So I just got my demo back from the studio from my recording sessions a few weeks ago...
http://myspace.com/avalonlandingband

My vocalist/rhythm player played through an AC30 with an SM57 and room mic because my drummer was adamant that anything recorded "direct" thru my Axe-Fx would sound bad... >_> As a result the clean, dry rhythm playing on the tracks is all a real AC30. However when it came time to do all of my stuff I used my Axe-Fx.

Overall I'm very happy with how it turned out, except for the chorus in one particular song ("Frozen") where my epically massive Hard Fuzz tone was castrated by the producer... as my bandmates pointed out though an all-out QOTSA fuzz tone may not be the best for a reggae-ish song. You can hear it in all of its glory, however, towards the end of "One Fine Morning."

BTW before anyone says anything about the solo in my one song being silly and wankerish I actually recorded the solo as a joke take and everyone else wanted to keep it... but it sounds passable so whatever. Hope you guys enjoy!

Tone/playing criticism extremely welcome, especially since these are my first-ever REAL (studio) recordings.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Quote by Czily
damn this "you can't do that cause it's not common" .. the fuzz tone would have made it definitely more interesting and less poprock alike. it's not _bad_ but i'm fan of exaggerated things - go, fuzz, go ;-)

- Reflections: is it just me or is that clean guitar slightly out of tune? something just doesn't want to fit in. the composition is ok. not my style i'd say. those eight notes in combination with this pop drum beat make me tired .. but i like the singing melody. made the song worth listening to the end. (that and the guitar solo)

- Frozen: nice variations and good work on the second-voice-mix. altough there's a pretty difference between verse and chorus and also some well done breaks - for me 04:20 were too long to listen to. (not the music style i favour, as mentioned)

- One Fine Morning: it rocks. i like the whole thing. the "uuh uuh" parts fit perfectly in and has some attention grabbing dissonant tones. everything's well accented so you can go with it. the fuzz tone in the end is awesome, haha

all in all i'd say you got some very decent sounds. couldn't say anything bad about the quality. the mix of the voices changes well so it doesn't sound all the same, the guitars are mid-tone distorted, wich i guess fits your style best (anyway: maybe you can try sharper sounds sometimes, so it gets more grunge than rock).

Thanks for the crit... yeah, the clean guitar is a bit out but I don't think most non musicians will notice. We paid just over $1000 for these 3 songs in a studio so I'd hope they sound good xD.

Once again thanks so much. Got anything for me to look at? I'd be glad to return the favor in classic C4C form.

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Hey bro I'm liking the songs, especially the third one...but I have some questions for you. I'm in a band and we are planning on recording 2 songs in a studio on Friday, the rate is $25/hour but you said you spent over $1000. May I ask what was your hourly rate, and what else you had to pay for to get to $1000? And if you could give some tips about recording that would be amazing...Thanks so much.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix (R.I.P.)

"I'd much rather be home playing my guitar"
-Eddie Van Halen
Quote by lilfid12
Hey bro I'm liking the songs, especially the third one...but I have some questions for you. I'm in a band and we are planning on recording 2 songs in a studio on Friday, the rate is $25/hour but you said you spent over $1000. May I ask what was your hourly rate, and what else you had to pay for to get to $1000? And if you could give some tips about recording that would be amazing...Thanks so much.

We paid $35/hr at our studio, but our producer spent time out in LA producing big bands and he's really legit. We had to pay for the producer's time (albeit at a reduced rate) for him to mix and work on the tracks once we recorded, as well as for the mastering. Depending upon how much "cleaning up" you want done and how much mixing you want done this will vary a lot... our drummer's beats were quantized and our vocal tracks slightly Melodyned (though the latter didn't take much time since our vocalist hit all the pitches in studio). He also applied effects everywhere and such.

If you want to save time in studio then make sure that everyone knows how to and can play to a click track, and that all your parts are good to go. Also restring your guitar a few days before you go in so that it stays in tune while still having relatively fresh strings. Also make sure that everyone knows the parts perfectly so that you don't have to practice things. We lost time on not being able to always play perfectly to a click, and as said above one of our guitars was ever so slightly out since it probably wasn't intonated and hadn't been restrung in a while.

I'd also recommend not letting anybody get trizzashed the night before so as to hinder the recording process. That's about all I have to offer.

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Quote by Mo Jiggity
We paid $35/hr at our studio, but our producer spent time out in LA producing big bands and he's really legit. We had to pay for the producer's time (albeit at a reduced rate) for him to mix and work on the tracks once we recorded, as well as for the mastering. Depending upon how much "cleaning up" you want done and how much mixing you want done this will vary a lot... our drummer's beats were quantized and our vocal tracks slightly Melodyned (though the latter didn't take much time since our vocalist hit all the pitches in studio). He also applied effects everywhere and such.

If you want to save time in studio then make sure that everyone knows how to and can play to a click track, and that all your parts are good to go. Also restring your guitar a few days before you go in so that it stays in tune while still having relatively fresh strings. Also make sure that everyone knows the parts perfectly so that you don't have to practice things. We lost time on not being able to always play perfectly to a click, and as said above one of our guitars was ever so slightly out since it probably wasn't intonated and hadn't been restrung in a while.

I'd also recommend not letting anybody get trizzashed the night before so as to hinder the recording process. That's about all I have to offer.

So the main costs are the producer and the mixing and the actual recording is just the tip of the iceberg? Thanks for all the help man I'm gonna show this to my bandmates.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix (R.I.P.)

"I'd much rather be home playing my guitar"
-Eddie Van Halen
Quote by lilfid12
So the main costs are the producer and the mixing and the actual recording is just the tip of the iceberg? Thanks for all the help man I'm gonna show this to my bandmates.

Yeah... a LOT goes into mixing and mastering, depending upon the source material and what you/they are going for style-wise. Some producers do charge flat per-song though, so I'd get price details before going in. Before you sign anything make sure that you ask the producer and get, in writing or via email, some confirmation that says that you will be able to get a mixed, good-sounding product for x amount of dollars. The reason I say this is because I went into our studio thinking it'd be $800 all said and done but then costs kept ramping up, although this was due to my bandmates not clarifying with the producer as opposed to our producer being deceptive (he's cool as hell). In this way you won't pay your entire budget to record then get stuck with a rough track or worse because you don't have a couple hundred extra on hand to pay him to finish.

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N