Page 1 of 2
I am considering buying my friend's old electric guitar because I'll get it for cheap, $50. It's a First Act Overtone. I know it's not great but is it worth it? I'm a 15 year old with no job so it's not like a can spend a lot.
how long have you been playing? first acts are pretty shitty but its $50

so its better than nothing

if you dont have an electric and want one u might as well for that price
It would be alright as a first guitar. How much money are you willing to spend?
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

E-Married to the sexy DarkConcertine

and Jon777 .

Quote by TorturedSoul666
I wouldn't pay more than $25 for it, $30 tops.

lol i got 2 "gibson" maestros at a flea market for $50

one of the worst guitars ive ever played.... ive still got it
Quote by rickyj
lol i got 2 "gibson" maestros at a flea market for $50

one of the worst guitars ive ever played.... ive still got it

I still have my first Squier Bullet
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

E-Married to the sexy DarkConcertine

and Jon777 .

well i really cant spend a lot. i havent been playing long at all and ive been playin on my dads 12 string acoustic and im just now getting sorta decent. id really like an electric guitar though.
alright. he'd offered to pay for it but i dont want either of us wasting money on it if its really crappy. whats a decent and affordable, good first guitar?
Quote by TorturedSoul666
I wouldn't pay more than $25 for it, $30 tops.

They go in pawn shops for $30, missing some of the hardware.

Save up for a "Standard" Squier (not a Bullet or even an Affinity)--you know you found the right one if it has 22 Frets. It should be $229 new, but it has all the same specs as an American Fender Strat (except it's made from agathis instead of alder). Over time, you can upgrade it with real Fender parts from the Deluxe line (locking tuners, deluxe bridge, S-1 electronics, great pickups) and get all the functionality of a $1,550 guitar for under $700.
Quote by jetwash69
They go in pawn shops for $30, missing some of the hardware.

Save up for a "Standard" Squier (not a Bullet or even an Affinity)--you know you found the right one if it has 22 Frets. It should be $229 new, but it has all the same specs as an American Fender Strat (except it's made from agathis instead of alder). Over time, you can upgrade it with real Fender parts from the Deluxe line (locking tuners, deluxe bridge, S-1 electronics, great pickups) and get all the functionality of a $1,550 guitar for under $700.

i agree with this. with the added suggestion to go used. but if your a metal guy then do what that one guy said and get a jackson JS series guitar, again go used.
I'd get one of the Squier packs. Sure they're around $200, but you'd need an amp, a cable, and probably a strap with this other guitar, which means that your "$50" guitar would cost you more like $150 anyway. At that point, you might as well get a decent brand name product that has a warranty.

If $50 includes the amp ... then take it and run. It's a godawful guitar and the amps they package with them are just as bad ... but I honestly can't picture anyone being able to build a guitar and an amp that isn't worth $50 together. At the very least, you could continue to use the amp for a while once you could afford a guitar that stays in tune, and you could use the First Act as a trial run for all the dumb crap - I mean 'customization' - that you'll eventually want to experiment with.
Quote by jean_genie
...and you could use the First Act as a trial run for all the dumb crap - I mean 'customization' - that you'll eventually want to experiment with.

Yeah, I didn't know enough to buy the Standard Squier, so I bought an Affinity as a travel guitar. Now it has a diamond plate pickguard, Deluxe electronics (but with 2 volumes and 2 tones), & it's configured with 2 humbuckers (Seymour Duncan Jazz & an old Duncan Designs Detonator--that went microphonic). I recently fitted iti with the locking tuners after I broke 2 of the Squier tuners. Other than having 21 frets, it's just as niice to play as my Made In America Strat. I might even leave in the microphic pickup--kind of a cool gimmick for the stage--screaming into the guitar for a verse or 2.

But all this would have been better on a Standard--had to pay about double for the custom pick guard for the Afifinity. The Standards use the same pick guards as the American Strats, but most Affiinitys are different from each other and if you want to replace them, you need a custom one cut from a tracing of the original.

Whatever you do don't get a Starcaster--they're worse than the cheapest Squiers, but cost as much as a halfway decent Squier.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Aug 2, 2010,
OK i forgot to mention, my dad has an amp because he had an electric way back and had to sell it. so im covered for an amp. im thinkin ill save for one of the Squiers. Is the affinity really that bad? cause ive seen reviews and it looks great and its way cheaper than the standard squier
Last edited by mereed at Aug 2, 2010,
Quote by mereed
OK i forgot to mention, my dad has an amp because he had an electric way back and had to sell it. so im covered for an amp. im thinkin ill save for one of the Squiers. Is the affinity really that bad? cause ive seen reviews and it looks great and its way cheaper than the standard squier

man, get the standard, you will thank us later man. trust me. for the love of god.
if your thinking the price is too steep look on craigslist also. you'll find one for a good price, might already be modded too.
If its $50 bucks who cares if it sucks, its only 50 bucks. First Acts arent that great but like I said for $50 bucks why not. I'd buy it.
My Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 75w
- Epiphone SG G-310(Added Seymour Duncan's)
- Epiphone Black Beauty III
- Ibanez RG200
- Squier Telecaster Retrovibe
- John
Quote by SilverRock113
all of first act guitars suck

the cheap ones suck.

the american made ones do not.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
If you're shopping in the 200$ pricerange, you'd want to check the Ibanez starterpackages. I've got a GR jumpstartpackage guitar+amp, and I still don't think I need to upgrade it, and I've had it for about 3 years now.
Quote by poopsmith666
thats pretty epic actually.

-Cheap classical guitar
-Cheap western
-Ibanez GRX70 jumpstart package
-Shine bass + Eden Nemesis en8jr 25W
ive got a 2002 20th anniversary squier affinity strat, and its not a bad guitar.
granted its not great for metal but it does far more then a lot of guitars in its price range do.

also look at http://irylan.com/rondoguitars

they have some very nice guitars.
Whats ur budget for guitar? and what type of music will u be playing?
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
ill be playin mostly classic rock but i hate metal. to put it in perspective, my favorite bands are u2 and the beatles
check out Xaviere guitars.
http://store.guitarfetish.com/xaviereguitars.html

and if u are getting a Squier, at least get a Standard model. Dont get the affinity. If u can, get the Squier Classic Vibe series. They cost $350 but it's worth it. They're really good.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by SilverRock113
all of first act guitars suck

tell that to bent hinds, bill kelliher, and matt pike.

brent has 3 first acts.
Quote by holycow
check out Xaviere guitars.
http://store.guitarfetish.com/xaviereguitars.html

and if u are getting a Squier, at least get a Standard model. Dont get the affinity. If u can, get the Squier Classic Vibe series. They cost $350 but it's worth it. They're really good.

HOLY ****IN HELL!!!!!
those xavieres are absolutely gorgeous.
Quote by jimihendrix6699
tell that to bent hinds, bill kelliher, and matt pike.

brent has 3 first acts.

Who the hell are any of them?
Quote by TorturedSoul666

just so you know, i hate you.

its 50 bucks though, and i love crappy guitars, so do it!
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
I'm not saying the Affinity is bad, just that the Standard is more versatile and only about $50 more, so might as well. It's like the quality & functionality difference between a Mexican Strat and an American Strat, but at 10% of that price difference.

The $350 Squires are very nice, but they're in the Vintage style, so functionally they're just like a Mexican strat. I'd take them over a Mex any day, but why limit yourself to 21 frets?

Hold off till you're making a lot more money to get into the true metal guitars (24 Frets & Floyd Rose Trems). The Floyd needs to be set up for one tuning and stay there, otherwise you're defeating the whole purpose of a Floyd Rose. So you'll need at least one for standard tuning, one for Drop D, and maybe another for C and another for Drop C. But you can do that after college (you might not be able to afford all those guitars and good tube amps if you don't go to college right away after highschool).
Quote by primusclaypool1
just so you know, i hate you.

its 50 bucks though, and i love crappy guitars, so do it!

Really why?

And to TS, have you thought about used guitars?
Quote by jimihendrix6699
mastodon and high on fire...

I've heard of Mastodon, didn't like them. I've never heard of High On Fire, any recommendations?
Quote by TorturedSoul666

Mastodon, Mastodon, Sleep/High on Fire. Some of the most metal motherfuckers on the planet.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by TorturedSoul666
I've heard of Mastodon, didn't like them. I've never heard of High On Fire, any recommendations?

Mastodon- Remission, if you like balls to the wall metal, Crack the Skye, if you like progressive stuff

High On Fire- pretty much balls to the wall all the time

Sleep- a bit more chilled, Holy Mountain is my favorite.
I can't take this tortured soul dude seriously.

But First Act makes...crap guitars but, for $50 it's better than nothing. But if you're willing to save up, Squier Standards are nice.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass (Ginger =])
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Choice is a wonderful thing.
Quote by Nolanrox
I can't take this tortured soul dude seriously.

But First Act makes...crap guitars but, for $50 it's better than nothing. But if you're willing to save up, Squier Standards are nice.

their low end ones are. but their usa and customs are good guitars.
Quote by jimihendrix6699
their low end ones are. but their usa and customs are good guitars.

Trust me, I know.
I would kill for their USA ones.
And I want the dude from Every Time I Die's Pink Tiger Striped Sheena.
That thing is beautiful.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass (Ginger =])
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Choice is a wonderful thing.
Quote by Nolanrox
Trust me, I know.
I would kill for their USA ones.
And I want the dude from Every Time I Die's Pink Tiger Striped Sheena.
That thing is beautiful.

the Sheena's are gooood looking guitars. i love the look of brent hind's off set horns guitar, or his double neck.
Page 1 of 2