1968 Bassman Amp w/ a Bandmaster cab for $700. I'm looking to upgrade my guitar amp (Fender Frontman 212), but I'm mostly a bass player and I need a new bass amp too. But I was thinking if I got this, I'd be getting two amps for one. I played a bass through it, and I was very pleased, but is it worth it? Because I want a bass tube head, and there were a few Hartkes I was looking at.

And then I played a guitar through it and was fairly pleased, but it was really loud and I couldn't crank it up. How mush crunch can I get out of this amp for my guitar? I play mainly classic rock, but I do dabble in Hard rock, kinda getting close to metal.

All help is welcome.
Remember who you are, and Who's you are
Bassmans are awesome for guitar. Get a good distortion for metal.
Last edited by boffen at Aug 2, 2010,
well I've read on here that most distortion pedals are no-nos
Quote by owentheobiwan
well I've read on here that most distortion pedals are no-nos

No, only the cheap distortion pedals newbs keep on buying sounds like crap. any distortion under $50 is utter shite, there are a few good ones between $50 and $100, but for a really nice, versatile distortion, you're gonna have to drop at least $130 if you're looking to go new.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
ok then. Well, how high would I have to crank this puppy to get good Hendrix/Pete Townshend distortion out of it?
Quote by owentheobiwan
ok then. Well, how high would I have to crank this puppy to get good Hendrix/Pete Townshend distortion out of it?

full blast. even then, you might need an OD to push it even harder. the SF bassmans (bassmen?) don't break up as niceley as their blackface counterparts and like most post tweed fenders, don't break up very much. you're going to have a hard time reaching Hendrix levels of dirt with just the amp.

You might be able to get Townshend sounds, but you'll need a nice vintage fuzz clone. he used an old splattery one, a univox i think.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
and what could I get to get the natural breakup without killling everyone with the sheer noise assault? Like, reducing volume, but still cranking the amp to get crunch
Re-amping rig of some sort, or mod it to have PPI master volume... honestly, you're gonna find it somewhat difficult to get Townshend sounds out of it, as he's famed for Hiwatt amps (British-voiced) - you might do the Hendrix stuff with a Fuzzface, though, as he used Fender amps in the studio IIRC.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Aug 2, 2010,
Bassmans are sweet amps, but it won't be any good for anything other than low volume practice with bass. It won't have enough clean headroom for jamming with a full band with bass and the cab will most likely not be able to handle bass very well. Be warned!

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
would it not give me the "warm overdrive" with the tubes at high volume? the cabinet wouldn't be an issue, I'd get a different one. I'm talking about bass right now
Last edited by owentheobiwan at Aug 2, 2010,
I don't have a bassman but there is a bassman channel on my supersonic that i think is an identical circuit. I love it and it takes pedals really well on mine. Certainly is warm and smooth, sounds amazing with singles and fantabulous with humbuckers, not too much crunch in mine at high volume but that's why I like it. (playing thru one V30)

EDit...never played my bass thru it, might try that now.
Last edited by Tempoe at Aug 2, 2010,
Quote by owentheobiwan
would it not give me the "warm overdrive" with the tubes at high volume? the cabinet wouldn't be an issue, I'd get a different one. I'm talking about bass right now

Sure, it will sound warm at first (at a certain level), but at the high volumes that you need to play with drums, you will most likely be getting a lot/too much distortion. However, with the right cabs/speakers and with non hard-hitting drummers, you can probably make it work. I'm not trying to discourage you, just making sure you understand what it might be like.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
The mid 60's to 70's bassman amps do not live up to their name IF you are a guitar player. If you want to play bass and guitar then they are pretty good. If you are getting good bass tone from an amp then you have no chance of getting good guitar distortion because clean tone from a bass takes double the amps as cleans from a guitar. If you want to do both then you have to use pedals.