I have so many lessons/techniques/songs, etc that I have on my plate to practice, the only thing is I don't know how to do them all at once with the time I have! I work, so I really only have 3 full days to practice a week (although Ill try to throw in a little bit here and there on other days). And the thing is is that Ive been taking lessons from a great guitarist online and the lessons are great without a doubt. The problem is as each lesson comes, it just adds more to my list to practice. I feel like im cramming all this stuff into the short amount of time I have and its overwhelming! I try to get all of it done in the days that I can practice but there still isn't enough time to equally devote to all of it. My friend suggested that I practice one lesson a day, but at the same time that makes me wonder if that would be good at all because now were literally talking DAYS between things I practice. (like say I pratice lesson 1 on mondays, that would mean I would go about a week without practicing it!) And then when I get back to it it feels foreign again and I dont feel improved with it :S. Ive been trying to cram it all into one day but I lose focus and can't get an equal amount of practice with all of them. Im trying to develop very fast speed and technicality to play Technical Death Metal kind of stuff, and I still don't feel like im moving anywhere I need to be. If you guys can please help me Id appreciate it thanks!
Priorities, get them, and when you figure them out talk to your teacher, get on the same page.

James
Quote by IronFeliks
Priorities, get them, and when you figure them out talk to your teacher, get on the same page.

James

I dont entirely know what you mean. I mean I take a lesson once a week and all that. Can't really say its the teachers fault I just don't really know how I should prioritize my time so I can get the most out of what Im practicing and thats why im asking for suggestions
I feel ya. I work full time and devote my nights usually to practicing unless I am so burned out sometimes that I just relax instead. I too, have all these things I want to learn, and want to remember what I already learned, it is flustering sometimes not to mention I don't think I am the fastest learner.

But that is part of the allure, the fact that it is a lifetime learning experience. Just take it as it comes, figuire out what is most important for you to learn first. Like me for instance, I am trying to get back to playing out this time in a cover band so I have been focusing on lots covers and messing around with other things inbetween. Later, I might prioritize something else, like that fact I can't play slide and suck at finger picking, and my theory needs to be expanded. Never messed with sweep arpeggios either, but that is hardly ever needed playing mainstream cover songs.

What I have sacrificed is a social life, no permanent girlfriend, no marriage and no kids. Otherwise after work with that I really would have no time to play. I can't sacrifice a steady job though, being poor just to have plenty of time isn't my idea of good.
1. stop watching online lessons temporarily, while its good to continue learning, the qualtity of your playing is more important than the quantity of things you know

2.try to balance your practice between techniques and songs

3. everything needs moderation, once you got more of the stuff you already know continue watching new lessons but maybe watch a lesson one week and learn a song the next week

best of luck
Quote by Templar0220
Im trying to develop very fast speed and technicality to play Technical Death Metal kind of stuff, and I still don't feel like im moving anywhere I need to be. If you guys can please help me Id appreciate it thanks!

Time and practice and patience yet determination. A couple months ago I decided I wanted to learn White Lion's Radar Love specially the solo. It took me a while but I am about there. I have been working on Cult Of Personality. The riff I couldn't get right for a while but it is getting there and the solo also. I just learned Spirit of the Radio, and while I can do that main riff up to speed I keep loosing the timing while playing to the song, but I will get it sooner or later. Sometimes when I get frustrated I go to something else and then come back later. Or go back to playing it slow again.

Speaking of Spirit of the radio. The internet and tabs are a great thing. However not every body is right, I have two guitar magazines from different years and the tab is different in them. They are suppose to be professional transcibers mind you. Youtube one guy does it one way, the next says it is wrong. You gotta kind of weed through lessons sometimes and make a judgement or mistake call.
Last edited by LK_revival at Aug 2, 2010,
obviously the 3 days you mention aren`t running consecutively but you could try

day 1 scales,chords and theory and applying them
day 2 song practice
day3 learn something new
Okay make a list of the techniques you want to learn and organize them according to how important they are to the music you want to play. Then for the most important of these, devote some time each day you play to them. Once you've comfortably got those under control, work your way down the list. And on days where you can't play, try squeezing in some theory during down moments.