Hey guys.

Im starting my placement year in september for an engineering job. At the moment ive been switching through student houses and drinking my insides black, party etc etc etc, the cliche student lifestyle.

This cannot continue. For next year anyway. My friends are just to insane and most of them arent going on placement year and just back to uni whereas i am, and im afraid of living with them again for fear of them having a midnight party every week when i have to get up for work the next morning at 6!!I still want to have fun at the weekends, drink etc, so thats why i don't want to live back home with my parents. the job gives a salary of £14k So i can afford a pretty decent apartment!

I really want this job, and i really want my engineering degree to be worth something (i.e a 2.1 or above), so im thinking of getting a decent furnished 1 bedroom apartment in the city(belfast) and living there for a year, so i can concentrate on my work and not have people partying all around me. Also so i can have somewhere where me and my girlfriend can be alone (provided we dont break up over the issue of us both working full time).

At the moment im living in my friends spare room, as my lease ran out in june. Happy enough with it, but i kinda feel like i should be going to lectures and getting drunk every night, where as in an apartment, i guess i can lead a more professional lifestyle!
Does anyone agree this would be the best option? has anybody got experience with living completley alone in the city before in an apartment? any hints tips, how to get the best deal or general stories to share, go ahead.

Much appreciated.
Gear:
Wasburn x-40w/floyd roseOFR
Swineshead venom+warthog pups
Kustom 100 wt quad DFX,Boss MT-2,Ibanez TS-7
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.
Last edited by x0rsist at Aug 2, 2010,
Last year I moved out of a house with 8 students and into one with just my girlfriend and I.

Best idea ever. No more dickheads to deal with at all times of the night, much easier to do work, much more relaxed. It was brilliant. The house was cleaner, quieter and with better food.

Of course it's not for everyone. However it sounds like you've enjoyed yourself enough and are happy to settle down and work even harder at your degree now. Go for it.

Oh and I did Electronics and Communication Engineering. I ended up just shy of a 2:1 Good luck, I hope you get what you aim for!

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen

Quote by x0rsist
Hey guys.

Im starting my placement year in september for an engineering job. At the moment ive been switching through student houses and drinking my insides black, party etc etc etc, the cliche student lifestyle.

This cannot continue. For next year anyway. My friends are just to insane and most of them arent going on placement year and just back to ni whereas i am, and im afraid of living with them again for fear of them having a midnight party every week when i have to get up for work the next morning at 6!!I still want to have fun at the weekends, drink etc, so thats why i don't want to live back home with my parents. the job gives a salary of £14k So i can afford a pretty decent apartment!

I really want this job, and i really want my engineering degree to be worth something (i.e a 2.1 or above), so im thinking of getting a decent furnished 1 bedroom apartment in the city(belfast) and living there for a year, so i can concentrate on my work and not have people partying all around me. Also so i can have somewhere where me and my girlfriend can be alone (provided we dont break up over the issue of us both working full time).

At the moment im living in my friends spare room, as my lease ran out in june. Happy enough with it, but i kinda feel like i should be going to lectures and getting drunk every night, where as in an apartment, i guess i can lead a more professional lifestyle!
Does anyone agree this would be the best option? has anybody got experience with living completley alone in the city before in an apartment? any hints tips, how to get the best deal or general stories to share, go ahead.

Much appreciated.

I'd say it's a good idea. I'd like to get my own place for uni, but I can't afford to.

If you are able to travel though, I'd say to look for a place out side of town and save a bit of money. I've seen apartments for rent at about £200 a month in Rathcoole, can't hurt to look can it?
I live in a 1 bedroom in LA. Not great, but there's no crime in my area and you can't beat the location.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by robhc
I'd say it's a good idea. I'd like to get my own place for uni, but I can't afford to.

If you are able to travel though, I'd say to look for a place out side of town and save a bit of money. I've seen apartments for rent at about £200 a month in Rathcoole, can't hurt to look can it?

That is an idea man, because i do want some extra cash for a new car and stuff. Though the idea was to stay central in south belfast area where i can have easy acess to my friends and favourite bars like laverys and all. Do you have a link for these places you are talking about?
Gear:
Quote by x0rsist

I have nothing to say on the situation as a whole, but I do think that you should understand that a relationship shouldn't be made or destroyed by convenience or lack thereof. What brings a relationship together should be divine, something majestic; not something that can just be thrown away with the slightest wish. Relationships should mean something, should be made by something.

That's why dating makes you calloused, practiced. It's like inflicting scars on your heart to make it tougher. And when you do that, it stars leaking into other areas of your life. Personal opinion here, but I think that's partially why the internet contains so many horrid things. A scar on one area of your heart leads to you getting a scar on another area of your heart and it keeps going on until you have this massive structure that feels nothing.

Anyway, may God bless your journey!
Quote by aaciseric
But wouldn't all that be worth it to ride a zebra around campus? Perhaps dressed in chainmail? Maybe with a plastic sword and a wench who may or may not just be a prostitute?

I had a one-room appartment in Berlin for a year.

Aside an incident with locking myself out and voices in my toilet, it was pretty fun.
Quote by kstar22bassist
I have nothing to say on the situation as a whole, but I do think that you should understand that a relationship shouldn't be made or destroyed by convenience or lack thereof. What brings a relationship together should be divine, something majestic; not something that can just be thrown away with the slightest wish. Relationships should mean something, should be made by something.

That's why dating makes you calloused, practiced. It's like inflicting scars on your heart to make it tougher. And when you do that, it stars leaking into other areas of your life. Personal opinion here, but I think that's partially why the internet contains so many horrid things. A scar on one area of your heart leads to you getting a scar on another area of your heart and it keeps going on until you have this massive structure that feels nothing.

Anyway, may God bless your journey!

haha thanks for your input dude, but i unfortunatley have to disagree with you. I too used to think the same as you back in the day when i was actually religious, but as i grew older i noticed nothing in the world was how i had been told it would be by my bible teachers and stuff, not even relationships, and when i went into my 1st one with all the same notions as you said in your 1st paragraph, they got shattered.

Yeah i have a slightly more hardened heart than before, but im still fulla love for my girl, but unfortunatley shit happens, like having to work full time whilst also living quite a bit away from each other. it takes its toll.

Quote by Blayney
Last year I moved out of a house with 8 students and into one with just my girlfriend and I.

Best idea ever. No more dickheads to deal with at all times of the night, much easier to do work, much more relaxed. It was brilliant. The house was cleaner, quieter and with better food.

Of course it's not for everyone. However it sounds like you've enjoyed yourself enough and are happy to settle down and work even harder at your degree now. Go for it.

Oh and I did Electronics and Communication Engineering. I ended up just shy of a 2:1 Good luck, I hope you get what you aim for!

So you think its a good idea? I wont be living with her cause she lives about 20 miles away and has a job near her but she regularly visits me and stuff. My mates are cool but when they are drunk they will come into my room and dry hump me at night! hah i can see it happening. living alone would put me at ease!

unlicky on the degree man. Hope you end up using it though! There should be plenty of jobs going in that sector!

next year ill go back to a stuent house for final year, so i still have fun to have. I just need somehwere to work hard for a year and do well at this job!
Quote by CoreysMonster
I had a one-room appartment in Berlin for a year.

Aside an incident with locking myself out and voices in my toilet, it was pretty fun.

AHAH man sounds like something i would do!....wait, you had a haunted toilet!?
Gear:
Last edited by x0rsist at Aug 2, 2010,
Quote by x0rsist
That is an idea man, because i do want some extra cash for a new car and stuff. Though the idea was to stay central in south belfast area where i can have easy acess to my friends and favourite bars like laverys and all. Do you have a link for these places you are talking about?

I've just been checking this website for the past few months looking at stuff in convenient areas, find the occasional good place:

http://www.propertynews.com/index.php
Quote by robhc
I've just been checking this website for the past few months looking at stuff in convenient areas, find the occasional good place:

http://www.propertynews.com/index.php

thanks man ive never used this site before but it seems pretty solid. get yourself a student loan full maintenance (basically 4 grand) and as many bursaries as you can if your going to higher education and you can afford to move out. thats how i did! living with parents just doesnt compare to living alone. about 20 leagues below
Gear: