I decided I wanted a new guitar, but due to new work (which has given me money for one) I dont have time to build one by hand again.
So the solution appears to be doing a GFS build.

Body-White Basswood Rhoads V
Neck-Maple w Rosewood and shark tooth inlay
Black Licensed FR
Sexy white humbuckers 14k bridge 10k neck
Black GFS tuners

Heres a Q though, do I get 500k pots, or 250k? And what kind of caps do I need? As soon as I have answers it all shall be ordered
Generally with two humbuckers, 500K pots and 0.047 caps. 250K pots can be used, but will sound much more bassy and muddy. 0.047 caps blend off more highs than 0.022, so are generally used with 500K pots which are brighter and trebley-er than 250K. But then again, you can experiment with different values - there is no set rule. If you can set up a switching system, you can experiment easily.
If your pickups are active you will need the 500k and don't forgert a stereo jack if using actives

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
Quote by JohnnyNash
If your pickups are active you will need the 500k and don't forgert a stereo jack if using actives

wtf are you talking about?

OT: I'd get the 500k pots, caps to your own taste.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Yeah Ibanez and Gibson design all their models on their iPods.

Pokémon CYOA
Click here for my electro tunes!

Proud user and abuser of Bugera
Minnis is correct. Humbuckers normally use 500k while single coils normally use 250k. The higher the value, the brighter the tone, and the higher the value of the cap, the more highs shunted to ground (taken out of the signal).

And Actives use 25k pots, although he is right about the stereo jack, even though you never said anything about them being actives....

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Since you're using such high-output pickups, you might want to even consider using GFS's 1Meg pot, it'd essentially be much more brighter and clearer, (the same sort of difference between using a 250k pot compared to a 500k pot).

As minnis suggested, maybe a switching system to experiment. Or, maybe a switch to change from 500k to 1Meg pots for solos? Just an idea.
Quote by Steve46
thanks alot ice condition!! your the breast!

The best bosom in all of UG.
Quote by JohnnyNash

wat
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by ice condition
Since you're using such high-output pickups, you might want to even consider using GFS's 1Meg pot, it'd essentially be much more brighter and clearer, (the same sort of difference between using a 250k pot compared to a 500k pot).

As minnis suggested, maybe a switching system to experiment. Or, maybe a switch to change from 500k to 1Meg pots for solos? Just an idea.

I heard somewhere that if you put a 500K resistor across the two outer lugs of a 500K pot, the resistance becomes 250K, and a 1M pot with 1M resistor becomes 500K. Not sure if this is correct, but if it is, maybe you could get a switch that cuts out the resistor. Then, you would normally have a 500K pot, flick the switch for soloing to disengage the resistor and you would have a 1M pot. You can also use different cap values - scroll down to "2 capacitor tone control:"
http://www.1728.com/guitar3.htm

EDIT: http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/potm.htm
If you can hook up the resistor to a switch, engaging the resistor, you will be able to flick from 500K to 1M
Last edited by minnis at Aug 2, 2010,
Quote by minnis
If you can hook up the resistor to a switch, engaging the resistor, you will be able to flick from 500K to 1M

Sounds like a much better idea than mine, at least in terms of ease of use ...
Either way it'd work well as a passive clean "boost".
Quote by Steve46

I meant 25k I was still reading his message and got 500 on the brain. GGeessh enough with the whip. LOL. The stereo jack is correct though with actives

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
I drew this a while ago, using a push-pull pot for turning a 500k pot into a 250k, it would work with the 1M pot too, using a 1M resistor to turn it to a 500k. Or you could do a 1M pot with an ~ 335k resistor for a 250k pot.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
^ except you have to mount it on a separate switch, they don't have 1meg push-pull pots.

But the same theory applies.

You could also mount it on a 500k push-pull pot for tone or something, (but keep it wired to your volume pot, using the push-pull on the tone just for the switch)
Quote by Steve46

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
^ Very cool. Would there be any point at all to using a 250 with humbuckers? If not would a DPDT ON-ON for 1M and 500k be good?

Also on that would it be worth the trouble to set up an on-on-on like you had said, with a coil split for epic sound possibilities?

Like 2 humbucker 2 volume/coil split 1 tone and the DPDT ON-ON-ON for 1M, 500k, and 250k?
This is getting put on hold for a few weeks. In the meantime I shall be doing a Tele. It will be cream with a white pickguard, and sexy as hell.
Quote by act31
^ Very cool. Would there be any point at all to using a 250 with humbuckers? If not would a DPDT ON-ON for 1M and 500k be good?

250 gives you more sound variation. It will be a lot less bright, so could be good for mellow chordal work or something. Its worth a try, if you decide you hate it and want it out then you can always remove it.