Page 1 of 3
ehh. music isnt what it used to be...
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
So..?

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by metallicafan616
So..?

So we should retaliate by making I Cum Blood next years number 1
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I'm assuming you mean the music business. So I disagree. The music business has always been about making money. That's why they call it business.

i meant like there is more interest in making money than the actual talent. they might trying to find a singer who sells just for the money, regardless of their singing.
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Quote by :Vicious--
i meant like there is more interest in making money than the actual talent. they might trying to find a singer who sells just for the money, regardless of their singing.

Quote by 剣 斧 血
So we should retaliate by making I Cum Blood next years number 1

yes!
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
"My tone should be like me........FAT! "

I still disagree. Music business has always been about making money. Music as art has always been about talent in it's many faucets.
While this is bad news I would like to point out that the author of the article is a douche.
all I ever wanted was to pick apart the day
put the pieces back together my way
I read about this and the first thing that came to my mind was "Prick"
It is ridiculous, but typical of cowell. After thinking about this, this could be played to any counter attempts advantage. Instead of buying one single of one artist and say selling 70,000. There will be 16 so may only sell 2,000 each? Which would make it alot easier to beat as they'll be spread out alot thinner.
couldnt this just potential disperse all of the x-factors followers purchases through loads of songs rather then getting them to buy one song the week before xmas?

i dunno how simon cowell lives with himself, apart from earning £100 a minute or whatever he gets, but condoning bubble gum pop music which lasts weeks, when bands like rage have been ever present for 20 odd years.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I remember when the number one spot was actually relevant. Whilst I normally acknowledge Simon's business skills (the man knows how to make money), this is just... stupid.

On the contrary.

He will no doubt sign them all to his record label.

The final 16 or whatever all bring out a song after each show. Thats 16 artists he will make money off of instantly as the public buy there favourite song.

Sure, as the contestant numbers drop, the sales will stay the same as the public have a limited choice now and will still buy up the singles.

When the winner comes out, he has another 15 artists he can play with. If some of them were "unlucky" not to win, he can then milk them for even more money.

The man is a genius with playing the public. If only he was chancellor of the exchequer.

PSN ID: ArranP
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I still disagree. Music business has always been about making money. Music as art has always been about talent in it's many faucets.

well then i guess i see it from the "music as art" point of view. i appreciate the talent more than making lots of money. therefore i dislike this idea since it seems to me its all for the money and not the art of music
Quote by CrunchyRoll
Quote by *Latem*
It is ridiculous, but typical of cowell. After thinking about this, this could be played to any counter attempts advantage. Instead of buying one single of one artist and say selling 70,000. There will be 16 so may only sell 2,000 each? Which would make it alot easier to beat as they'll be spread out alot thinner.

The more popular ones will sell loads, the less popular ones will sell less.
Quote by mattman93
While this is bad news I would like to point out that the author of the article is a douche.

True. I didn't buy the song because I already owned the album, but that guy talks shit.
Its also becoming more and more difficult to avoid the x factor nowadays as well
Resisting the urge to rant....
well then i guess i see it from the "music as art" point of view. i appreciate the talent more than making lots of money. therefore i dislike this idea since it seems to me its all for the money and not the art of music

That's what most record companies have always been about.
Quote by Funk-E-Munk
couldnt this just potential disperse all of the x-factors followers purchases through loads of songs rather then getting them to buy one song the week before xmas?

i dunno how simon cowell lives with himself, apart from earning £100 a minute or whatever he gets, but condoning bubble gum pop music which lasts weeks, when bands like rage have been ever present for 20 odd years.

Thats a point, it'll be hard for them to get a number one due to all the songs that'll be released.

Unfortunately any bands that are "heavy" (I say that because most aren't that heavy) are left in the background by the media. As Bruce from Iron Maiden said last night "Metal is somethng we have to ourselves, you can't leave it up to the media or the BBC to show it because they're a bunch of wankers"

I see it from both sides. It's almost exactly the same as the film industry, yet no-one seems to complain and whinge about that.

At the end of the day, music is a form of entertainment and creating a song that has entertainment value can be just as "artistic" as "deep song by underground band number 352."
What I don't understand is, if you don't like pop music, then why in the hell would you even care about the charts?

edit: And by the way, a lot of you seem really paranoid. No one's making you listen to anything. No one's making you buy anything. Why u so mad dawg?
Last edited by -[NiL]- at Aug 2, 2010,
[quote="'-[NiL"]-']What I don't understand is, if you don't like pop music, then why in the hell would you even care about the charts?

Not really sure, but it'd be nice to see some good, real music in the charts
[quote="'-[NiL"]-']What I don't understand is, if you don't like pop music, then why in the hell would you even care about the charts?

That's a valid question if I ever did see one.

Quote by 剣 斧 血
Not really sure, but it'd be nice to see some good, real music in the charts

Oh yay, the "real music" bollocks. Pop music throughout the years has been one of the most diverse genres of music. Praytell, what is "real music" anyways? I'll answer that- anything. Just because a piece of music may not have some deep, spiritual meaning or whatever doesn't mean it isn't music. When I'm out on the lash do I want to sit there and be introspective and listen to 3 Libras by APC? Nah, I want something I can shake my rear end to, something with some groove, with some catchy hooks, which is what a lot of pop music does, and does successfully.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I see it from both sides. It's almost exactly the same as the film industry, yet no-one seems to complain and whinge about that.

At the end of the day, music is a form of entertainment and creating a song that has entertainment value can be just as "artistic" as "deep song by underground band number 352."

hmm. i see what you mean. i guess selling is really all that matters for the music industry for the most part.

well its been nice having an intelligent conversation in the pit for once
Quote by CrunchyRoll
This is a stupid idea. Besides flooding the market, if people are reluctant to even buy one CD with twelve songs on it, why would they buy sixteen songs a week? And if it did somehow work, it'd make the chart obsolete anyway, not just the number one spot. Imagine looking at the chart, and seeing the top sixteen spots filled with what you just watched on TV last night. Ridiculous.

EDIT: I don't get his reasoning behind this, anyway. That battle last year was huge! I'm willing to bet that more people bought the X-Factor single last year than usual just to try and get it to number one.
Last edited by FlyingPirahna at Aug 2, 2010,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
That's a valid question if I ever did see one.

Oh yay, the "real music" bollocks. Pop music throughout the years has been one of the most diverse genres of music. Praytell, what is "real music" anyways? I'll answer that- anything. Just because a piece of music may not have some deep, spiritual meaning or whatever doesn't mean it isn't music. When I'm out on the lash do I want to sit there and be introspective and listen to 3 Libras by APC? Nah, I want something I can shake my rear end to, something with some groove, with some catchy hooks, which is what a lot of pop music does, and does successfully.

By "real" I mean without auto-tuning. Any songs with auto-tuned singers should be discounted from the charts.
hmm. i see what you mean. i guess selling is really all that matters for the music industry for the most part.

well its been nice having an intelligent conversation in the pit for once

I've learnt a lot since signing a contract. Including that selling out is a myth propagated by elitist music fans. Being a recording/touring artist is just like any other job- you have to do some things you don't want to do to facilitate the things you do. I want my music to sell so I can make money to live, so I have no problem writing the odd "single friendly" tune. Luckily I enjoy those single friendly tunes anywaysm but that's besides the point.

Quote by 剣 斧 血
By "real" I mean without auto-tuning. Any songs with auto-tuned singers should be discounted from the charts.

Studio time is expensive, autotune only works when you hit close to the notes trying to be acheived. You try singing 14 hours a day and see how consistantly you hit the notes required.
The charts usually always suck so I never pay attention to them.

Think about it like this, there's bubble gum pop at the top of the charts all year long, this will be no different. Just let the british public do as they will while you listen to what you want to listen to.

Disclaimer: By reading the above post, you agree that El Hilliaro is legally and morally free from any responsiblity should any harm be incurred by said post.

Also, you agree that I'm awesome and own all your stuff now.
Quote by 剣 斧 血

Why, because you don't like it?

Let's get rid of all the music I don't like while we're at it.
Last edited by -[NiL]- at Aug 2, 2010,
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Studio time is expensive, autotune only works when you hit close to the notes trying to be acheived. You try singing 14 hours a day and see how consistantly you hit the notes required.

I can't sing.

However, if I were to try I'd rather not be auto-tuned, a singer should show their voice for what it really is not hide behind a machine.

But thats just my personal opinion.

Edit: To the above, its not about liking the music if thats what you mean, I'm sure some of it might be quite good, even if its not my cup of tea. I just feel auto-tuning kind of demotes the singer. Aswell as this, singers that don't use auto-tuning don't get as much repsect because their voices don't sound as good sometimes, while in reality neither does the singer with auto-tuning its just been hidden up blah blah blah.

Hows about this, remove them from the chart and place them in another one, therefore singers that don't use it get the same amount of recognition.
Last edited by 剣 斧 血 at Aug 2, 2010,
Quote by Deliriumbassist

How come this didn't seem to be a problem in the past? People were hitting the notes they were supposed to for decades before autotune was invented.
i hate this whole idea of people thinking "my music is best". it's like saying that chocolate ice cream is the best when it's clearly not - it's clearly strawberry and vanilla or cookies and cream anyway.

also, cowell is not a musician. he's not in it for the art of music, he's in it for the art of making money. us musicians can never understand this. we cannot differentiate £1 from £1.01 like money people can't an a from a#. some would argue that his talent gets him further, although i say that either ability is just a way to make you happier - money doesn't directly though and you're stuck when you run out of things to buy to make you happy. lucky for simon he's some way off buying a whole country.
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th
I for one...don't care.

Let him do what he wants, the man's a ****ing genius and he plays the public better than any of his investments can their own instrument.

Kudos to him.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by 剣 斧 血
I can't sing.

However, if I were to try I'd rather not be auto-tuned, a singer should show their voice for what it really is not hide behind a machine.

But thats just my personal opinion.

They're "hiding behind a machine" as much as a guitarist hides behind one when they use a wah pedal. It's a means to get a song to where they want it to be. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. And as I said, you still need to be hitting quite close to the note required for autotune to work. People aren't going to hit the right note every time. We're people, we make mistakes, our bodies are changing constantly.

Quote by FlyingPirahna
How come this didn't seem to be a problem in the past? People were hitting the notes they were supposed to for decades before autotune was invented.

Even Arethra Franklin hit duff notes sometimes.
Page 1 of 3