Is there any way to do that? I've heard some use "mood" to recognize a tone, as if it's sad or happy, others "hear" colors when a note is plugged. Some even get a shiver when a particular note rings out.

If there's not a 100% bullet proof way, I'd at least like to hear your way to go there.

And don't bullshit me about perfect pitch, I don't believe in it.
im trying that by singing the note as its being played and i also say the note name as im playing it to try to "memorise" it
its actually helping a bit to train my ear my relative pitch is gettin much better
Last edited by supersac at Aug 2, 2010,
Quote by blue_strat

Though TS: no, you can't learn to just know what each note is just from listening. You can develop relative pitch though
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Ive heard that about "hearing colors" too. Im really interested in looking into that, anyone know of any good reading out there on the topic or is it mostly a chemical induced realization? lol
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
When I hear certain notes or chords, it sort of triggers a song to play in my head that has the same note/chord at some point and then I can figure out which chord or note it is based on which it is in the song. It's flawed, sure, but it's not like I'm trying to do it, it just kind of happens.

Quote by MOOSE_CCR99
Ive heard that about "hearing colors" too. Im really interested in looking into that, anyone know of any good reading out there on the topic or is it mostly a chemical induced realization? lol

It's mostly caused by a form of synesthesia, about which there are many articles floating around, like on wikipedia. It's a condition that's usually present from birth. Many people have it very early on in life due to the various sensory stimuli entering the brain without the brain knowing how to process it, like sending sounds to the visual processing area of the brain, causing one to "hear colors".
Last edited by D&DLover at Aug 2, 2010,
Quote by MOOSE_CCR99

Hearing colours is due to a condition called Synesthesia. It's where your senses get crossed over, if you like. For example, some people can taste words.

*edit*

Damn you! Damn you and your edits

Quote by D&DLover
When I hear certain notes or chords, it sort of triggers a song to play in my head that has the same note/chord at some point and then I can figure out which chord or note it is based on which it is in the song. It's flawed, sure, but it's not like I'm trying to do it, it just kind of happens.

That would be relative pitch
Last edited by pigeonmafia at Aug 2, 2010,
Quote by Tim the Rocker
Is there any way to do that? I've heard some use "mood" to recognize a tone, as if it's sad or happy, others "hear" colors when a note is plugged. Some even get a shiver when a particular note rings out.

If there's not a 100% bullet proof way, I'd at least like to hear your way to go there.

And don't bullshit me about perfect pitch, I don't believe in it.

there's no reason not to believe in perfect pitch, it's something your born with or develop as a baby. The bassist in my last band had perfect pitch and i have another friend who has it as well. So yes, it exists.
Ted: [Whispering to Bill] Your stepmom is cute.
Bill: Shut up, Ted.
Ted: Remember when she was a senior and we were freshmen?
Bill: Shut up, Ted!
Perfect pitch is when you feel the colors and all that. that's a genetic thing, not bullshit.
Pitch Memory is when a normal person has from aural training/listening over and over again critically is able to consciously recognize what note it is.

How to do it? Lots of practice over lots of time. Having good relative pitch will help with that process.
Are You a PROG-HEAD?
I am.

\m|_ metal _|m/
Quote by pigeonmafia

Damn you! Damn you and your edits

That would be relative pitch

Didn't see his post until after I posted, so I had to.

And yeah, I figured I'd try explaining it instead of just saying what it's called, but thanks for giving it the proper name
Quote by D&DLover
Didn't see his post until after I posted, so I had to.

And yeah, I figured I'd try explaining it instead of just saying what it's called, but thanks for giving it the proper name

Anytime
Quote by pigeonmafia

Though TS: no, you can't learn to just know what each note is just from listening. You can develop relative pitch though

Actualy, you can be able to recognize absolute notes. It's just much easier to train interval recognition and find out relative notes from a reference point.