I have a guitar S-H-S all passive.

I am going buy an emg 81... probably a 85 also.

I was reading and I see that: all pickups should be active, or all passive.
Is it true?

Well, it wouldn't matter anyway, cause if it is true or not, I will probably only use those pickups.
And that's why I am also changing to a 3 position switch.

What should I know when changing from passive pickups to active?

I have some experience in changing pickups... so I'm thinking about installing it by myself, because to get it installed will probably get a little expensive to me.

Thanks
Last edited by demerda at Aug 2, 2010,
You sure it's not HSH? I've never heard of an SHS guitar before...

Whatever the reason, you can just disconnect the center pickup and leave it in as a dummy and still put the 3 way in.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
noting will happen its still an active to a passive there is only a output change

What?

=P
Last edited by demerda at Aug 2, 2010,
I think you can mix passives and actives. Check the wiring thread. If you dont want to then just don't wire it up.
He's saying that Single-Humbucker-Single guitars are fairly uncommon. And thus, he's asking whether you have a Humbucker-Single-Humbucker guitar.
Quote by Limaj_daas
He's saying that Single-Humbucker-Single guitars are fairly uncommon. And thus, he's asking whether you have a Humbucker-Single-Humbucker guitar.

Ya, I know, the "what" was to the post above his.

By the way, it's really S-H-S. I made it this way.

So, there isn't much difference about the electrical part...

I am gonna get Emg 81 and 85 Zakk Wylde set to have less trouble as possible.
You will need a buffer for the passive pickups, if you want to be able to mix the two.

Additionally, you must have independent volume/tone controls for the passive pickup and for the active pickup.

Otherwise, it must be all active or all passive.

Make sure that your pickups come with the right pots (if you're buying them new, it shouldn't be a problem), active pickups need a different value than passive.
Quote by demerda
I have a guitar S-H-S all passive.

I am going buy an emg 81... probably a 85 also.
your OP is sketchy and vague. You currently have a HB and two singles. You're going to get one, or maybe 2 active HBs. It's completely unclear if you'll be mixing passives and actives or just having a pair of actives.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Hell, first off, you're going to need to route another hole/a bigger hole in your guitar just to fit the extra humbucker.

Other than that, what forsaknazrael said, buffer if mixing, 25k pot for the actives, same pots as before for the passives.

I'd suggest you head over to the Ultimate Active Pickup Thread and just do some reading in the OP, lots of useful info there.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Sorry if I wasn't clear in my first post, but what I meant was:

I am gonna install the 2 active humbuckers, and let the passive there (without connecting it on the switch, so there won't be a "hole" in the guitar).

And what I have to know if this cap will "interfere" in someway the active pickups.
Last edited by demerda at Aug 3, 2010,
No it won't, you just let it sit in there and don't connect it to anything.
Now the problem is, is that you have 2 single coil spaces and a humbucker one.
If you plan on buying 2 humbuckers it's obviously not gonna fit!