Hey guys.. I was just curious if anyone had any experience with a Strat-style guitar with a solid maple body. I am contemplating building one, but it will obviously be much heavier than a regular Stratocaster and this could be a problem. I play a Les Paul, do you think it would be heavier than that?

I play mostly in recording environments, so the guitar would not be used for gigging, but I want to be able to stand up and play. I definitely prefer heavy, dense guitars--which is why I was considering building a maple-bodied Strat (along with the bright tone)--but this could end up being too heavy. I thought it could be neat, but I wanted to see if anyone had any complaints first..

If anyone has any info, let me know.. Thanks!
Even if you do build the guitar and then find out it is to heavy. You could customize it slightly and make it a hollow section. although this would change the guitars tone significantly. Give it a go.
Quote by BitteEinBit1817
Hey guys.. I was just curious if anyone had any experience with a Strat-style guitar with a solid maple body. I am contemplating building one, but it will obviously be much heavier than a regular Stratocaster and this could be a problem. I play a Les Paul, do you think it would be heavier than that?

I play mostly in recording environments, so the guitar would not be used for gigging, but I want to be able to stand up and play. I definitely prefer heavy, dense guitars--which is why I was considering building a maple-bodied Strat (along with the bright tone)--but this could end up being too heavy. I thought it could be neat, but I wanted to see if anyone had any complaints first..

If anyone has any info, let me know.. Thanks!
Check out the G&L Rampage here - click.

# Body wood: Soft maple
# Neck: Bolt-on hard rock maple
# Fingerboard: Ebony

I'd say it would sound far too bright. I'd assume it would have a maple neck so a basically all maple guitar is going to be brighter than hell, through a few single coils in there and I'd imagine it would be annoyingly trebly. Maybe you could use a mahogany back with a thinner maple cap to maintain something a bit more trebly, but not annoyingly so. And if you are just going to paint it, an unfigured cap should be cheap.
Chain:
Fingers -> Schecter Damien FR -> Fulltone OCD -> ABY Box -> Bugera V22 / Peavey 6505+
I have heard a all maple guitar, had a oil finish. Was indeed a strat shape, custom made for a touring blues player. Sounded super bright, i thought the tone was annoying as hell, imo.

Just my personal experience.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Quote by metalwarrior40
I have heard a all maple guitar, had a oil finish. Was indeed a strat shape, custom made for a touring blues player. Sounded super bright, i thought the tone was annoying as hell, imo.

Just my personal experience.
Nope! I was tempted to snag one. Clean was awesome and through a high gain amp, massive!

Check out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hft_W3pA_bE

My Ibanez RX that I've Andy Timmons-ized has a solid maple body. It's def. a bit heavier than a regular strat, but it sounds fantastic.

Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.