Page 1 of 4
Inspired by this:

Meanwhile Planck had been appointed dean of Berlin University, whereby it was possible for him to call Einstein to Berlin and establish a new professorship for him (1914). Soon the two scientists became close friends and met frequently to play music together.

I can't think of any smarter musicians than these two (Max Planck and Albert Einstein), so the question is: Who are the smartest musicians who made a career out of music?

I believe Brian May of Queen has a Ph.D in astrophysics.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Damn right.

His thesis was a 200+ pages essay called A Survey of Radial Velocities in the Zodiacal Dust Cloud.

Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Bruce Dickinson is a pilot. I'm sure he's probably pretty smart.
Gear:
08' Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ Vintage 30
Peavy Vypyr 15 watt
MXR 10 Band EQ
MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss DS-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah

Death to all butt metal.
Philosophy wise I would say Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page. They have done everything to be done, and made many mistakes. We can learn from their music but we can also learn from their lives.
"Music became a healer for me. And I learned to listen with all my being. I found that it could wipe away all the emotions of fear and confusion relating to my family." Eric Clapton
This thread has been done countless times

A smart musician is one that can use Search
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
there's a huge amount of Musicians who have Ph.D's.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Rivers Cuomo went to Harvard. I know he doesn't compare to Einstein, but I'd imagine it's still an achievement.
Last edited by FlyingPirahna at Aug 2, 2010,
All of muse were in university and had jobs before they become a big time band. They were in a small band at the time and they came 1st in this competition so they quit their jobs, left university and went on to big huge in their band Muse.
Brian May is gonna dominate this thread.
The man wrote 3 textbooks, c'mon!
Dexter Holland.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Quote by metallicafan616
Inspired by this:
I believe Brian May of Queen has a Ph.D in astrophysics.

He needs one to produce those spacey guitar sounds.
Chuck Schuldaner always struck me as a smart guy.

Oh, and definitely Tom Morello. He was on the dean's list a freaking Harvard.
Quote by Anthony1991
This thread has been done countless times

A smart musician is one that can use Search

none on the first page of search results, so I assume they are old enough to warrant a new thread.

Neil Peart is supposed to be very well-read in philosophy, especially Aristotle. Although he didn't even finish high school.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Neil Peart is supposed to be very well-read in philosophy, especially Aristotle. Although he didn't even finish high school.

o rly?

seriously, thats pretty interesting.
POST RAWK
Paul Gilbert teaches at GIT in La,

Johnny Marr is a Professor at Salford University in England (I study there)

What the members of Dreamtheater don't know about theory isn't really worth knowing.

Beethoven because he pretty much wrote the book on symphonic form. (possibly literally)

Bach, for literally writing the book on harmony and inventing the fugue form

also i heard this quote once

a brain surgeon and a musician are very similar. both are very good at their trade. but doing the other would be disastrous
i'm Ginger its fun
Quote by Sparky-MMA
Paul Gilbert teaches at GIT in La,

Johnny Marr is a Professor at Salford University in England (I study there)

What the members of Dreamtheater don't know about theory isn't really worth knowing.

Beethoven because he pretty much wrote the book on symphonic form. (possibly literally)

Bach, for literally writing the book on harmony and inventing the fugue form

also i heard this quote once

a brain surgeon and a musician are very similar. both are very good at their trade. but doing the other would be disastrous

Jordan Rudess makes all his patches for keyboard too...or that might have been Jens Johanssen come to think of it

Also, I plan to train as a brain surgeon yet have an A* in music GCSE and I'm grade 8 at guitar, so lets hope I'd still be a good brain surgeon.

Quote by hahaokayman
I say Justin Bieber yeah

I know you're not being serious but I couldn't resist.
Last edited by In The Mist at Aug 2, 2010,
Greg Graffin from Bad Religion has a PhD in Evolutionary biology and teaches at UCLA, he also has an offensively big vocabulary that he loves to show off.
Blake Scharzenbach of Jawbreaker is an English professor and has written a few books IIRC.
I heard that Frank Zappa had an IQ of 175, not sure how true that is though.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht

He has read at least one Ayn Rand book all the way through, he can't be that smart.

There, we got the obligatory Rush/Fassa joke out of the way

EDIT:I had no idea that Johnny Marr was a professor
Quote by JohnnyV
I'm pretty sure the feeling i get when i blow my load on my computer screen is a f*ck of a lot different than when i shoot in on my girlfriend's face.

Music things

PRS SE Custom 24
Epiphone G400
Vox AC15C1
Last edited by Lots O' FX at Aug 2, 2010,
Mick Jagger studied at the London School of Economics, and if my understanding is correct, for the bulk of the band's career, he's had at least a hand if not more in the band's general management.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
I've heard Thomas Erak is supposed to be quite intelligent. Zappa and Brian May as well. Also John Frusciante, Cedric Bixler Zavala and Omar Rodriguez Lopez appear very intelligent from interviews with them.
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
Max Planck was teh br00thulz
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
^ I like to imagine that if he was in a modern band, he would be in Arcturus' La Masquerade Infernale Album, playing the string quartet and organ parts.

You think you're smart, huh? You think you can come up here and take a piece of this, huh, you?

Listen: Harvard, I'm a billionaire. Most of you are going to just go home and live with your parents. But we all have one thing in common, we all die. No matter what you do.

Trapped inside a box, four long years, hiding from the world, punished by your peers...

this man for that speech
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
Richard Feynman - Renowned physicist and bongo player.
#48 of the Fender Armada
#2 Omar Alfredo Rodriguez-Lopez fan club

Gibson SG Standard
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Fender Mustang
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by Sunshine86
Richard Feynman - Renowned physicist and bongo player.

No way

Quote by metallicafan616
^ I like to imagine that if he was in a modern band, he would be in Arcturus' La Masquerade Infernale Album, playing the string quartet and organ parts.

He would be in Wormed writting about the photoelectric effect and quantum tunnelling
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
I always thought Sting seemed like a pretty clever guy.
"The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar."- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by the bartender
there's a huge amount of Musicians who have Ph.D's.

You can get a Ph.D in literally anything. You could get one in cheese sculpting if you wanted to.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by sashki
Smartest musicians...or most musically-inclined scientists?

Philosoraptor, right there. And I'd reckon Paul Masvidal is pretty smart, not the smartest though.

Page 1 of 4