I know this have been discussed alot but I haven't quite for the answer that I'm looking for through googling.

Things that I know:
- ESP is for metal and Gibson is for rock.
- Both guitar manufacturers usually use the same woods in the guitar (maple and mahogany)

Things that I want to know:
- Are Gibson guitars higher quality guitars than ESP are? (because I see metallica uses ESP guitars alot recently)
- That's it ROFL!!

I haven't had the chance to try an ESP guitar yet and I guess that the only chance for me to try one is to buy one!.
Because I live in Israel and ESP guitars are very hard to find.

So, provide me with info pl0x!
Thanks in advance.
1) not true, ESPs can play rock and Gibsons can play metal.
2) I believe ESP uses maple neck/mahogany body which is a bit brigter than Gibsons mahogany neck and body

3)Quality is, unfortunately, another subjective thing. Gibson fanboys will tell you Gibsons are better and ESP fanboys will tell you ESPs are better.

I can say that Gibson's (Specifically Les Pauls) have really thick necks, which I PERSONALLY dislike. ESPs have thinner necks which is nicer for some. It's all preference. You might end up trying them out and not liking either.
Quote by siverstorm

3)Quality is, unfortunately, another subjective thing. Gibson fanboys will tell you Gibsons are better and ESP fanboys will tell you ESPs are better.

From what i have heard, some gibsons are high quality and some are just BAD. If you're going to get a gibson you should ALWAYS test them in a guitar shop and avoid buying online. You're basically paying for the brand :S And no, i am not a "fanboy" of ESP or Gibson
Quote by expertzone
From what i have heard, some gibsons are high quality and some are just BAD. If you're going to get a gibson you should ALWAYS test them in a guitar shop and avoid buying online.

That is true for EVERY company.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
You know:

- ESP has rock guitars (http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_vintage.html)

- and gibson has metal-orientated limited runs (http://www.dv247.fr/assets/products/43525_l.jpg for example)

-> And by changing pickups, using different amplifiers and different settings, stompboxes etc. you can practically use any guitar for any purpose. It's about which kind of tone you emphasize on. Don't be fooled, millions of metal guitarists use les pauls. If you over-simplify, you'll be mislead.

- Both are high quality instruments. It's more about individual quality at that level (OEM manufacturers).
Yes you can play metal on a Gibson - early Slayer (Jeff Hanneman used a LP) and Metallica (James & Kirk used Flying Vs) - You can play metal on any solidbody guitar... it's just marketing spin that leads you to believe you need a certain brand just to play metal.

Also Les Pauls come in two neck sizes. The 50s diameter is quite thick, but the 60s neck is thinner and more comfortable. I went from an Ibanez RG550 to a 60's diameter Les paul without too much of a hassle.
simply put, an esp and a gibson are different guitars. the esp's generally have similar sillouettes to gibsons but are made (sometimes) out of different woods and almost always have different electronics. on top of that, they have substantially differnt body contours/thickness and have very different necks.

beyond that, both companies make good guitars. you'd have to try and see which you prefer to p lay
well I think the only thing here in this thread that is fact, is that ESP Eclipses are cheaper than Gibson Les Pauls.
The ESP is usually thinner, more metal-looking, different stock parts (FR, EMG's, locking tuners, etc), the neck profile is almost always thinner in my experience, and I think some use a different wood than the respective Gibson model it looks like.
There is no such thing as a certain guitar for a certain genre. Get it through your head.

Different guitars use different woods. Gibson has a good handful of models, but ESP has many, many different models, out of the Standard and Original series. I'm sorry, but there is just way more out there than Les Pauls and Eclipses.

Quality isn't really an issue, except with their entry level stuff, like Gibson studios, and the ESP Standard series. Once you get to the ESP Original level and the Gibson Custom level, you really can't get a bad guitar. They're both phenomenal, and both ridiculously nicer than I can imagine.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
One's Japanese and one's American
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
these kinds of questions are absolutely retarded and juvenile.

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
1) You can take any guitar, and play any type of music so that isn't true. I could take a BC Rich, and play country if I wanted to.
2) I've only seen a few Gibson models use maple, and those only use it for the fret board. If I'm not mistaken almost all of the ESPs use maple necks, and Gibson uses mohagony.
3)As said before the quality is all based on opinion. If you take a die hard ESP user they'll think Gibson quality is worse, and the same goes for die hard Gibson users.
4) Just because Metallica uses them doesn't mean anything about whether it'll work for you. Also unless you plan on spending the money on the same guitars they play you might not have the same level of quality.

Also I should add in that based off of the ones I've played from both companies I find that ESP isn't as good as Gibson for me. The ESPs that I tried had thinner necks (I didn't try them all so maybe some are different), and that just doesn't work for me. I hope this post helped you out TS.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
I could take a BC Rich, and play country if I wanted to.
You definitely could.
But I'd fear the crowd reaction might be something like this:

Clickable ^
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Well, for the diffirences - I've never seen an unmodded Gibson with a floating bridge.
Proudly endorsed by Kamecki Guitars and WBgear!

My guitars:
-B.C Rich NJ Jr.V Deluxe (6 string guitar)
-Kamecki Custom V guitar
Quote by Aggro
Well, for the diffirences - I've never seen an unmodded Gibson with a floating bridge.

That's just sad now.