Hello,

I've been recently working on bass sweeps on a 4 strings bass, and i seem to have trouble with my ring finger, especially when i have to cover the same fret on 2 consecutive strings, as in barring i guess.

I know that the ring finger is the weakest finger, so I've been working on that, like those hammer ons exercises Petrucci and Myung talk about. However, although it is improving my ring finger's strength, it's not affecting my sweeping.

Any suggestions on how to improve or solve this problem? Such as a particular finger exercise or anything similar.

Thank you in advance.
Hmm This is pushing me even more into doing a Bass Sweeping instructional vid because I watched A LOT a few years back and didn't get any help at all. Once I started approaching it as a guitar technique and researched a lot of Frank Gambale articles on rules of sweeping, I started really getting the hang of it.

I'll pm you when I make the video(s?), should be before the week is over because there's a lot of key points to remember that I don't feel like typing out at this time =P
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
I use the thumb-index method actually. What about you?
Changing the shape will just let me get used to running away from this shape, and i mean i don't want that.. I think i'm going to take it real slow for now and see where i'm going.

I was thinking of checking guitarists as well. I'll check Gambale out!

Quote by King Of Suede
I'll pm you when I make the video(s?), should be before the week is over because there's a lot of key points to remember that I don't feel like typing out at this time =P

That would be much appreciated, thank you in advance, make sure you pm me!
Well, while it's just jumping around the issue, for a minor arpeggio sweep, you can avoid using the ring finger altogether, by play root on first, third on second, fifth on third, octave on fourth and then hammering on to the octave of the third, pulling off and going down the same shape.
Well, once you're certain of the strength, you have to go back and practise your sweeps.

Start off slow, and really high up the frets, once you're fast, go slow again but a bit lower and so on...

Just KEEP practising.
Yeah i see what you mean, but oh well, i'll have to train that ring finger one day!
That's what i'm trying to do for now!
Thank you for the advice everyone!