I'll be moving to Detroit this month for about a year. I'm trying to gain exposure and network, so I'm really trying to get some CONNECTIONS, you know? No one in my family is into music, so I'm kinda on my own in a way.

Anyway, I figured that if I got a music-related job, then I'd be less bored while I'm at work. I know that downtown Detroit has a nice-sized selection of "artsy" places to work, but how do people even get jobs at (hmmm, let's say...) Fox Theatre? Or even a small record shop?

How can I talk my way in?
The isn't some kind of secret society in which hundreds of musicians work underground to maintain all music establishments. Look at job ads, ask in stores and around town like you would any other job.

You might want to take this out of bandleading forum?
SMILE!
Quote by Mr.DeadDuck
The isn't some kind of secret society in which hundreds of musicians work underground to maintain all music establishments. Look at job ads, ask in stores and around town like you would any other job.

You might want to take this out of bandleading forum?

Where else would the topic go?

I'm not looking for a secret society. I was hoping someone would have some advice besides filling out a job application for Guitar Center or McDonald's.
Well just go to record shops and chat it up to the owners, search for job postings, apply everywhere you can. There's no super secret way of getting a job, even if it's music-related. Being a regular customer at local non-chain stores will definitely get your foot in the door in a metaphorical sense.
Quote by SSDDPunkRocker
Well just go to record shops and chat it up to the owners, search for job postings, apply everywhere you can. There's no super secret way of getting a job, even if it's music-related. Being a regular customer at local non-chain stores will definitely get your foot in the door in a metaphorical sense.

I appreciate this little tidbit, thanks
Quote by Mr.DeadDuck
Musician talk?

Dude, if you don't have anything helpful or worthwhile to say, then just leave things alone.
Quote by Mr.DeadDuck
Musician talk?

Coz you talk to musicians

TS, musicians have all sorts of day jobs. Of course you'll meet some through working in a music store, or at a bar, or wherever. But you'll also meet them at concerts of local musicians, open mic nights, advertising in the classifieds or randomly through any work environment.

How to get a job? Well just go up to any shop with your resume. You can also phone shops, respond to classifieds. If in desperation to get experience you can offer to work for free. There's lots of ways to get jobs (but complaining about the economic recession/location is not one of them).
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud