Alright, I have recently ventured into the realm of playing while standing. I seem to be doing ok with my fret hand, however, my picking hand is having some issues. Sometimes it sounds like im just slapping the strings and other times I can actually feel the pick sliding diagonally across the strings instead of down them.

I have watched some videos online and I noticed that some people pick farther up the neck than in between the pick-ups.

Any help would be great.
if its hard to play, higher the strap. rather look goofy and play good, than look "cool" and sound like a donkeys ass.
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
Quote by kakos
if its hard to play, higher the strap. rather look goofy and play good, than look "cool" and sound like a donkeys ass.

This and just practice playing that way, no matter how high your strap is it'll feel different when you stand up so it will take some getting used to.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by dannyo6o9
Alright, I have recently ventured into the realm of playing while standing. I seem to be doing ok with my fret hand, however, my picking hand is having some issues. Sometimes it sounds like im just slapping the strings and other times I can actually feel the pick sliding diagonally across the strings instead of down them.

I have watched some videos online and I noticed that some people pick farther up the neck than in between the pick-ups.

Any help would be great.

where you pick along the strings has a lot to do with the tone your guitar gives you. Try it out, strum a note continuously and move along the string from the neck picking to the bridge and back and just listen

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
You'll have to practice a bit slowly & focus on reducing the diagonal picking thingy. Try to control the direction of your right hand by observing it while you play, this will take sometime but its like learning everything else on guitar, all you need is practice
Devote a certain amount of time to your practice routines standing up. I don't have a rigid rule... I'll just decide that it's time to stand up for a while.

Practice standing up so you get used to the feeling of playing standing up. Pretty simple really. Then you'll be comfortable when you perform live. This seems often overlooked, but if you perform a lot standing up (or plan to) then it is critical that your techniques don't dissappear when out of your comfort zone (i.e. not hunched over in a chair).

While we're at it... practice without looking down constantly as well. It's bad entertainment to watch a guitarist staring downward all the time. And if you sing too, then you have no choice anyway. So practice to perform.