The Eddie Van Halen Eruption solo is still my all time favorite guitar solo. The best version for me was one he did on the video Live Without A Net in 1986.

There is a video clip of it here http://www.vanhaleneruption.com/. I think he had his all time classic guitar sound and that solo (probably that whole tour) was a blend of the best of all his Roth Era guitar solos - with 316 thrown in at the start.

Awesome.

Long live Eddie and long live Eruption.
And you are inquiring for what purpose?
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
I hadn't thought about having a purpose - I just came across that vid and it reminded me of live without a net.

I've only seen EVH play live twice - and watched a lot of different concerts from different VH era's. The Eruption solo he did on Live Without a Net has always been my favorite. Maybe because that came out at the time I was most into VH - I dunno.

If you have a favorite video of Eruption (I'm just calling his live solo Eruption, obviously it's a blend of 316, Cathedral, Mean Street, etc jamming) - I'd love to see a link to the video.

I've just never found a better clip that that one.

Alex's drum solo on that tour (it was the 5150 tour) was awesome too. Alex has been getting better and better with age I reckon - he's a powerhouse rock drummer but he's kind of got a jazz finesse about him. Especially on the ride work. Like he's a cross between John Bonham and Max Roach. Awesome.

Gotta love both Eddie and Alex.
So naturally the news of them getting back in the studio the past few weeks has you excited? It was reported on the front page today and I pretty much summarized my take on my blog , but I think they're due for another Eruption-like intro piece or even an entirely instrumental track. Not the biggest Roth fan, but I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Eruption's one of my favorites too. Damn, I see what you mean about the Live Without A Net version, he goes nuts! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4lrAxUuwkk

And the intro noodling is pretty great too.
Check out my ragingly excellent music blog HERE!
I do not now nor have I ever understood what's so great about Eruption. At all. EVH has infinitely better solos.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
It's arguably more of historical importance than anything else. I also think he has much better solos out there but that doesn't change the fact that this is the piece that made a metric shit ton of people out there want to play the guitar.
I am not so fussed about a new studio album with Roth WW. I don't even know if they'll last through to finish it - and it's a pity that Michael Anthony isn't playing bass with them. I'm not saying I won't buy it - but I have my doubts. It'd be awesome if there is an instrumental EVH track on it though - always love to hear what he's doing.

Cool link - love the smoke rings. haha.

Agree with efx - historical importance - but does that just mean I'm old!

But I love Eruption (from the record). Imagine if you bought that home in the 70s and put that on your record player. It would have blown your head off.
Quote by nickonbass
But I love Eruption (from the record). Imagine if you bought that home in the 70s and put that on your record player. It would have blown your head off.

Probably not, I would have been listening to Allan Holdsworth and John McLaughlin then too
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Eruption is amazing. The best thing about it is that it isn't hard to learn and play too, and it never sounds the same all the time, so every time i see people play it, it always has a different feel to it. Of course, nothing beats the original on the first record.
I agree that its an awesome solo, but I recently attended a guitar course and the instructor showed us how to play it. Basically it is two handed finger picking in one area of the guitar neck. The reason it sounds so awesome is basically because of the speed. But this speed is quite easy to achieve once a person knows how to do it properly.

ron666
i nearly jizzed the first time i heard eruption. i advice anyone to were a condom before listening
Quote by ron666
I agree that its an awesome solo, but I recently attended a guitar course and the instructor showed us how to play it. Basically it is two handed finger picking in one area of the guitar neck. The reason it sounds so awesome is basically because of the speed. But this speed is quite easy to achieve once a person knows how to do it properly.

ron666

Two handed finger picking? I'd like to see that.

On a serious note, guitar courses teach Eruption?
Quote by Timothongz
Two handed finger picking? I'd like to see that.

On a serious note, guitar courses teach Eruption?

Sorry, I meant to say, "Two handed tapping", NOT "Two handed finger picking".

ron666