So I have been interested in getting a new amp to upgrade from my Line 6 Spider III 75w amp. I recently found this listing on my local craigslist for a Crate FXT120 120w 2x12 combo amp for $150. I know most of you will say anything is an upgrade from a Spider, but is this a good deal that I should jump on? My budget right now is $300 or less. $350 at the very most.

If it helps I play mostly metal type music (As I Lay Dying, Disturbed, Killswitch Engage, Bullet For My Valentine to name a few) and also hard rock/rock. My main guitar I am using is a Schecter C-1 Elite. The Schecter has stock Duncan Designed pickups in them that I also plan to upgrade in the future, but thought an amp upgrade would be better first.

So should I buy this amp? Or should I save my money and get something else?

Thanks for any input!
save your money, the line 6 may be a upgrade for the Crate.
Id say keep saving like a 100 dollars or more, you'll be able to get a much nicer amp
You should save until you have around 500-600 and get the Peavey 6505+ 60 watt combo... The 6505 is pretty much the standard for metal.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Quote by GibsonMan321
You should save until you have around 500-600 and get the Peavey 6505+ 60 watt combo... The 6505 is pretty much the standard for metal.

I have no experience with tube amps, but don't you need to kinda have the volume cranked to get the full tone out of it? If so that's not good since I live in an apartment. I don't have to play whisper quiet but I won't be able to crank it to 10 all the time.

Edit: After watching some reviews of it on Youtube, people in the comments say it sounds good at low volumes, but it sounds better at higher volumes.
Last edited by butterfingers30 at Aug 2, 2010,
You can nab a Peavey Ultra for the price. I have one and it can do cleans, dist, lead, metal, country, and I even plug my acoustic in there (with some preampage, of course). I love that thing and it should cost you about 300.

The solid state Orange practice amps are really cool as well, pretty much the only small SS I would recommend.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by fastlanestoner
You can nab a Peavey Ultra for the price. I have one and it can do cleans, dist, lead, metal, country, and I even plug my acoustic in there (with some preampage, of course). I love that thing and it should cost you about 300.

The solid state Orange practice amps are really cool as well, pretty much the only small SS I would recommend.

^^^this.

The ultra was the precursor to the famous peavey XXX amp. I have seen XXX amps listed on Craigslist and they disappear very quickly. As do ultra's.
Umm I definitely would not recommend the Orange crush. It's probably the only orange amp that I wouldn't recommend.

Yeah don't buy the crate amp, it won't be much of an upgrade, might be a little louder but thats not always better.

I would say save up about $300 and buy a used Peavey Valveking 112 Combo. It's 50 watts, all tube. You can get them pretty cheap. Not horrible amps once you dial them in, especially for your first tube amp
they also make a 212 100 watt combo, you could easily find either one used on craigslist or ebay, very popular amp.

although like said above, if you could save up like $400-600 you could get a used 5150 or 6505 combo. I got my 5150 for $400....
well he plays metal, nothing against the valveking, but it really doesnt reach high high gain, and please dont ever spend money on a crate sir, now i know you dont have expieriance with tubes but i suggest saving up for a tube combo, the Bugeras arent half bad and are affordable, a used Peavey XXX or 5150/6505 would also be great for you, also Randall might be a company to look into a few bands you list play Randalls as well, they arent bad for what they do which is extremely lowend heavy high gain
Kona Custom(Duncan Loaded)
LTD H300(Duncan Loaded)
LTD H400 (Duncan Loaded) STOCK YESSSS
LTD M202 BB(Duncan Loaded)
80s American Tele(STOCK)
Gibson Faded V
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Mesa Triple Rectifier (EL-34s)
and many more.....
Quote by Branado
well he plays metal, nothing against the valveking, but it really doesnt reach high high gain, and please dont ever spend money on a crate sir, now i know you dont have expieriance with tubes but i suggest saving up for a tube combo, the Bugeras arent half bad and are affordable, a used Peavey XXX or 5150/6505 would also be great for you, also Randall might be a company to look into a few bands you list play Randalls as well, they arent bad for what they do which is extremely lowend heavy high gain

You obviously haven't played a vintage Crate or a Blue Voodoo. Spoken like a true n00b

TS, for those tones, while it's terribly cliche a used 6505 is going to be your best bet, and for metal you don't want to have to crank the volume, hence the high headroom
i only recommended the valveking cause it sounds like he probably won't be able to afford a 6505 or XXX, you can't get one for under $400