Page 1 of 2
This is not nice on the ears. At all. There's a reason most instruments don't have quarter tones.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by genghisgandhi
There ya go. I loved it.

hey you can't do that that's not how quotes work
I'll believe in anything and you'll believe in anything.
last.fm
I read the comments, and I must agree, my brain is full of **** now.

Pretty interesting though.
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
That was pretty damn cool. It reminded me of someone screwing around with a tape recording of a normal piano piece.
You know what it sounds like? An out of tune piano.

Quote by bendystraw
I feel like I just took PCP.

How much? A gallon?
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by esccp1, 4 days ago
My brain is full of FUCK

I agree.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
It's a good idea, but I've never heard it used tastefully. All the quarter tone pieces I've heard just seem to be shouting "LOOK AT ALL THE FUCKING NOTES I HAVE" and just end up having the same quirky out-of-tune sound as every other one.

I'm sure eventually someone's going to use it well and it'll sound like they've unlocked a whole new musical dimension, but I've not heard it done yet. Still cool though.

Also, nyaaah that isn't a song.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
I wonder if people used quarter tone in popular music since the 1500s if are ears would have developed to be used to it.
Tuning in quartertones is seriously the most boring form of microtonal tuning. It doesn't even attempt to move away from 12-tone equal temperament; instead, it just chops it in half and makes it 24-tone equal temperament.

I strongly prefer Harry Partch's music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMqXP56bMhY&feature=related
Quote by TomusAM
I wonder if people used quarter tone in popular music since the 1500s if are ears would have developed to be used to it.

I don't think so. Some things sound good, some things don't. Its just how our ears work. If quarter tones sounded good 500 years ago, those composers would have used them.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by Trowzaa
This is not nice on the ears. At all.

To you. Some Eastern civilizations utilize quarter tones in their music quite often. Sparingly, but still quite frequently.
Last edited by MeGaDeth2314 at Aug 2, 2010,
Quote by TomusAM

I don't know, I think it's possible this sort of music sounds inherently odd to us. If you listen to certain Arabic or Indian music that has always used microtones, we don't shit our pants; it's just that this sort of music is trying to do the same thing with microtones as we've always done with the Western musical system.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by genghisgandhi
Yeah, your point?

lol

Edit: What would notation for quarter tones look like? Western music is based using half tones right?

PS: Is it half tones or semi tones?
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Last edited by GibsonMan321 at Aug 2, 2010,
^It uses half-sharps and half-flats.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarter_tone_scale

Quote by whalepudding
I don't know, I think it's possible this sort of music sounds inherently odd to us. If you listen to certain Arabic or Indian music that has always used microtones, we don't shit our pants; it's just that this sort of music is trying to do the same thing with microtones as we've always done with the Western musical system.

The Arabic and Indian systems are just intonation systems, though, so they don't clash with the natural harmonics produced by the instruments. You could make the partials based around 24-tone equal temperament in a computer, though, and it most likely would make the piece more palatable/listenable.

EDIT: Actually, the Arabic tuning system is 24-tet. At least the modern one is. My mistake.
Last edited by Holy Katana at Aug 2, 2010,
That Harry Partch guy sounded almost just as bad.
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
I think a fair amount of this microtonal stuff is just for people who like being open minded for the sake of being open minded...
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
My brain, is indeed

full of FUCK

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by GibsonMan321
lol

Edit: What would notation for quarter tones look like? Western music is based using half tones right?

PS: Is it half tones or semi tones?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Partial_accidentals.svg
Sweet candy populous...

a worry free entrance...

into the world's history.

Quote by bartdevil_metal
The yellow envelope with the dot in it makes me e-orgasm.

Quote by Gman400
That Harry Partch guy sounded almost just as bad.

As I posted it, I had a very strong feeling that someone would say this.
Quote by whalepudding

So, based on what you and Itchy guitar said, it makes me think: We would have to reinvent a notation and scale system, basically make a new form of theory, to make use of these tones. I mean, we don't use all the notes of the chromatic scale, so why use all the quarter tones of the key you're playing in? Maybe a QQHQQHW scale, just to throw out a random example. There has got to be a way to use these and make them sound musical. Hell, I have seen people use dial-up sounds to make music, so I am pretty sure anything can be used in a musical situation

EDIT!!: Just checked out Jarusafes' post. Pretty interesting stuff
Last edited by TomusAM at Aug 2, 2010,
Quote by Holy Katana
As I posted it, I had a very strong feeling that someone would say this.

I actually really enjoyed it. I'm listening to more of his work as we speak.
Sweet candy populous...

a worry free entrance...

into the world's history.

Quote by bartdevil_metal
The yellow envelope with the dot in it makes me e-orgasm.

Quote by TomusAM
So, based on what you and Itchy guitar said, it makes me think: We would have to reinvent a notation and scale system, basically make a new form of theory, to make use of these tones. I mean, we don't use all the notes of the chromatic scale, so why use all the quarter tones of the key you're playing in? Maybe a QQHQQHW scale, just to throw out a random example. There has got to be a way to use these and make them sound musical. Hell, I have seen people use dial-up sounds to make music, so I am pretty sure anything can be used in a musical situation

EDIT!!: Just checked out Jarusafes' post. Pretty interesting stuff

That's how the Arabs use quartertones. They have hundreds of different modes, or maqams (more correctly, maqamat, but whatever).

Quote by Jarusafes
I actually really enjoyed it. I'm listening to more of his work as we speak.

He's got my vote for the best gay composer ever, as well as the best microtonal one.
Last edited by Holy Katana at Aug 2, 2010,
i think rock music needs to induct this somehow in order to make it pleasing to the ear, youll see someone will make it soon
Quote by actaderock
i think rock music needs to induct this somehow in order to make it pleasing to the ear, youll see someone will make it soon

Various avant-garde rock bands have experimented with microtonalism; it's not like microtones are anything new. Although there are countless possibilities for microtonal tuning systems. I have a program called Scala that has several thousand microtonal and macrotonal tunings. You can send tuning data to a compatible synth or keyboard with it, too.
Quote by whalepudding
It's a good idea, but I've never heard it used tastefully. All the quarter tone pieces I've heard just seem to be shouting "LOOK AT ALL THE FUCKING NOTES I HAVE" and just end up having the same quirky out-of-tune sound as every other one.
+1
Quote by Holy Katana
He's got my vote for the best gay composer ever, as well as the best microtonal one.

Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
*Tchaikovsky*

Yes, I'm aware of Tchaikovsky's homosexuality. He just doesn't get my vote. I do love his Sixth Symphony, though.
Quote by Holy Katana
It was based on his experiences as a hobo during the Depression.

Oh, I guess that makes sense then, haha.
Quote by Trowzaa
This is not nice on the ears. At all. There's a reason most instruments don't have quarter tones.

I agree with this.
Quote by jeff541
Can't say it sounds beautiful.
It does for a few moments, here and there. But mostly it's sort of annoying.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
It does for a few moments, here and there. But mostly it's sort of annoying.

+1,000,000

I liked some of it, but the whole time my head was full of fuck.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Page 1 of 2