Safety first! Long story short, While working on a guitar neck I accidentally inhaled glue fumes even though I knew there would be fumes. It happened because I didn't anticipate disaster, My nose and lungs burned so bad that I made a beeline to my workshop's door to get air. If I had anticipated this I wouldn't have inhaled the fumes. Always anticipate and prepare for the worst to prevent it, No matter how safe things may seem. That includes unplugging saws to change the blades too, If the on/off switch ends up being funky... Well, use your imagination. And yes, I will be much more careful in my workshop now.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
i knew a guy who got a piece of metal lodged in his eye. he was just doing some "quick work" and didn't have on safety goggles, and ended up saying it was one of the most painful things he's experienced. can't be too careful!
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
I hear that man, when I was in high school I did all sorts of painting and fiberglassing with no respirator. Now I have basically no sense of smell. I always thought using push sticks and stuff was dumb back then too, but I wear gloves now (force of habit from work) and I knicked my gloves on a table saw and jointer one night. That really freaked me out, I push stick the shit of of everything now. I hope you're doing ok dude, but what glue were you using? I've never heard of such a problem with Titebond.
Chain:
Fingers -> Schecter Damien FR -> Fulltone OCD -> ABY Box -> Bugera V22 / Peavey 6505+
Quote by xstillspinninx
I hope you're doing ok dude, but what glue were you using? I've never heard of such a problem with Titebond.

i'm guessing it wasn't wood glue, probably so kinda of contact cement or something. I know that shit they use on pvc pipes is stout.
Damn. How else am I supposed to put blood, sweat, and tears into all my builds? Also, what finish best seals blood, sweat, and tears? Tung oil? Or Nitro?
Life is about taking risks, as long as the risks aren't too risky.
Quote by acrtl1000s
Damn. How else am I supposed to put blood, sweat, and tears into all my builds? Also, what finish best seals blood, sweat, and tears? Tung oil? Or Nitro?

Mix a 50/50 mix of shellac with a mixture of blood sweat and tears, then french polish. It's even better if you're french.
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
i knew a guy who got a piece of metal lodged in his eye. he was just doing some "quick work" and didn't have on safety goggles, and ended up saying it was one of the most painful things he's experienced. can't be too careful!

I did this recently. My router cutter caught the edge of a piece of metal bar I was using to guide it, then a tiny splinter landed just to the side of my cornea. I had to get it flicked out in A&E.

Also, to TS... what kind of glue were you using?! I'd say the best way to avoid this is to use something water-based, like Titebond Original. I like to avoid anything with a strong solvent in... using stuff like that just gives me the willies.
Doesn't sound like Pritt Stick either...
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Getting a piece of metal in one's eye? Dang, I'm definitely keeping my goggles on. For those wondering what glue I was using, I was using Stewmac's 10 Viscosity Superglue. This superglue can sometimes get rather hot while it dries but perhaps the wood dust I was using had been exposed to superglue accelerator. I didn't think to hold my breath, I know that was stupid now. The thing is that I was going to leave my workshop shortly after at 11PM and for some reason while cleaning up I decided to work a little more. This is probably part of what made me not think right, I was rushing a bit to get out of my workshop and poof, I inhaled the fumes. I'm still feeling the effects today, My nose is still clogged up although I should be better tomorrow or the next day.
Always tin your strings.

_____

yea... lol i have had to many almost painful experience with different tools.. lol... drillpress....bandssaw....drop saw....nailgun w/ no safty.....
either epoxy or superglue i'm going to assume... superglue gets downright nasty real fast.

hmmm... i probably don't have very good sense of smell cuz i shoot lacquer sans mask... thats just cuz I like getting high off of the fumes for a little while though
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by xstillspinninx
but I wear gloves now (force of habit from work) and I knicked my gloves on a table saw and jointer one night. .

Your lucky the table saw and jointer did not grab ahold of the glove and pull your hand into the blade. If something is rotating, you don't want to wear gloves.
Quote by Rusty_Chisel
Your lucky the table saw and jointer did not grab ahold of the glove and pull your hand into the blade. If something is rotating, you don't want to wear gloves.

I didn't realize this sort of thing could happen, Thanks for posting it. Speaking of which, Any loose clothing or hair can spell disaster in a workshop too. I'm sure lots of people know this but just think of the possibilities!
Always tin your strings.

_____

Quote by Rusty_Chisel

Never thought of that. It was the blades on both, on the table saw I was cutting a .5-.75" laminate for the neck and didn't realize my push hand was getting so close. There is a pad on the thumb side of the index finger on that pair of gloves and it caught a tooth or two or maybe just rubbed the side of the blade while I was adjusting my hand. As for the jointer, it was the seam at the tip of the middle finger, I didn't realize the seam hung over so much farther than my finger did. Well, as I pushed it over the blade the seam caught on the blade, again not a huge gash just a knick, but still! I would have been in a bit of trouble if it was me getting hit and not the gloves.
Chain:
Fingers -> Schecter Damien FR -> Fulltone OCD -> ABY Box -> Bugera V22 / Peavey 6505+
Wood fumes can be pretty toxic too, especially some of the exotics that are used in guitars. You should be wearing a face mask any time you work with wood, not only when gluing or painting.
Quote by earthwormjim
Wood fumes can be pretty toxic too, especially some of the exotics that are used in guitars. You should be wearing a face mask any time you work with wood, not only when gluing or painting.

Actually I think it was a mix of glue fumes, wood fumes and possibly accelerator fumes. I was gluing wood dust in place to fill a nut slot. I have a respirator mask coming form Amazon now, As long as I wear it while I work this sort of thing won't happen again.
Always tin your strings.

_____

damnit I'm scared now I was going to apply for a job/apprenticeship kinda thing at a luthier.
I've heard both to wear gloves and not wear gloves. I think ill get some welding gloves and medieval gauntlets to go over them just to be safe.
Life is about taking risks, as long as the risks aren't too risky.
Quote by petmyhat
damnit I'm scared now I was going to apply for a job/apprenticeship kinda thing at a luthier.

As long as you are always careful and you take precautions and always keep your mind on what you're doing and what could happen you should be fine. I never had any accidents before the fumes although I did inhale wood dust over so many hours in the workhop and on two occasions it caused horrible coughing. That's not exactly an accident though.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Yeah, I heard wood dust can be bad too. I read a craigslist ad where a guy was selling off his ENTIRE workshop and it was a badass workshop too... I think the "buy the whole thing" price was like $2500 and that was a good deal for what was it in. He said in the description that the wood dust had messed up his stuff somehow and the doctor told him he couldn't breath anymore of that in, so he had to get out of wood working. How sad right? I'd rather die happy, I think.
Chain:
Quote by xstillspinninx
Yeah, I heard wood dust can be bad too. I read a craigslist ad where a guy was selling off his ENTIRE workshop and it was a badass workshop too... I think the "buy the whole thing" price was like $2500 and that was a good deal for what was it in. He said in the description that the wood dust had messed up his stuff somehow and the doctor told him he couldn't breath anymore of that in, so he had to get out of wood working. How sad right? I'd rather die happy, I think.

Just wear a mask from the start and you can live happy and not worry about having to die
I use security goggles for everything. It comes in handy when soldering wires and one comes loose ...flicks solder in your face. Sweet. You can never be too careful.
yea i was soldering and a wire heated up and popped out of the solder and flicked molten solder into the corner of my eye....... it was terrible.....
Quote by xstillspinninx

Believe me, You'd rather not inhale wood dust. I've had experience with that and after I inhaled enough it seemed like it coated the insides of my lungs and there was a film in my windpipe. Always wear a respiratory mask when sanding, No excuses. No respirator, Don't work. Heck, Do it even when belt sanding guitar nuts.

Quote by kiaba94
yea i was soldering and a wire heated up and popped out of the solder and flicked molten solder into the corner of my eye....... it was terrible.....

I've managed to get solder on my skin before but... In one's eye... Yikes!
Always tin your strings.

_____

Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Aug 7, 2010,
it hurt terribly....... but im ok!! it was my first time soldering a pickguard..... lol