I'm planning to do something with music in college. Be it major, minor, performance, compositional, or anything else, I have no idea currently, but I know something will be there. So, for my next guitar, on the recommendation of a friend I'm in a backing band with who recently graduated as a music major, I'm looking into something with a full two-octave fretboard with good upper fret access and a stable tremolo so I don't have to borrow a guitar for any class that needs a tremolo and/or oddly high notes.

This, coupled with my distaste for thin necks, my love of weird switching for tonal insanity, and my hope to get it for under $1,000, has led me to this;

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Brian-May-Guitars-Brian-May-Signature-Electric-Guitar?sku=512637

I love Queen, but I'm not buying it because it has Brian's name on the headstock(I've played one once, and rather enjoyed it), it has what looks like very easy upper fret access, 24 frets, and as previously said, I know I like the sound and feel of it.

There is however the issue of the tremolo. It's a non-locking Wilkinson. Normally this wouldn't be a concern as I don't really use a tremolo much because I'm awful with it, but if I decide on the above uncertainty to major in something relating to music, I plan to apply to Berklee. Alumni teach there on occasion, and suffice to say someone will end the class impaled with a guitar if I can't stay in tune for Professor Vai's seminar on using a tremolo effectively, and it's not because of old strings.

A friend on another forum who owns one of these assures me it can stay in tune with wankery, but as it's non-locking, I just want to be sure; does it?

As always, greatly appreciated to everyone and anyone who reads through my rambling and replies.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
it stays in tune if you're dive bombing and doing slight pull ups, but if you are possesed by Satch or Vai you will get a little out of tune after a while
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
you should really go for any ibanez that has the edge 3 tremolo. the two guitars i own are, RGA72TQM and RG3520ZE. Both are incredible guitars. the RGA has an EQ Boost, which helps alot for shredding and insane divebombs, as in Nightmare by Avenged Sevenfold. they are both dual locking tremolo. i play in all forms of tuning from stanard to B.
Quote by bass94
you should really go for any ibanez that has the edge 3 tremolo. the two guitars i own are, RGA72TQM and RG3520ZE. Both are incredible guitars. the RGA has an EQ Boost, which helps alot for shredding and insane divebombs, as in Nightmare by Avenged Sevenfold. they are both dual locking tremolo. i play in all forms of tuning from stanard to B.

No.

To the OP a good vintage style bridge will keep you in tune well for a small amount of abuse and whammy useage but if you give it too much abuse it will go out.
Wilkinsons are VERY good, so long as you have good tuners to go with it. A wilkinson VS100 + a set of Sperzel Trim Loks = slack strings return to pitch.

EDIT: Go for Carvin. Superb guitars and a phenomenal value.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by evhbrianmay
it stays in tune if you're dive bombing and doing slight pull ups, but if you are possesed by Satch or Vai you will get a little out of tune after a while

Hmm...well, what do you mean by "Possessed by Satch or Vai"? Do you mean that if I used it as much as they do in a single sitting, it'll go out of tune, or that if you throw in a Vaism here or there, or replicate a demonstration of that sort of tremolo technique, it'll fall out of tune?(Ergo, is it just doing it over and over quickly in a performance situation, or it'll fall out of tune doing much more than the kind of stuff Eddie Van Halen does?)

Quote by bass94

I understand it's a matter of preference, but I don't like Ibanez guitars. The necks are too thin for me, the pickups are generally higher-output, and I like low-medium output. I like them for other people, but I couldn't stand one. If I go with a locking system, I'm getting a Carvin with the Floyd.

Quote by coolstoryangus
No.

To the OP a good vintage style bridge will keep you in tune well for a small amount of abuse and whammy useage but if you give it too much abuse it will go out.

Well, again, how much is too much abuse? Could I at least use it for a class on using a tremolo?

Quote by necrosis1193
Hmm...well, what do you mean by "Possessed by Satch or Vai"? Do you mean that if I used it as much as they do in a single sitting, it'll go out of tune, or that if you throw in a Vaism here or there, or replicate a demonstration of that sort of tremolo technique, it'll fall out of tune?(Ergo, is it just doing it over and over quickly in a performance situation, or it'll fall out of tune doing much more than the kind of stuff Eddie Van Halen does?)

I understand it's a matter of preference, but I don't like Ibanez guitars. The necks are too thin for me, the pickups are generally higher-output, and I like low-medium output. I like them for other people, but I couldn't stand one. If I go with a locking system, I'm getting a Carvin with the Floyd.

Well, again, how much is too much abuse? Could I at least use it for a class on using a tremolo?

Yeah ofcourse. You'd have to give it LOTS of abuse to make it go out of tune too much and i'm sure if you're wanting to go to college you'd be able to make small tuning adjustments.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Yeah ofcourse. You'd have to give it LOTS of abuse to make it go out of tune too much and i'm sure if you're wanting to go to college you'd be able to make small tuning adjustments.

So then it should be fine then?(I apologize if this seems like a redundant question, but I just want to be sure)

Quote by necrosis1193
So then it should be fine then?(I apologize if this seems like a redundant question, but I just want to be sure)

yes
yeah, i mean in a single sitting, and carvin doesent use the vs100 or whatever the high quality one is called which is about the only bad thing about carvin
(PM Me.)
Quote by oneblackened
Wilkinsons are VERY good, so long as you have good tuners to go with it. A wilkinson VS100 + a set of Sperzel Trim Loks = slack strings return to pitch.

EDIT: Go for Carvin. Superb guitars and a phenomenal value.

Quote by evhbrianmay
yeah, i mean in a single sitting, and carvin doesent use the vs100 or whatever the high quality one is called which is about the only bad thing about carvin

Well, now I'm a little conflicted(Although I'm a little confused as to what evhbrianmay is referring to as I never mentioned amps), as the only Floyd-equipped guitars I've ever played have been store guitars, which means that they either have a horrid setup, dead strings that fly out of tune like mad, or have had their bars stolen(Or all of the above), so I mainly only have words of others to go on.

Just for the record, the Carvin I'm looking at wouldn't be my first(I ordered one a few weeks ago, it should be about half done right now.), so I'm aware of the quality, I'm just not sure whether I'd be better-served spending the extra $400 or so on a DC145 spec'd out to my liking with a Floyd than a Brian May model.

Schecters have thickish necks, and almost all have 24 frets, as well as FR's.

And they're fairly cheap, but excellent quality.
Necrosis, dude, get an ST300. Those things are teh sexay. Or, you could get a bolt with an FR. That'd work too.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by That Jeep Guy
Schecters have thickish necks, and almost all have 24 frets, as well as FR's.

And they're fairly cheap, but excellent quality.

I actually looked into Schecter. I kind of liked them, but they had too heavy a sound for what I was looking for, and the necks were too curved, the the point it just didn't feel quite right. I like a flattish neck that has some girth to it, or a baseball bat from the 50's. I can play most other things, but those are what feel good. That said though, the Schecters weren't too bad.

Quote by oneblackened
Necrosis, dude, get an ST300. Those things are teh sexay. Or, you could get a bolt with an FR. That'd work too.

The Carvin is actually to be either an ST300 or a DC145, depending on which looks better once Carvin gets more non-stock photos of ST300's to judge by(They come to a $10-$25 difference spec'd the same, close enough not to feel bad paying for looks). It'd come out to about $400 more than the Brian May though, and it'd have the locking system to mess with, which I've not had the best of experiences with. That said, I'm really open to most ideas, especially involving Carvin(One of my favourite brands after discovering them), so suggest away.

Take a look at this:

Base Model Options Quantity Price
BOLTPLUSC
Right Handed
Floyd Rose Tremolo 1 $819.00

LN - Floyd Rose Locking Nut $25.00
-MA - Maple Neck/Alder Body (Standard) $0.00
-CG - Clear Gloss Finish (Standard) $0.00
PB - Pearl Blue $0.00
-IN - Inline Headstock (Standard) $0.00
-MPH - Satin Maple Headstock (Standard) $0.00
-EB - Ebony Fingerboard (Standard) $0.00
-DI - Dot Inlays (Standard) $0.00
-FR - Med-Jumbo Frets .048" H .103" W (Standard) $0.00
-R12 - 12in Fretboard Radius (Standard) $0.00
-C22B - C22B Bridge Pickup (Standard) $0.00
-C22J - C22J Neck Pickup (Standard) $0.00
-400 - Black Coils w/ Black Bezels (Standard) $0.00
-CH - Chrome Hardware (Standard) $0.00
-46 - Elixir 1046E Light Gauge .010 - .046 (Standard) $0.00
BL - Black Logo $0.00
HC11 - Form-Fitted ABS Hardshell Case $59.00
Custom Shop Total: $903.00

A bolt plus is basically a DC145 but with a bolt on neck. I think the ST300 looks better though.
This is the one I want, is it in any way shape or form similar to what you want?
ST300C
Right Handed
Floyd Rose Tremolo 1 $869.00

LN - Floyd Rose Locking Nut $25.00
-MA - Maple Neck/Alder Body (Standard) $0.00
-CG - Clear Gloss Finish (Standard) $0.00
FTL - Blueburst Flame $160.00
RIN - Reverse Inline Headstock $30.00
-PH - Headstock To Match Plain Wood Body Color (Standard) $0.00
-EB - Ebony Fingerboard (Standard) $0.00
-DI - Dot Inlays (Standard) $0.00
-FR - Med-Jumbo Frets .048" H .103" W (Standard) $0.00
-R12 - 12in Fretboard Radius (Standard) $0.00
-C22B - C22B Bridge Pickup (Standard) $0.00
-C22J - C22J Neck Pickup (Standard) $0.00
-400 - Black Coils w/ Black Bezels (Standard) $0.00
-CH - Chrome Hardware (Standard) $0.00
-46 - Elixir 1046E Light Gauge .010 - .046 (Standard) $0.00
HC11 - Form-Fitted ABS Hardshell Case $59.00
Custom Shop Total: $1,143.00
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Rather similar actually, only I was planning on a different finish and with a quilt top. The only differences other than the finish though are the inlays, the fretwire(Which is only different in that it'd be stainless steel, still medium-jumbo), and maybe the body wood, depending on whether or not I want to try to match the mahogany-fueled sound of the one I'm currently awaiting. So mainly, it's just cosmetic differences, so I'd say it is.

As for the whole "Bolt-Carvin vs. Neck-thru Carvin" thing, like I said, one thing I was looking for with this was all access, which included 24 frets. Granted, Buckethead, Joe Satch, Al Di Meola, and various others have shown it's fully possibly to pull any and every trick in the book with 22 instead of 24, so that may be an idea worth exploring.

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Aug 3, 2010,
I dunno, it's just... blueburst! OM NOM MOTHER****ING NOM.

Yeah, though, I do like the sound of mahogany and maple combined... warm, but tempered with a bit of snap.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Last edited by oneblackened at Aug 3, 2010,
Quote by necrosis1193
As for the whole "Bolt-Carvin vs. Neck-thru Carvin" thing, like I said, one thing I was looking for with this was all access, which included 24 frets. Granted, Buckethead, Joe Satch, Al Di Meola, and various others have shown it's fully possibly to pull any and every trick in the book with 22 instead of 24, so that may be an idea worth exploring.

Satch and Bucket both use 24 fret guitars as well. As for bolt versus neck-thru, most bolt guitars have the neck attach close enough to the body that your thumb won't be interfered by them when playing high on the neck. You might look into Ibanez as they have the AANJ neck joint which feels just like a neck-thru (ask Vai).
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
I have found the Wilkinson bridges to stay in tune better than any other non-locking or single-locking bridge. That said, they won't stand up to full Floyd Rose-style abuse and on some units the arm itself wobbles about and has a lot of play in it, which isn't so good. If absolute precision and full dive range is a must then you need a double-locking bridge with one of those new Earvana compensated locking nuts, no question about it. Otherwise, I think the Wilkinson is fine; it is certainly the best of the non-locking designs.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
if you get a carvin get a foyd rose WITH LOCKING NUT (its an option)
or get a wilkinson and upgrade it.
Also I've heard about problems with the zero-fret wearing out fast on the red special, so getting a stainless steel one would be a good investment, and if you do go with carvin opt for the stainless frets, they're a lifesaver and slick as ice
(PM Me.)
Quote by oneblackened
I dunno, it's just... blueburst! OM NOM MOTHER****ING NOM.

Yeah, though, I do like the sound of mahogany and maple combined... warm, but tempered with a bit of snap.

I counter blueburst with another bluish finish; Dragonburst.

And yeah, that was what I was going for in-part; the spirit of a Les Paul(Not the exact tone, I know a double-cut bolt-neck won't get that, but most of it at least) in the playability of a strat.

Quote by Metalfan41
Satch and Bucket both use 24 fret guitars as well. As for bolt versus neck-thru, most bolt guitars have the neck attach close enough to the body that your thumb won't be interfered by them when playing high on the neck. You might look into Ibanez as they have the AANJ neck joint which feels just like a neck-thru (ask Vai).

The first point is legitimate, as is the bolt on-neck thru point. However, as said above, I don't like Ibanez. Carvin and Schecter are just about the only brands that regularly use locking systems I like, and between the two I'll take a Carvin.

Quote by MrFlibble
I have found the Wilkinson bridges to stay in tune better than any other non-locking or single-locking bridge. That said, they won't stand up to full Floyd Rose-style abuse and on some units the arm itself wobbles about and has a lot of play in it, which isn't so good. If absolute precision and full dive range is a must then you need a double-locking bridge with one of those new Earvana compensated locking nuts, no question about it. Otherwise, I think the Wilkinson is fine; it is certainly the best of the non-locking designs.

Well, I suppose that is fairly reassuring, and Jeff Beck stayed in-tune with a standard two-point tremolo unit when I went to see him despite not a minute going by where he didn't touch the thing, save for when he grabbed a tele or Les Paul...it'll probably do then, though best to try a Wilkinson and a Floyd beforehand to be sure before ordering.

Quote by evhbrianmay
if you get a carvin get a foyd rose WITH LOCKING NUT (its an option)
or get a wilkinson and upgrade it.
Also I've heard about problems with the zero-fret wearing out fast on the red special, so getting a stainless steel one would be a good investment, and if you do go with carvin opt for the stainless frets, they're a lifesaver and slick as ice

Well, the Floyd without the locking nut was something I was considering to get something in-between the Floyd and the Wilkinson, but at that point the locking nut is only $20 more, so I may as well fork out the extra to keep it rock-solid I figured. That said though, reminding myself of the stability that El Becko had is making me reconsider the locking nut for ease of use.

As for the Zero Fret, I've never actually understood what they're supposed to do? And trust me, after my tele had the same fret size as my PRS copy, but using stainless steel, I'm not going back to regular fretwire.

I second the Floyd + Earvana Compensated Nut + Locking Tuners suggestion.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
zero frets do a few hings, they keep the nut string height, and they change open string tone a little bit so it sounds like the a fretted string
(PM Me.)
Quote by evhbrianmay

YES Carvin DOES use the VS100
Which IS the "high quality" one!
As for whoever wants to know the Wilkie's stability read these reviews: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar_tremolos/Wilkinson_Gotoh_VS-100N_Tremolo.html
I have had one on a '94 Carvin DC127T and with the Sperzel locking tuners I never had a problem with it! The Carvin locking tuners that they use now are Far superior to the Sperzels that Carvin used to use. The Carvins are a killer 19:1 ratio!!!!!
Ummm...by this time, Necrosis has probsbly done whatever the music related thing in college was- the last post before yours is from 3 1/2 years ago.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
if i were you, i would get a neck thru carvin or bolt on carvin with a floyd, and some of the phase switching options.

if you get a carvin with the wilkinson, at least get the option for peizo / acoustic pups. you say you like crazy switching options...thats a good one.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
If I could put a Wilkinson trem on my Squier I'd do it in a heart beat...but they don't make it in import string spacing

EDIT: Stupid necro threads, haven't been on the forums in a while, keep forgetting to look at the dates
Last edited by ethan_hanus at Feb 21, 2014,