do these guitars sound good for rock music? And do I have to buy a guitar amp, or would it be possible to plug it into my TV's 5.1 speakers, or the amp for the TV or something? If not, what is a good amp that doesn't cost too much? Thanks

Also, what do those guitars come with? Just the guitar, or a strap and some other things?
Last edited by G3ck0 at Aug 1, 2010,
You want the first one. I would SERIOUSLY suggest buying an amp, too; the speakers and amp aren't meant to handle hi-z (resistance) signal.

A Peavey Vypyr 15 is a good starter amp; I have the 75 and it's quite good for what I paid.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Would you mind telling me the difference between the two?

And are squiers any good? Someone told me this:

"Squier guitars are cheap, they sound cheap and play cheap. The frets are usually so sharp they'll tear your hands wide open. They don't hold tune well and are very prone to warping. Typical for a low cost, low quality guitar."
Last edited by G3ck0 at Aug 1, 2010,
squier does offer starter packs which come with a 15 watt amp, and various other things, but keep in mind that the stuff that comes in those packages is solely starter. sooner or later if you want to get better, you'll need to upgrade both. also keep iin mind that the vast majority of rock music is played with guitars that have humbuckers i.e. gibsons, epiphones, jacksons, schecters, etc. so some of their starter brands might suit you better. also what is your price range?
I don't really have a price range at the moment. Though I did want to find a guitar for $200-$300 AU.
Quote by G3ck0

"Squier guitars are cheap, they sound cheap and play cheap. The frets are usually so sharp they'll tear your hands wide open. They don't hold tune well and are very prone to warping. Typical for a low cost, low quality guitar."

The 15 is 15 watts output; the 75, is, you guessed it, 75. It's also quite a bit more expensive and unbelievably fucking loud.

Squiers CAN be good; they can also suck. The idea is to try them out first.

the difference between the 2 squiers? One is solid basswood (so not TOO bad) and the other is plywood - aka bad.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Aug 1, 2010,
Quote by G3ck0

I didn't open your links and I'm not a guitar guru by any means, but I'm gonna guess that the difference is a whammy/floating bridge. I've read these forums long enough to know that as a beginner, you want a fixed bridge unless you want to spend more time tuning than playing.
15 watts is plenty to start with. I can wake up my neighbors right now if I turn my 15 watt piece of crap amp all the way up, and I live in a 4 BR house separated.
Last edited by Rt1Rebel at Aug 1, 2010,
if thats how much you wanna spend on just the guitar you can easily find something better than a squier. i started out on one and replaced it less than a year later. ill tell you what most people say and just go into a local music store and try a few out that are in your price range
Another piece of advice: go to the GC or whatever superstore you can get to and try out used guitars. You might be amazed at what you can find and afford.. If that dfoesn't pan out, well, you now have palyed a few more guitars.
Okay then, I'll try to go to a music store sometime this week and see what they have in my price range I guess.
Quote by G3ck0

They're good for the price range I think. Get a value pack like this one: http://www.allansmusic.com.au/prod/125895/Squier_SE_Special_Strat_SP10_Pack.aspxit may be a bit over your budget but it has everything you need
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

^Those really don't have a better sound than a Squire.

But they're different. The Squire has single coil pickups, while the Speciall II has humbucker pickups.

It seems like you know absolutely nothing about electric guitars, so this will help you. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=365675

Read through that, as it will help you a lot.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
That link is helpful. Seeing as I really want to play a lot of Green Day at the moment, stuff from American Idiot mainly, I'm guessing a Gibson would be better as that's what Billy Joe uses? But for a beginner like me, would it really matter between Single Coil and Humbuckers?
No, I guess not, my very first guitar was a First Act with single coils, but if you want something that you'll actually want to keep, you might as well get something with specs that you want.

The most important thing you can do right now is get to a store and try out different guitars, try to find out what feels good in your hands. There are a lot of different brands, and they each have their own feel, so you have to sort through them and find something that is right for you.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I think I have decided on a Sunburst Bullet Squire (can get it for $189), and apparently the Roland Cube amps are good, so I might get a second hand one for cheap off eBay or something.