I have a Carvin x100b and an Avatar 2x12 with super celestion 65s.

The Carvin has groove tubes or something.

I'm using an Epiphone Special DC.

Price isn't reaaaaaaaly an issue, trying to keep it under $200. Best bang for my buck pretty much.

I play all sorts of metal stuff. Opeth, Arcturus, Death, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest.

I love the cleans of the x100b, but the rhythm channel is less than great.

People have suggested the TS9, seems good for the price.

Suggestions.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
I really have had great experences with Hardwire pedals.

I use the SC-2 Valve Distortion and with the Crunch and Saturated switch I can get anything I want out of it.

Great value for $99, if you ask me.
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
So are you looking to tighten up it's rhythm channel to make it sound how you want, or do you want to use the clean channel and use a pedal for your distortion/overdrive?
Quote by TheAbsentOne
So are you looking to tighten up it's rhythm channel to make it sound how you want, or do you want to use the clean channel and use a pedal for your distortion/overdrive?

Well, the rhythm channel on the x100b sounds pretty bad, but I have yet to really figure out all the tone shaping options for this amp.

Also, the rhythm channel is the only way I can switch to the clean channel. Cleans are essential for the music I play, so I am just not using the lead channel.

If a good distortion pedal on top of my cleans will make it sound better, then sure. But I have always liked that sound of a good OD pedal.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
I use an MXR Wylde Overdrive. It's by no means the best OD pedal out there, but I'm really happy with what I get out of it. You can find them for like $50 used. I use mine mainly for lead work on my Recto, and when I use it on my rhythm's, the sound I get is huge. If you're trying to save money, it's a good cheap option.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by JayT44
I use an MXR Wylde Overdrive. It's by no means the best OD pedal out there, but I'm really happy with what I get out of it. You can find them for like $50 used. I use mine mainly for lead work on my Recto, and when I use it on my rhythm's, the sound I get is huge. If you're trying to save money, it's a good cheap option.

What settings do you use? Amp and pedal please... I have a single recto and right now I currently have a TS9, Zakk Wylde OD, and a Fulltone Fulldrive. Two of them are getting returned soon...

I've had the TS9 for about two weeks and decided I didn't like it much. Too much coloration, and very harsh on the high end. Today I picked up the MXR and Fulltone at GC and right away the Fulldrive blew the TS9 and MXR out of the water, absolutely no contest. My amp is an entirely different beast now

Still need to try it through the Legacy, but I'm expecting great things, the TS9 performed a miracle on that one.
I have a huge fear if rays.
Quote by ChrisBW
What settings do you use? Amp and pedal please... I have a single recto and right now I currently have a TS9, Zakk Wylde OD, and a Fulltone Fulldrive. Two of them are getting returned soon...

I've had the TS9 for about two weeks and decided I didn't like it much. Too much coloration, and very harsh on the high end. Today I picked up the MXR and Fulltone at GC and right away the Fulldrive blew the TS9 and MXR out of the water, absolutely no contest. My amp is an entirely different beast now

On the OD, my Output and Gain stays maxed, and I fiddle around with the tone knob.

Recto settings
Presence: 12 oclock
Bass: 3 oclock
Mid: 12 - 1 oclock
Treble: 2 - 3 oclock
Gain: Maxed
Mode: Modern

I've heard amazing things about the Fulltone's. They've got the highest re-sale value, if that matters to you at all. Never got a chance to use one before, unfortunately. I'm not a fan of TS-9's.

Yeah, I agree with the different beast thing. When I got mine, it was pretty amazing, but when I got an OD it was a lot more powerful and refined sounding when I wanted it to be.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
Sooo many gainz! LOL j/k j/k.

Hm, I didn't mess around with the gain knob on it much except when I tried in on the clean channel to see what the pedal itself could do. I'll have to try that out tomorrow thanks man.
Quote by ChrisBW
Sooo many gainz! LOL j/k j/k.

Hm, I didn't mess around with the gain knob on it much except when I tried in on the clean channel to see what the pedal itself could do. I'll have to try that out tomorrow thanks man.

I love the sound of it on cleans as well. I assume the Fulltone would be better for that though.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
I actually haven't tried the Fulltone on the clean channel with any gain. Compared to the TS9, running both of them with the level all the way and the gain all the way down, the TS9 produce more gain. Leaving the Fulltone on those settings on the clean channel actually leaves the sound pretty clean unless I attack the strings really hard - I was surprised how little it seemed to be doing. It is also very transparent. It just sounds much more real and natural than the other two pedals. I'll be getting a microphone soon to do clips.

I had the Fulltone GT-500 for about a week once; it was very nice and I liked it but in the end decided it wasn't quite right for me. But I think my JSX made me hate all the distortion pedals I put through it since its clean channel is very brittle.
Have you tried the FD-2 in Comp Cut mode with the gain set fairly low and the level all the way up? That was how I used it as a boost and loved it. Then I sold it when an opportunity for profit arose.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
The Fulltone Fulldrive is sounding nice right now. Any idea of a price range on the pedal?

I have also been recommended the fulltone OCD for metalz, is it any good?
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
So far I haven't put the gain up very much at all, which I assume is the reason I haven't noticed to much difference between the settings. But I did end up liking it on the vintage setting. I was just so happy with it I didn't play with it much

EDIT: I just picked up mine for something like $150 new. The OCD is a great pedal, but I doubt it's what you're looking for.
Last edited by ChrisBW at Aug 3, 2010,
The OCD is awful as a boost. It's a nice classic rock OD though. A used FD-2 MOSFET will be around $120. The older versions will be around $100. The anniversary MOSFET one like I had will vary from $120-$200 or so.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
The OCD is awful as a boost. It's a nice classic rock OD though. A used FD-2 MOSFET will be around $120. The older versions will be around $100. The anniversary MOSFET one like I had will vary from $120-$200 or so.

Thanks for telling me

Which one is better for teh metalz, the older versions or the anniversary MOSFET?

And I trust anything will be better than my Boss MT-2
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Any of them will work pretty much equally as good as a boost. Just make sure that you get a MOSFET or one of the older ones with the Comp Cut as I find that to be an extremely useful feature. The MOSFET can get pretty close to the tone of the old pre-MOSFET models and goes further if you're interested in using it on it's own too. The anniversary is like the regular MOSFET but a little bit more 'raw' and gritty sounding.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
Any of them will work pretty much equally as good as a boost. Just make sure that you get a MOSFET or one of the older ones with the Comp Cut as I find that to be an extremely useful feature. The MOSFET can get pretty close to the tone of the old pre-MOSFET models and goes further if you're interested in using it on it's own too. The anniversary is like the regular MOSFET but a little bit more 'raw' and gritty sounding.

I will consider it. Haven't seen a single vid or heard a single clip with this thing used for metal though.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Yea, you're average Fulltone customer isn't exactly a metal player. But the FD-2 is at it's heart a Tubescreamer modded for extra flexibility. The frequency response on vintage mode is the same as a TS but more dynamic and harmonically rich due to the clipping section. That won't have all that much effect when used as a boost. The part I see beneficial about it over a normal TS would be that it has the boost switch to give a considerable gain boost when you need it.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
Yea, you're average Fulltone customer isn't exactly a metal player. But the FD-2 is at it's heart a Tubescreamer modded for extra flexibility. The frequency response on vintage mode is the same as a TS but more dynamic and harmonically rich due to the clipping section. That won't have all that much effect when used as a boost. The part I see beneficial about it over a normal TS would be that it has the boost switch to give a considerable gain boost when you need it.

Hmm...I think they have some at GC, maybe I could try one out and if I don't like it just take it back.

Hopefully they have one though.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Most GCs should have at least one. They just keep them behind the counter and don't display them for some reason.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT