I'm looking to get a new amp for gigging and recording. I have a line 6 spider 2 (i know...) i want a versatille amp that can range from blues, classic rock to metal etc. I love Slash's tone which i know leads to a marshall. I also love dimebag and lamb of god. I'm looking for something that can handle all of these as well as some good blues (like george thorogood).

my budget is around $1000 and i would like to get opinions before i buy an amp i'll regret. I'm new to the gear world.

Thank you to anyone who helps!
i have a peavey vypyr tube 60 watt.
sounds great, blows away the tone from a spider. amazing volume. all the features of a spyder but sounds good.
i play alot of metal, and the distortions sound great, but i dont play much else, so i cant really rate the muffs and effects and stuff.
Find a used Marshall DSL 401 and throw a pedal infront of it for heavier sounds.

Really a great amp, but the Vypyr tube is also a good sugguestion like the guy above said.
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I never would have thought of the Vypr. Any other suggestions out there?
i wouldn't suggest the vypyr. my sig is an explanation of why.

the used dsl wouldn't be bad
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
maybe a marshall jcm 800? then throw a pedal in front for metal.

edit: also, don't get a vipyr. if you have a budget of $1000, DO NOT get a practice amp. if you want a good blues tone you want real tube breakup, and even the tube vipyr can't provide that. the tube is a gimmick.
Last edited by scaryfried at Aug 3, 2010,
frieds got it on the nose
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
I'm proud to announce I found a Marshall JCM 800 2203 with vertical inputs and a 1960A 4 speaker slant cab.

The sound is unreal on this thing. Now I have to start on a pedal board, starting with a tube screamer and delay.

The delay will sound okay without the effects loop right?
Quote by pauln

The delay will sound okay without the effects loop right?

As long as you keep the gain low enough, it will sound fine
Congratulations =]

Yeah, the delay will work, but put it last in your chain and it'll sound bad with too much gain, pretty much what the guy above me said.
Last edited by slickerthnsleek at Aug 23, 2010,
Quote by scaryfried
maybe a marshall jcm 800? then throw a pedal in front for metal.

edit: also, don't get a vipyr. if you have a budget of $1000, DO NOT get a practice amp. if you want a good blues tone you want real tube breakup, and even the tube vipyr can't provide that. the tube is a gimmick.

You be trollin'.

The amp has a full tube power amp. You clearly haven't tried a Vypyr Tube. The amp actually gives the response and feel of a tube amp. Don't make comments on things you don't know about.
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm