so yea, i have been playing guitar for 3 and a half years, so far im doing well, but ive noticed that im stuck with the same stuff, my improvisation aint that bad but the thing is its got really limited stuff, like, i only do E pentatonic scale, some blues variations but not a big deal, and some arpeggios, which i can sweep pretty good. As for scales, I only truly know (with truly i mean, dominate in the hole neck) E pentatonic, and A harmonic minor. id like to know more scales to work on certain keys, like E or A or F sharp. cuz in my song solos, whenever theres a riff with E, I just play the e pentatonic or E harmonic minor, for instance, the same would be with A, or G. THE POINT IS, THAT I DONT KNOW WHAT OTHER SCALES CAN I USE IN CERTAIN KEY, please help me out, thanks!
Maybe I have a noob perspective on this but I don't understand how you can completely dominate the E pentatonic and not know it in all other keys, isn't it the same scale moved depending on what key you're playing in?
+1

Actually learn what the minor pentatonic scale IS. Learn how it's constructed, learn how and why it can be used and learn how to use it in all keys. However, to do that properly you'll really need to understand the major scale as that's your point of reference.

So...

Learn the notes on your fretboard.
Learn the basics of intervals and learn how to construct the major scale - that should keep you going for a while.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
well, I do know the e pentatonic on any key, stupid if i didnt.
i didnt express my question quite well, sorry
the E in E pentatonic is the key of the scale. each scale in each key has 5 shapes

as Mark said take a look at the major scale learn all 5 shapes, learn every note on the fretboard......we could go into the 7 modes then thier dominant and diminshed variants by looking at the harmonic minor scale then you`ve got blues scales and it`s variants, major and minor 7th scale, whole tone scales....

now i`ve completely confused you go back and learn how to use the pentatonics both major and minor then learn how to use the Major scale

get this book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gig-Bag-Book-Scales-Guitarists/dp/0825615755/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1280782612&sr=8-1

it`s got nearly every scale in there
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Aug 2, 2010,
Quote by COBShredder

If you're playing in a different key then you're not using E (minor I'm assuming) pentatonic, you're using something-else minor pentatonic.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by COBShredder

That doesn't make sense. You can't know the key of E in other keys.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.