I'm looking to learn my first full song with a solo. I've know the basics now I want to take the next step forward. I like A7x, Metallica, Protest the Hero, Trivium, Alexisonfire, Iron Maiden to name a few
Stick with Metallica, Those other bands have pretty generic, easy riffs, but their solo's are pretty difficult for someone new. The first Metallica song I learned was "One" because, basically everyone knows that song, and its pretty easy. Learn that, and you might get the whole song, and most of the solo down by the end of today. It would be nice if we knew how long you have been playing.
Amon Amarth - Under the Northern Star - first full song I learned. Solo is easy.
Eluveitie - Inis Mona - solo is a bit tough
Enter Sandman, Sad But True, Master of Puppets (If you're a little farther along; this would definitely help with your downpicking).
Quote by Yoda_is_real
Stick with Metallica, Those other bands have pretty generic, easy riffs, but their solo's are pretty difficult for someone new. The first Metallica song I learned was "One" because, basically everyone knows that song, and its pretty easy. Learn that, and you might get the whole song, and most of the solo down by the end of today. It would be nice if we knew how long you have been playing.

Metallica is BALLS compared to Maiden and Pantera. Don't even try to compare them. Metallica is weak as shit. There is nothing generic about Maiden. Try getting your musical taste out of the USA and listen to some real bands.
Quote by Yhdeksas
Metallica is BALLS compared to Maiden and Pantera. Don't even try to compare them. Metallica is weak as shit. There is nothing generic about Maiden. Try getting your musical taste out of the USA and listen to some real bands.

What the hell are you talking about man? Not everyone is talking about you, I was talking about the Thread Starter's list of bands. Get my musical taste out of the USA?
Dude this isnt my musical taste hahaha, every band mentioned on this thread is pretty boring to me.
Quote by Yoda_is_real
It would be nice if we knew how long you have been playing.

I've played on and off forever and wanna get comitted
Fear of the Dark was one of the few first songs I learned fully.
It's great fun to play, and will give your fingers a workout.
Don't worry about playing rehashed metallicrap.
Quote by Murny
I've played on and off forever and wanna get comitted

You mentioned you know the "basics" what is it you know? do you know like Chords, and scales and that stuff? or do you know how to play some riffs? If you look at Tabs for bands like Trivium, A7X, and bands similar like Killswitch, and Bullet for my valentine, you will notice the way the riffs are composed, are pretty similar.
Alot of Down picking, Detuning your guitar to Drop C or D helps.
Just take a look at those bands tabs, to get the "feel" right, then you can learn any of these bands riffs.
However, with alot of those bands you posted's solos, they use techniques liek sweep picking and tapping, especially those metalcore bands like A7X, and Protest, they have great guitarists. So I suggest learning more easy solo's and songs as mentioned above.
Last edited by Yoda_is_real at Aug 2, 2010,
Quote by Yhdeksas
Don't worry about playing rehashed metallicrap.

Hey man, you do realize he LIKES that band right?
Learn something that's shit hot by Iron Maiden like number of the beast, it's quite a good picking exercise too.

Learn some sexy squealies that are in some KSE songs too... mmmm