Hello there, i bought a slash epiphone gold top. The guitar is nice, but not upto my expectations, being an epiphone. So, i am planning to upgrade some of its components.

I havent done any upgrades to any of my guitars. I dont like the Tuners, they feel loose and dont hold tunning well, and since i am planning to change the tuners i am planning to replace the nut and MAYBE the bridge as well
This is what i am looking at:
1- Tuners: Grover Vintage (Any other advices?) i dont want to drill holes n stuff i am not experienced!!!
2- Nut: Graphtech (Tusk or Tusk XL) (Which size fits my guitar?) (1-11''/16'') is the width given on epiphone site nothing matches on graphtech site!
3- Tonepros TonePros Model AVR-II (Is this the right bridge?) or can i install a regular tunomatic?

Whenever i tune the guitar i hear a "ping noise" and i feel that a better quality hardware will churn this guitar's capability and playability, eliminate fret buzz and make it sound better.

Now, how hard is it to perform the above mentioned mods, as i am planning to do it my self cause guitar techs are scarse here and i have to order these items online so i cant do trial and error.

On a final note, the guitar looks awesome and the pickups sounds great i really like it but i would like to enhance it.....

Appreciate your input guys.

Thanks.
as far as playability goes - have your properly set up the guitar? in the electric guitar forum I believe there is a sticky on setups.

tuners - definitely change those. I've heard good things about grover, schaller, sperzel and gotoh. pretty much anything by them should be good. I've got some gotoh locking tuners on my guitar and love em.

as for the rest - no idea.
really all of those upgrades shouldnt be too difficult except maybe the nut(hardest part is getting the old one off and the new one in straight)

everything else is really just screws and nuts.

tuners should all be interchangeable but you better make damn sure that you got the right bridge otherwise if you cant return it you just wasted some money.

to be honest i would just replace the tuners with locking gotohs or shallers or something that shoudl fix your stability problems.

as for the ping noises youve probably got an action problem look in the electric guitar forum there should be a thread on how to fix it
Last edited by rickyj at Aug 2, 2010,
Thanks guys for the replies, yes i got the guitar professionally set and thats the best luthier could do. still tuners dont hold tune and i feel that the bridge and nut are cheap......i feel its a crime for such a beautiful body,finish and pick ups not to be complimented with good quality hardware........bridge is a confusing part!!!!
Quote by KKND
Whenever i tune the guitar i hear a "ping noise"
this indicates string binding, either at the nut or bridge. (more likely the nut)

make sure your nut slots are wide enough for the strings you're using and mbe use some "nut sauce". (a graphite-based lubricant)

also, read the string wrapping section of the setup guide in the EG forum. you will still have poor tuning stability with strings improperly wrapped on great tuners.

you might find that some of your problems can be solved without replacing any hardware at all.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by LeviMan_2001
I vote 1 for replacing the bridge. Those shitty retainer wire bridges rattle quite annoyingly. It gives an aura of cheap. Although there are some tricks to tighten up those things.

So i dont have to get a vintage retainer wire type of bridge, i can just get a standard TOM, say Gotoh or Tonepros?

Thanks
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
this indicates string binding, either at the nut or bridge. (more likely the nut)

make sure your nut slots are wide enough for the strings you're using and mbe use some "nut sauce". (a graphite-based lubricant)

also, read the string wrapping section of the setup guide in the EG forum. you will still have poor tuning stability with strings improperly wrapped on great tuners.

you might find that some of your problems can be solved without replacing any hardware at all.

Ya, when I first started playing guitar I would incorrectly wind the strings around the tuners with next to no slack, so they would either snap or not stay in tune at all. But, coming from a luthier I would hope that it was done correclty.

Usually a proper setup takes care of stuff like that. My Epiphone Hummingbird wasn't that great when I got it, but new strings and proper setup made it sound completly different. Sounds pretty good.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)