Guys,

I currently have a OLP Petrucci and a roland cube 15... My OLP sounds so very muddy, and it's also near impossible to fix the action... on top of that I just dislike the guitar a whole lot, because it doesn't suit my style. I used to be all metal but I grew over that.

Through my Roland Cube, it will only sound good when I use heaps of distortion (metal channel), on the other channels it will just sound dull, lame and crappy... So I'm wondering, would a Fender Stratocaster, either a MIM or Highway One, sound fine on a roland cube? I like to use bits of overdrive/distortion in the range of like ZZ Top, SRV, the rolling stones and such... What I'm basicly asking is if I could get some character out of this amp, and a nice crunchy sound.

Thanks
yes, that would be a possibility. What's your budget? You could take a look at squiers too, these are reasonable quality for its price, and it sounds awesome with a roland cube!
it might be a new amp, instead of a new guitar, that you should be looking for
Quote by Led Dirigible
Crickets have too much high end for my tastes. I prefer a nice beetle, lots of warm low end.

tl;dr put a beetle in your amp for superior toanz.

Guitars: Schecter C-1 Classic
Westfeild LP e4500
Amp: Vox AD15VT
well i don't like settling for less, i've had a love for fenders for quite a while... i'm happy saving up a little longer for one, as long as my roland cube will do fine another 200+ bucks for a decent amp would make it a little harder for me to save up.

as for the guitar, i've also tried it through my POD Studio, and then compared it to my friends cheap squier telecaster... the squier sounded way nicer.
Quote by petmyhat
Guys,

I currently have a OLP Petrucci and a roland cube 15... My OLP sounds so very muddy, and it's also near impossible to fix the action... on top of that I just dislike the guitar a whole lot, because it doesn't suit my style. I used to be all metal but I grew over that.

Through my Roland Cube, it will only sound good when I use heaps of distortion (metal channel), on the other channels it will just sound dull, lame and crappy... So I'm wondering, would a Fender Stratocaster, either a MIM or Highway One, sound fine on a roland cube? I like to use bits of overdrive/distortion in the range of like ZZ Top, SRV, the rolling stones and such... What I'm basicly asking is if I could get some character out of this amp, and a nice crunchy sound.

Thanks

Unlikely, what you're asking for is tube breakup and that's one of the sounds that cheap modelling amps simply can't do. There's too many nuances and little imperfections in the sound, not to mention a tube amp at that stage is incredibly dynamic and responsive.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
yeah but i haven't got the money for a tube amp lol... but i figured that if even my friends squier sounds a heck of a lot better, a fender stratocaster that feels and sounds good to me will sound good on one of these cubes aswell...

steven seagul; would you say the roland cube is worse than other tube amps?
Your roland cube is not a tube amp...
My first lolstack
Quote by whitenihilist

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
gah i hate these threads that i cant give an actual answer to because the question is so badly worded
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by bellette
Your roland cube is not a tube amp...

no shit sherloc

as for "badly worded", i think it's pretty clear.
A new guitar isn't going to satisfy you for very long. The weak link in your rig is your amp. Spend the money on a good amp, and then see if you still don't like your current guitar.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by petmyhat
yeah but i haven't got the money for a tube amp lol

If you're looking at Fenders, then yes you do. $500-$700 (about the prices for a MIM-Highway One) can get you a pretty nice tube amp.
i still live at home because i'm kind of young, in a row house too... which means a tube amp might be too loud, and those 5 watt tube amps have like next to no feautures. what would you recommend?
If you want that kind of sound you want a tube amp, if you don't have one you won't get it - it's as simple as that.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by petmyhat
i still live at home because i'm kind of young, in a row house too... which means a tube amp might be too loud, and those 5 watt tube amps have like next to no feautures. what would you recommend?

Get something like a Vox AC4TV ($250) and buy some pedals for it. With that budget you could get yourself a nice selection of stuff tbh.
Quote by petmyhat

I live in an apartment, and I use my 100W tube amp every day.

Point: amps have volume knobs.

I'd just get to a store, and play different amps that sound good to you. Once you find one, then you can start looking used on ebay and craigs list. There are a lot of great deals to be had.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X