I keep repeating myself that one of the problems with laptop recording is the fact that nearly all hard drives are spinning at 5400rpm. Given that the number of tracks you can record/playback simultaneously is HIGHLY dependent upon drive speed, you will NOT get the same track count as someone using a desktop with a 7200rpm hard drive or faster.

So, you people who record to laptops... what are you using (hard drive speed especially), and how many tracks (audio, not VSTis or midi or whatever) can you record and play back at the same time? And at what bit-depth/sample rate?

I'm curious as to what kind of limitation this really is in terms of actual numbers based on actual experience, as compared to recording with a 7200rpm HD in a desktop.

I've never pushed the limit on my desktop, but I've done 36 tracks (24-bit/44.1 khz) with room to spare on my desktop. On a MUCH older machine, with the HD running at 5400rpm, I started cacking out around 8 tracks of 16-bit/44.1khz.

Thoughts?

Anyone with experience recording audio to solid state drives? Results?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
ive never tested mine to see what its maximum is.

however i use a dell vostro 3700 laptop which has a hardrive with 7200 rpm.
and if i dont want to use that i can always use the external 1tb HD also spinning at 7200 rpm.

if you search enough, you can find a laptop that spins at 7200rpm.
sorry i cant be more help, if i get time later ill put a whole bunch of tracks into a session and see how i go.
^ most laptops have a 5400rpm drive in them just to save on battery life although the "desktop replacement" powerhouse laptops usually run a faster drive or even Solid State just because they are mostly used while plugged in.

Quote by axemanchris
Anyone with experience recording audio to solid state drives? Results?

I've been wanting to pick up a small 40 or 80GB SSD just for the OS and boot sector but they are still too high for me to spend that type of cash on such a small storage area.

Assuming the controller card and the MB don't bottle neck the pipeline, you should be able to get some amazing results with a full SSD system though.
Last edited by moody07747 at Aug 2, 2010,
Running on an old Macbook pro I upgraded the HD to 7200rpm 500g with 4g of RAM and I am having no issues running 20 tracks while simultaneously recording 3 more. Pro Tools/Logic with a Profire 2626 lightpiped to a Presonus D8 at 24bit 48k.
Gear
Jekyll and Hyde
DD3 Delay
NS2 Noise gate
FAB chorus
Crybaby 535Q
HT-5 stack
1979 Gretsch BST 1000
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Schecter Gryphon
Fender American Strat
Taylor T5 Custom
www.facebook.com/fadeoutproductions
i cant think of any time i was getting issues on my laptop from too many tracks. i cant think of anything that had even 10 tracks though, so i wasnt doing the same kind of layering i do now. i dont think i ever ran into issues with a 5400 rpm drive, but it would be nice to know if there was a solid limit

im kinda tempted to go try it out, but im not even sure the thing still turns on

for the solid state drives, ive heard that you can only write to them a number of times before they start failing. i mean it is EEPROM, so that makes sense. for audio work i feel like that could be limiting, even if the number of writes is in the 10s or 100s of thousands. i feel like that could go by faster than normal when doing a bunch of takes.
Quote by jof1029
for the solid state drives, ive heard that you can only write to them a number of times before they start failing. i mean it is EEPROM, so that makes sense. for audio work i feel like that could be limiting, even if the number of writes is in the 10s or 100s of thousands. i feel like that could go by faster than normal when doing a bunch of takes.

Yea SSDs don't last forever although the same goes for spinning drives too...
I just had to swap out two spinning drives on a 5 year old desktop that had heavy read/write use.

I don't know the limit of the write cycles but im sure it can't be too bad and I probably wouldn't worry about it in a studio computer.
Personally, I would still mirror a second drive with it to have a backup as well so if one does die im not all lost.
I've had my laptop hooked up to a digi design rack interface with an octopre added on recording 6 inputs and going to 4 outputs simultaneously via firewire. Didn't experience any problems at all. It's a 2007 macbook.

At home I have a usb interface plugged in usually recording 4 or 5 tracks at the same time when I'm jamming with my mates and it doesn't act up
Surely it also depends a lot on how much RAM you have and how fast it is? If you have 4GB of fast RAM HD speed won't come into play nearly as much as if you only had 1GB.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.