Page 1 of 3
So I drove through Jersey this weekend and decided to stop by at the Guitar Center in Cherry Hill. It was a pretty sweet guitar center. Very small though. I jammed away at some things. There was a Sam Ash right next door. Double Dragon Style. Lot's of stuff I've never played before which was cool. This weird old guy followed me around and kept asking me to play Journey. That was not cool. I explained to him that I only knew how to play one scale and then he poked my stomach. I giggled like the phillsburry doughboy. I still don't know if he was a racist or if he had a crush on me. Oh well. I'll never know.

Alright so before I forget here's some ramblings.

Bugera V22: I guess I'll get this one out of the way first. I am very disappointed to announce that this amp sounds pretty good. I didn't get a chance to crank the clean channel into overdrive but the clean cleans were pretty damn good. The distortion channel was not fizzy or overdone. I think I'd pick this over a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. I hear they explode though after midnight.

PRS Stuff: This guitar center had a whole row of PRS amps and guitars. The GC by me only has a few PRS guitars and I've never played one of their amps before. I was very very excited!!

- Original Sewell. This amp wins the award for ugliest brown thing I've ever seen. It's covered in some kind of paisley tolex that is like 12 different kinds of poop brown. It was alright. They had it listed at 3k for the combo. It's definitely not 3000 worth of good. Great cleans forever though if that's what your into, and you have some kind of poop brown paisley fetish. 50 watts el34 with a built in 6 position attenuator. The features are pretty cool. I bet it sounds pretty damn good when it's cranked. 3k is a lot of money though.

- Super 30! This one I liked.
4 el84s with a master volume. It got some really good preamp gain tones and some really good cleans. Very responsive. The combo is 2k though. That's almost as much as a Matchless. Not a bad amp but very very expensive.

Woodcross Thunderbolt

I couldn't find any information at all about this amp. There's a few harmony central reviews from the legacy site. I don't even know if it's made anymore. I did some research when I came home. It's a 6v6 Matchless Spitfire clone with a pre-gain and a post-pi master volume. Holy Carp this thing sounded great. I wish they still made these. It was listed at 900 which isn't too bad but I'd be afraid of buying a limited production amp like this with no way of contacting the builder. It sounded super good though. Clear, crisp distortion even with the pre dimed.

65 Amps Marquee. Here's another one I've never played before.

It's another 30 watt 4 el84 amp based on the vox ac30. I actually liked it better then the vox's I've played. It sounded like a dark ac30. Very good grandpa amp for making grandpa sounds.

Oh boy then I found one of these things!

A vintage Orange OR. Pure sex. Not a "hi-gain" amp by any means. However, it had one of the greatest dark vintage rock tones I've ever heard. The price tag was not so sweet. 2500. Blerg. Orange really isn't making anything cheaper right now that sounds like this thing does though. I really like how Orange does el34s. All of their El34 amps sound different and are set up differently.

Holy carp then I found one of these things!

EVH 5150 III with a list price of 1500. I guess this thing is called the poor man's slo in some circles. I didn't think it sounded much like the slo at all. If anything it had more gain on tap on the third channel. It's got a much longer signal path as well but it's more controllable then my slo is because of the independent EQ's. Not a bad amp for the price at all. I thought it sounded very good. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did. This thing will do singing leads all day and it can get heavy as well.

Played my first ibanez as well.

I'm not exactly sure what this guitar is actually. However, I really like the body shape and the neck. At 800, it might beat out most of the other guitars I've had in that price range. I liked the neck much better then the Gibson Studio LP DC I had. The front mounted jack is silly and the guitar weighs a whole bunch but it's a hell of a value at 800. I need to start checking out their more expensive stuff.

Then I went to Sam Ash.

Bugera 333xl - This thing was terrible. It was bad in every way that the v22 was really good. It was overly complicated, had knobs and switches everywhere and was just all around ugly and confusing. The Orange TT has an acceptable level of fizz for me. This thing has about 10 times the amount of fizz that the TT has with the gain dimed. It was made worse because they had it right next to this thing.

A JCM800 single channel. I love this amp. I've only played a non master jcm briefly before. This amp is pure sex. It has a lot more gain then I thought it would. Not the level of the 5150 but more then enough for classic metal. It sounds good too. Not even a hint of fizziness. Just ball shaking preamp distortion. I wish I could have cranked this a bit more. I'm probably going to try and find one of these for 500 and buy it as a recording staple. It was voiced a lot differently then the QR I had. The QR had more gain but it was much smoother. The jcm800 was a lot crunchier and in your face. I played these amps with a 400 dollar ibanez that made that 800 dollar one I played before seem like a mistake.

that's all. old dude with a crush on me followed me to sam ash so I got the **** out.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Glad you liked the V55 and Ibanez S. The new S are some of the nicest ibanez out by current production values. If you get a chance try the MIJ ones as they are pure awesomeness.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
lots of nice gear there

what's wrong with journey?!?!?!?!

i could be wrong, but I *think* the jack (or maybe it's the pickup selector) is like that on the ibanez s because the body is so thin that a normal one won't fit. the j-customs are really, really nice if you ever come across one.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I like that no one else is really doing that shape. It's really nice holding it. It actually makes my normal shaped guitars feel very clunky.

Quote by Dave_Mc
lots of nice gear there

what's wrong with journey?!?!?!?!

i could be wrong, but I *think* the jack (or maybe it's the pickup selector) is like that on the ibanez s because the body is so thin that a normal one won't fit. the j-customs are really, really nice if you ever come across one.

nothing but he was like play this and play this and i was like dude. i can play this and that's it. this right here. that's all you get.
Last edited by AcousticMirror at Aug 2, 2010,
Dave's right on the Jack. i've been super close to buying an S the past two times i went to GC. The new ones come with 24 frets as well which is win win. and the ZR is a really low resistance trem when playing, Same with the good Edges, when compared to lfrs and OFRs on other guitars
^^ hahahahahahaha

^ thanks. i think i've read that because of the really thin body you don't get as much up-pull on the Ses' tremolos. I want to like the S but the RGs just generally make more sense, for me anyway. But definitely making some of them again at fujigen is a Good Move.

I also wonder what those edge zeros are like. I haven't tried them but I don't think they're made by gotoh any more.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by AcousticMirror
... if that's what your into, and you have some kind of poop brown paisley fetish.

Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Dave_Mc
^^ hahahahahahaha

^ thanks. i think i've read that because of the really thin body you don't get as much up-pull on the Ses' tremolos. I want to like the S but the RGs just generally make more sense, for me anyway. But definitely making some of them again at fujigen is a Good Move.

I also wonder what those edge zeros are like. I haven't tried them but I don't think they're made by gotoh any more.

The EZ is as nice as any EP or original Edge i've played or owned. The guys over at jem site and seven string .org are just amish when it comes to their ibanez's. The EZ is on par to any edge pro
I have that exact guitar, I love it. And I got it for only $630 new. I personally prefer the front mounted jack.

You really didn't like the 333xl? From what I've heard it's not that fizzy and sounds pretty sweet, but I've never played one in person so I guess I wouldn't really know.
The JSX the amp its based upon gets fizzy on the ultra channel real easy and Crunch channel when gain is past 3/4 full.
Quote by mexican_shred
The EZ is as nice as any EP or original Edge i've played or owned. The guys over at jem site and seven string .org are just amish when it comes to their ibanez's. The EZ is on par to any edge pro

Gotta agree.

I love the EZ on my S. Really comfortable, and the zps does keep it really stable (though it does limit the range).

Shame about the 333xl though, I'd also heard it wasn't as fizzy :/
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
withou the ZPS it has more range than any other edge variation so its a super edge. Alot of people knock it for being used and not being in made in the land of the rising sun, but its still superb quality and a step in a right direction from ibanez
Damn, I really have to check out that Sam Ash in Cherry Hill. I want to play that JCM 800.

The GC/Sam Ash near me doesn't have much. I go to the one in Union NJ (closer to New York.)
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Last edited by TMF128 at Aug 2, 2010,
i forgot to mention that the cherry hill gc had a whole row of vintage tweeds of all sizes.
Quote by mexican_shred
withou the ZPS it has more range than any other edge variation so its a super edge. Alot of people knock it for being used and not being in made in the land of the rising sun, but its still superb quality and a step in a right direction from ibanez

Damn, didn't realise that. I prefer the stability and ease though, so I'll be leaving the good old ZPS in
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by Ignite
You really didn't like the 333xl? From what I've heard it's not that fizzy and sounds pretty sweet, but I've never played one in person so I guess I wouldn't really know.
Well, he mentioned he found the knobs and switches rather confusing. So I'm assuming he had it dialed in wrong.

I imagine the 333XL isn't significantly different regarding fizzyness than the 333, so I'm quite certain actually.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Wtf? What's that metal toggle doing beside the Standby on the 800's front panel?
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Probably a bright or gain switch. Every JCM800 that was ever made has been modded at least once. It's in the constitution or something.
^ mine's stock.

IMO charging more than $600 for a used 800 with a mod is totally out of the question unless they have some sort of documentation saying who did the mod and precisely what it is.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Last edited by bubb_tubbs at Aug 2, 2010,
Lies. Are you sure it's not a Bugera with a Marshall faceplate? I bet it's fake. Easiest way to tell, really.
Quote by SimplyBen
Oh man I wanna play an Orange OR.

This. I've been around more Orange amps lately than ever before and it's like God's saying "BUY ONE BUY ONE BUY ONE BUY ONE NAOOOOOOO"
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
no idea up had more gain. down had less gain. there were 2 reissues next to it but that one didn't say reissue on the tag.

I dunno how stores get away listing them so high though. they are really cheap used now.
^ if it had gold on the handle it's a reissue.

The old ones were just black plastic.

ahh kk. I guess that handle does look golden. Couldn't stay too long had to leave before touchy mctouchy touched me again.
I don't really follow how you found the bugera so fizzy? Maybe because the dials confused you that you may have dialled it in wrong?
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
The 333 is a bit fizzy IMO. Especially with the crap that is the Bugera cab.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I hear the tone improves if you set fire to them.

That S is quite nice looking. A while back they used to make ones like that in korea and stick the prestige badge on them. Not that they're bad or anything but that was wrong..
I kinda prefer the s's to have 22 frets. I dunno it was just the original design dunno why they've changed it to have 24. Plus 22 fret neck humbuckers are nice
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Aug 2, 2010,
Quote by Adam124
I don't really follow how you found the bugera so fizzy? Maybe because the dials confused you that you may have dialled it in wrong?

Yes, why don't you just parrot what the other Bugera fanboys have already said in this thread. Run along, please.

For what it's worth, it is pretty fizzy.
Meh the cab is pretty crappy although if you got yourself a nice avatar or mesa cab you would be set.

Also, to bubb, haters gonna hate >_>

[EDIT]

^ no need to be a douche. I was just asking a question.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Last edited by Adam124 at Aug 2, 2010,
^ it's hard NOT to make fun of them.

presence all the way up. gain all the way up. mids all the way up. treble and bass at noon. sounded like pouring a beer into a tall glass all wrong.
mia ibby s for sale.
japanese parts...

did you work with jason in cherry hill at sam ash?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
It's hard NOT to make fun of MG's and spiders too, although even I've realised the jokes are old as hell. I'm not a fan of all bugeras anyway.

Nice reviews nonetheless.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
No i didn't talk to anyone I was hiding from my stalker. I thought the v22 sounded good. The 333 was nowhere near the goodness or quality of the v22. so ya.
Quote by Adam124
Meh the cab is pretty crappy although if you got yourself a nice avatar or mesa cab you would be set.
The cab is reportedly rather crappy. A suitable budget companion would be those Harley Benton cabs with V30s. If you're using the Bugera cab to compare the 333 with other amps (which are running better cabs), I can imagine it wouldn't sound too good.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by coolstoryangus
The bugera users militia is ANGRY.

You are a June 10'er.

BE GONE!
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster