Hi, i know theres alot of this type of question but i cant find what i want in the other threads.

Im looking for a gig worthy amp and i have about £300, The band plays a mixture of music but more on the Green day style Punk pop side. Im looking for an amp that can would stand up in a medium to large space.

So far it looks like Ebay is the most likley place to find an amp in my price range.

Any suggestions would be great. thanks
Last edited by Matt.hat. at Aug 9, 2010,
Well, I had a Vox AD30VT which became not loud enough, but the 50VT of the other guitarist is loud enough. But now I`m buying a Kustom Defender, and if you crank the gain all the way up (1 channel amp) you can get a bit a punk-pop sound but for the more heavier sound you`ll need some pedals. Otherwise maybe some Randall-stuff? Heard some stuff about it... or a Marshall Valvestate combo perhaps.
Maybe you should take a look at the marshall JCM series (800,900 and 2000).
My jcm 900 does greenday quite well, its gig worthy and best of all i got it for 300 quid used.

EDIT: FWIW, my amp is a 1x12 combo. But you can get the 2x12 combo's for roughly 300 quid on a good day on the ebays
gear
Fender highway 1 tele
v
Korg pitchblck
Zoom Uf-01
EHX Big Muff
EHX Russian Muff
Made By Mike fender blender
Mi Audio Crunch box
Malekko Ekko 616
Ibanez CS9
BYOC Flange
v
Fender 75

welsh?

FOR SALE: PEDALS
Last edited by friji at Aug 2, 2010,
i dunno about the money cause i'm in the states but i'd recommend the vox night train and the blackstar ht-5. plenty of demos on youtube to get an idea.

also a marshall jcm would be great as recommended.
Quote by adambauman31
i dunno about the money cause i'm in the states but i'd recommend the vox night train and the blackstar ht-5. plenty of demos on youtube to get an idea.

also a marshall jcm would be great as recommended.

a HT-5 or Nighttrain wouldn't manage in a medium to big gig.

JCM, or maybe even Roland Cube 80...
peavey classic 30
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
I would worry too much about power over 80-100 Watts, If you need more power than that your probably going to be in venues with a P.A. in which case its get the mic's out time!

Peavy do some nice versitile valve amps which are worth a look along with the classic marshall sounds mentioned above.
For that style it would be hard to go past a JCM900. They usually go for a lot less money than other JCMs and punk is what they do best, in fact they do it exceptionally well, it's about the only thing they do do well.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'd be willing to sell you my all valve Randall RG50TC within your budget. Can do a great green day esque pop punk sound?
Sure a valve amp around 30w minimum is the ideal, if you can find one used. Failing that, I tried out a Hiwatt Maxwatt 100 combo a while back and was very impressed with it. Plenty of power for gigging and pretty light (assuming you don't have a team of roadies). At £260 - £295 its nicely on your target price, too.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Bingt
a HT-5 or Nighttrain wouldn't manage in a medium to big gig.

Most medium to big gigs...all amps will be mic'd through the house PA...so they would be fine. Not ideal, unless that's the tone you're going for

Quote by holycow
peavey classic 30

+1

Last edited by eyebanez333 at Aug 2, 2010,
+1 to peavey classic 30.

And yeah, any 5 watt tube would be fine considering you'll be mixing up to the PA anyways.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
thanks for the help so far guys. The Vox has caught my eye so far because of its price.
I'd be willing to sell you my all valve Randall RG50TC within your budget. Can do a great green day esque pop punk sound?

What price are you thinking of?

Thanks

EDIT: A friend is offereing me a Fender half stack in my price range. Its a Fender Fm 100 and the 4X12 cab to go with it, is this a good deal and will it diliver the Green day type sound im looking for?
Last edited by Matt.hat. at Aug 3, 2010,
the fender frontman isn't really worth it tbh, anything above the 30 watt, is just an over sized practice amp IMo. Also they're not really good amps to begin with.

Out of interest what amp do you have now?
gear
Fender highway 1 tele
v
Korg pitchblck
Zoom Uf-01
EHX Big Muff
EHX Russian Muff
Mi Audio Crunch box
Malekko Ekko 616
Ibanez CS9
BYOC Flange
v
Fender 75

welsh?

The Fender FM series of amplifiers isn't very good. The cab is pretty decent for the price, especially if you swap out the speakers for some higher-end stuff. I wouldn't recommend buying the stack though. Unless he's offering it to you for $100, don't take it. And even then, I'd suggest buying it and turning it for profit to increase your budget.

Buy a nice tube amp. You'll find that generally they have a much nicer tone, and they seem louder.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Call me a bandwagon hopper, call me what you will, but check out the Jet City 333.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
So avoid the FM, thanks for th heads up.
Out of interest what amp do you have now?

at the moment im using a bog standard amp to practice and using other guys amps to gig with. Manly a Marshall MG series

So JCM or Vox valvetronix it looks like thanks.
Last edited by Matt.hat. at Aug 4, 2010,
Sorry to double post but does anyone have any other suggestions?

I Played a Vox in a music store but didnt really like it, I also played the JCM it and fell in love with it but a 60w 1 speaker combo was over £1000 Is there any alternatives to a JCM amp that wouldnt be quite as expensive? My budget is around £300 and even on ebay the Mashed up JCMs are going for more then that.

thanks
used peavey classic 30 or laney vc30
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by Matt.hat.
Sorry to double post but does anyone have any other suggestions?

I Played a Vox in a music store but didnt really like it, I also played the JCM it and fell in love with it but a 60w 1 speaker combo was over £1000 Is there any alternatives to a JCM amp that wouldnt be quite as expensive? My budget is around £300 and even on ebay the Mashed up JCMs are going for more then that.

thanks

That jcm you played, was it the TSL601? Thats gunna be quite expensive where ever you look. However, i just had a look on ebay, n theres a jcm2000 dsl401 for 350 quid. thats pretty good compared to what they gopher (lol) new. it'll get you what you want easily too.

EDIT: is £300 your absolute max budget/your money? whats 50 quid more when you've got £300, couldn't you ask parents to lend you the extra?
gear
Fender highway 1 tele
v
Korg pitchblck
Zoom Uf-01
EHX Big Muff
EHX Russian Muff
Mi Audio Crunch box
Malekko Ekko 616
Ibanez CS9
BYOC Flange
v
Fender 75

welsh?

Last edited by friji at Aug 9, 2010,
You can always have it mic'd. In that case I would go for a Jet City or HT-5. Jet City have just brought out the pico valve, but I don't know what it's like.

For £300, there aren't really any amps that are loud and great. If you can get a used JCM, in your budget then well done. That JCM2000 friji mentioned sounds like a good bet!
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
My budget is a little bit movable but is 40 watts good enough for the medium gig? will i just be eaton up by the other band members solid state 100wats?

thanks or the jet city suggestion but they only hve 2 channels no footswtich and everything is pretty basic.

Im not happy about it im prolly gonna go cheap and just pick up an MG or somthing. Save up some dollar and buy a new JCM.
Last edited by Matt.hat. at Aug 10, 2010,