Hi, I'm practically a beginner in the guitar. I can solo some songs and play a couple riffs, but I'm still beginning and rusty.

Let me start from the beginning. I own a crappy Starcaster by Fender, which I've had for a while now. I've just recently really gotten serious in playing the guitar, and even as a beginner, I can tell how crappy and low quality this guitar is. I'm in no position to buy a new (and quality) guitar, and have no intention of wasting money on pedals or on an amp for such a guitar, so I'd like to at least start off by changing those low-quality (and old) strings which I have never changed. Hopefully this will make the sound much better. I actually think it will improve its sound a whole lot, because I can play the Time solo perfectly (I know I don't have the equipment, but still I got it spot on) yet the strings are hard, squeaky, and screechy (not in a good way) when I slide and bend. And yes it is in tune.

So guys, sorry for that long-winded post, but my question is, which is the best quality of strings available, and at what price? I'm planning to go to my local Guitar Center and buy them, and hopefully they can change them for me too, seeing as I don't know how to.
Last edited by Dark Time at Aug 2, 2010,
Elixirs are good enough for me, sound good and last ages
Was lacking a decent sig. Still is.
imo ernie ball power slinkys. and watch a few youtube videos to learn how to string and tune your own guitar. dont give those guitar center bastards more money than you have to
Ugh...you should change your strings every month to every 3 months. But there is no "perfect" set of strings. A lot of it depends on personal preference. I like GHS Boomers Thick and Thin on my main guitar, but I'd throw on some .013 to .060 on my other one. A lot of people like sets that are guaged .010 to .046 on their guitars. Personally, I've found that GHS are the best strings for me.

But you may wanna try out some Ernie Balls and some D'Addarios too. Cuz it's all about tone. I like GHS' tone. Others like Ernie Balls' tone. And others like D'Addarios' tone. Try some sets out and see which tone you like best.

Edit: Don't even bother to go to Guitar Center. That place is so damn expensive.
I like to cover Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin in particular. Although I know I'll never get a Page sound with a Starcaster.

I can tune the guitar. I'll watch some videos in learning how to string it.
i love the roto sound light top heavey bottom .10 strings but like he said just try some out an find the ones u like an musiciansfriend.com are pretty good on the price of there strings to.
I think string choice is a pretty personal thing for the most part. You find the strings that sound best to you. I like DR Tite Fit Jeff Healy .010 - .056, they sound great to me, and the heavy bottom string makes them work well with drop tunings.
Depending on how long you've been playing you might want to stick with .09 to .042 string gauge for a while, whilst you build up your calluses and finger strength, but it's generally agreed that thicker strings sound better. Also, I recommend avoiding D'addario, last time I used them, they went rusty after a 4 hour playing session.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
everyone has there favorite brand of string its all on what you perfer. I use ernie ball. Thats all ill put on my guitars. BUt that what I like everyones different/
My gear
Schecter 7 string hellraiser
1984 Charvel (model unknown)
Mesa boogie Dual Recto Solo head
and some pedels!

UG's HateCrew Member
I've gone through a few different string brands as of late, myself. Although, not all companies make sets for seven string guitars, so I started with Ernie Balls, which... well, everyone seems to have their own experiences with them but they always wore out within a single practice session, maybe two. When I play the strings are going to get a serious workout, and the EBs didn't really last that long, at all. I switched to D'Addario for a while, and they were pretty nice, although I had to switch back to EBs for a while since all of the two shops within an hour's drive from me tended not to carry them.

When deciding to mail-order some strings, I noticed that there were actually seven-string sets of the Dean Markley Blue Steel strings, which I had been curious about for a while. So I ordered the Custom Light set, and when they came in it was heaven from the moment I put the strings on. I tend to be able to wear a pair of strings out within two weeks, not by sweat but just by the sheer amount of time I practice, and they still feel nice four weeks later. Not completely like new obviously, but I don't feel the need to switch them out yet, which normally I tend to by now.

Point being, those that say it's all about tone are right. And it's all about what feels best to you. Just kind of look around, try some different sets, gauges, etc. and see what you like.

Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Edit: Don't even bother to go to Guitar Center. That place is so damn expensive.

Oddly enough where I live on the West Coast, GC's far cheaper than anywhere else. At the local stores I have to pay almost 9 dollars for a pair of strings, about 10 if I want a seven string set, whereas I can get them at GC for 5 to 7 dollars. Although I mail-order my strings these days, because GC can obviously be a bit of a rip too. Though mine's treated me nicely every time.
how do you know when your strings are rusty? i've had d'addario mediums for like two weeks, and the color on them is starting to fade, especially at the parts of the string i use the most.
Quote by sincerelyydavid
how do you know when your strings are rusty? i've had d'addario mediums for like two weeks, and the color on them is starting to fade, especially at the parts of the string i use the most.

when they start to rust..

you do know what rust is right?

right now I play a set of d'addario jazz lights, i forget the numbers but the highest string is a .010. I like their sound a lot, but lately ive been looking into finding a set of .009s to try because bending is a pain on these strings, that and I am weak :P

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
I usually like D'addario extra heavies (.012), but i tried DR tite-fit (.013) and i like them a bit.

As for when they get old, you can usually feel the grime and dirt, and the change in tone and sustain.
I have tried many different standard electric string brands, and to be honest I have never noticed any significant difference... Slight differences but not enough to matter much.

Especially since you are a beginner, I doubt you'll be choosy about which brand of string "sounds best", just pick up a decent brand name.

What you will notice a world of difference between your new strings and the old, badly aged strings you have now. Good luck.
I dont think its been said, but since you are this new to guitar and changing strings, remember that strings have a break in period and they will sound somewhat metallic at first.

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON