I've gone to a few sites to try to figure out which scales are most important to learn, but haven't gotten a straightforward answer. Can someone list the most important scales to learn? The only one I know so far is A-minor Penatonic
Scales aren't really useful unless you know what you're doing with them.

Learn the basics: musictheory.net
i don't know why i feel so dry
Most scales are derived from the major scale.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
The only one you can really class as important is the major scale as that's the cornerstone of music theory, pretty much everything else is either based on it or described in reference to it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Before continuing on, I think you should learn how to apply that pentatonic scale you have there to other keys and use it in the context of a song.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Before continuing on, I think you should learn how to apply that pentatonic scale you have there to other keys and use it in the context of a song.

I know the penatonic applies to more than A minor, but the only reason I know it was in A minor (or what it was called for that matter) was from a GuitarWorld lesson about how to play like Randy Rhoads. I'm clueless when it comes to the names and terms and such.
Quote by EddieRowan
I know the penatonic applies to more than A minor

Sure, but I don't think you know HOW to apply it to other keys yet.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Sure, but I don't think you know HOW to apply it to other keys yet.

Either way it goes, I'm still new to learning scales and chords and whatnot, and can't read sheet music to save my life, despite having picked up guitar 3 years ago.
Definitely go to the site I linked. It will teach you all of the basics. Scales will make way more sense.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by EddieRowan
Either way it goes, I'm still new to learning scales and chords and whatnot, and can't read sheet music to save my life, despite having picked up guitar 3 years ago.

That's all good - I can't really read sheet music either. But you can obviously see that it's not worth learning something if you don't know how to use it.
Soundcloud
The major scale is the most important to learn. Once you understand it you can build any scale off it. I am in the process of mastering the major scale. I had learned all the shapes of the pentatonic first. And although it got me up and rocking fast, I see what I can do potentially with the major scale.

I'm chipping away at it. wish me luck
My Music! Click to hear!
Gear
Lefty 2003 MIM Strat w/Lace Sensors
Lefty Ovation Celeb
Lefty Epi SG G400

Peavey Encore 65 Tube
Peavey Envoy 110 SS

Boss CS-3
Boss DD-3
Vintage DOD Flanger
MT-2 (yuck)
Big Muff Pi
Boss RC-2 Loop Pedal
The major scale is important for theory. Pentatonic is a good scale for beginners to start soloing with.
Aside from major and minor pentatonic scales. I would suggest the major and natural minor scale. In the key of C, the major scale will be C,D,E,F,G,A,B,C or whole step, whole step, half step, whole step, whole step, whole step, half step. To get the natural minor scale, the 3rd, 6th and 7th are flatted. C natural minor scale: C,D,Eb,F,G,Ab,Bb,C or whole step, half step, whole step, half step, whole step, whole step.
For every major scale, there is a relative minor scale which is the natural minor scale.
For example, the relative minor scale of C major is A minor. They shared the same notes, the only difference is starting on the root.

I would suggest considering memorizing all the key signatures which will help with building scales.
Once you feel comfortable with the major and natural minor scales, you can consider harmonic and melodic minor scales, and after that the modes.