can anybody tell me some usefull scales i should learn and how i can implement them inti my own playing....i play a bit of everything but mainly rock. im sick of spending ages making my own solos and stuff i think knowing some good scales will help. thanks
INDIE SEMI HOLLOW DOUBLE CUT CUSTOM FOR SALE!!

IBANEZ S470 WITH MIRICLE MAN ADY SD JB PICK-UPS FOR SALE!!

PEAVEY VALVEKING 112 COMBO FOR SALE!!!

PM IF YOU ARE INTERESTED!!
right if you like happy rock learn major scale and arpeggios,

metal shite is diminshed minors n stuff

Pentatonic is a must for both
and learn all your 5 modes (pentatonics)
Quote by MarijuanaIsGood
if the elephant on the left is green, and the spider on the right is blue, what is in the middle and WHAT THE FUCK COLOR IS IT??

Quote by ThatGuy153à
Yo stop tripping, its just a Purple Bag'O'Green

i dont wanna melt in 2030
Major Scale and its modes, the Minor and Major Pentatonics (+Blues Scale), and just for fun the arabian scale, phrygian dominant, and the harmonic minor scale. Also, dimished scale and whole tone scale can come in handy for when writing cool weird shit.
what are modes?
INDIE SEMI HOLLOW DOUBLE CUT CUSTOM FOR SALE!!

IBANEZ S470 WITH MIRICLE MAN ADY SD JB PICK-UPS FOR SALE!!

PEAVEY VALVEKING 112 COMBO FOR SALE!!!

PM IF YOU ARE INTERESTED!!
Yes.
The Major Scale, along with the Harmonic and Melodic Minor Scales (as well as your pentatonic scales and the blues scale) is all you really need.
Learn the Major Scale on one string (as in, all 6 strings, up and down without leaving the string your on) in all 12 keys. Then, learn it by mode, in one octave positions going up each string set (2-3 Notes per string). Then, learn it in 5 CAGED positions (1.5-2 octaves) and 2 3 note per string positions (2 octaves or more). Then start practicing it by mode (as in C-C, D-D etc) and by playing ascending and descending triads, then seventh chord arpeggios (all of this is in every key).
do that with all your minor scales and you'll be set for a while. Learn your pentatonics and blues scales by how they derive from the afforementioned scales. If thats not enough you can do similar things with your whole tone and diminished scales.
Quote by guitarscreams
and learn all your 5 modes (pentatonics)

Maybe you should learn modes if you're really interested in them. This phrase alone is completely incorrect in two glaringly obvious ways.

TS, don't bother about modes until you have a decent handle on majors and minors.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by mr frusciante
what are modes?

Modes are essentially scales that are derived from another scale. The main modes that everyone talks about are derived from the major scale.

For example, C major contains the notes CDEFGAB and you resolve to C. Pretty simple. Where modes come into play is when you use those same notes and resolve to a different tone. If you resolve to D with those same notes, you will be playing D dorian mode. If you resolve to E with those same notes, you will be playing E phrygian mode. And this goes so on through the list.

Now, once we figure all the intervals of those different modes we get this:
ionian: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7
dorian: 1,2,b3,4,5,6,b7
phrygian: 1,b2,b3,4,5,b6,b7
lydian: 1,2,3,#4,5,6,7
mixolydian: 1,2,3,4,5,6,b7
aeolian: 1,2,b3,4,5,b6,b7
locrian: 1,b2,b3,4,b5,b6,b7

Now they are starting to look more like regular scales huh?

One very very important note:
If a song is in C major this means it resolves to C and uses the notes of C major. You cannot play D dorian or E phrygian over this song because it will always resolve to C. You might think you're playing a mode, but you're just playing the C major scale and looking at it differently.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
The most basic scales are the major and minor pentatonic. Pentatonic scales are used a lot in rock music. Major pentatonic scale: 1,2,3,5,6. If you are in the key of C, the notes are C, D, E, G, A. Every major pentatonic has a relative minor. The relative minor is the 6th degree of the major pentatonic. In the key of C, the relative minor is A minor pentatonic. The notes are A, C, D, E, G or 1, b3, 4, 5, b7.

If you are improvising over a C/F/G/C progression, you can use C major pentatonic scales.
The major and natural minor scale are also important to know. It will give you more options. The more scales you know, it will give you the option to improvise and create the sound you want.

In the key of C, the major scale will be C,D,E,F,G,A,B,C or whole step, whole step, half step, whole step, whole step, whole step, half step. To get the natural minor scale, the 3rd, 6th and 7th are flatted. C natural minor scale: C,D,Eb,F,G,Ab,Bb,C or whole step, half step, whole step, half step, whole step, whole step.

For every major scale, there is a relative minor scale, which is the natural minor scale. It is the 6th degree from the root.
For example, the relative minor scale of C major is A minor. They shared the same notes, the only difference is starting on the root.
With the major and minor scales, you will be able to combine pentatonic scales when you are improvising.

Once you feel comfortable with the major and natural minor scales, you can also consider harmonic and melodic minor scales, and then the modes.
Scales are USELESS ... if you don't know how to use them.

That being said, look up Marty Friedman's melodic control video
- major scale
- natural minor, harmonic minor, melodic minor
- major pentatonic
- minor pentatonic

Don't bother with modes yet.
"Swords, nature's hell sticks."- Trip Fisk
oh god, i sense a mode rage
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
1. Get drunk
2. play pentatonic scales fast
3. throw in some divebombs and pinch harmonics
4. Get killed onstage
5. become legendary guitarist instantaneously

Quote by Holy Katana

How dare you attack the greatness of the augmented sixth?
I think someone should do like a MODES before your ask... for scales lol. just look at how this is going... no doubt TS is lost now with all the modes talk and such.
Quote by brandon2784
I think someone should do like a MODES before your ask... for scales lol. just look at how this is going... no doubt TS is lost now with all the modes talk and such.

There is a sticky up the top, but maybe a FAQ would be helpful.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud