I'm making a list of pedals I'd like to add to my board... I want to get a TC Electronics Phaser, BOSS DD7, EHX Electric Mistress, an EQ, probably an MXR.

I've always had ideas of getting a compressor but I've never really discovered quite how much difference they can make in your tone until recently, they seem like a bit of a 'secret weapon' that you wouldn't pay much attention to, but wou'd notice if it was missing.

I play a variety of things, I'd like a compressor mostly for metal stuff, kind of like how Synyster Gates uses his, but also that can give me an evened out sound while tapping and that RHCP 'Under The Bridge' tone. Things like the EHX Black Finger and the Keeley are a bit out of my price range, I was looking towards the EHX Soul Preacher, modded BOSS CS3, MXR Dyna Comp, BBE Main Squeeze, Rocktron Big Crush... any suggestions?

EDIT: Or this one, I found it online and read about the brand in Total Guitar magazine, they had some pedals derivative of BOSS pedals, and the guy lives not far from me. http://cgi.ebay.com/BETA-AIVIN-CS-200-COMPRESSION-SUSTAINER-EFFECT-FX-PEDAL-/170521921333?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Instrument_Accessories&hash=item27b3e60735
Last edited by slickerthnsleek at Aug 2, 2010,
go to generalguitargadgets.com and order an Orange compressor kit. Orange comperssors are perfect for subtle, effective compression like in Under the Bridge and for tapping. Tony Levin has used them for years with his stick.

if you don't feel like building one yourself, you can probably find someon online who does. i've seen clones online anywhere from $99-$165. it all depends on how much you're willing to spend.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
I just found out the government is trying to bribe me to get my vote... Getting a payment this week, I won't be voting for them, but I'll gladly let them fund my pedalboard ^_^

Probably not much over $100. And I'm no good at building them myself.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
I just found out the government is trying to bribe me to get my vote... Getting a payment this week, I won't be voting for them, but I'll gladly let them fund my pedalboard ^_^

Probably not much over $100. And I'm no good at building them myself.

i would spend up a little more than that. a good compressor will set you back at least $125-$140. cheaper compressors, like boss or digitech, sound rubberbandish and quacky. remember, the best way to test a good compressor is to dial it in so it's not even there.

if you've never built a pedal before, the Orange compressor is a good palce to start. small part count, simple controls, small circuit.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Aug 2, 2010,
I actually played the Boss CS3 today and absolutely loved it. I can get one for a really good price atm, my only concern is that they are said to be noisy. The one I played today wasn't too bad but my setup is a lot noisier than the amp I played through today (I need a tube change, new cables, etc). Does modding it make much of a difference?
I'd recommend you stay away for the cs-3. They are extremely noisy and sound like junk IMO. I had one for about a week at one point. If you liked it, you'll be blown away by the better compressors.

Compressors aren't really something that you want to skimp on. I would look at the barber tone press, rothwell love squeeze, and the retro-sonic comp (The barber being my favorite and also the cheapest).
Hmm fair enough. Does it sound really bad even modded? ^_^

I looked into those, hard to get a hold of in Australia at a decent price. I did find the Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone which I really like though.
If you like the Boss get it
I would personally go for the Pigtronix though, or maybe a Voodoo Labs Analog Chorus if you can find one.
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
I bought the CS-3 once and sold it off the next day. It's great for cleans but once you switch to your dirt channel it squeals.

Try the Visual Sound Comp 66, T-Rex Nova-Comp, Rothwell Love Squeeze.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
I'm actually all but set on the Pigtronix one... the BOSS one was the only one available for me to try at the shop today, I was hoping they'd have the EHX Soul Preacher but no luck.

HellBoy - The latter two are hard to come by here, although I like the Comp 66.

At the moment, my shopping list for this weekend consists of:

Pigtronix Philosophers Tone
Boss DD7 Digital Delay (I ummed and ahhed about this one for ages)
Line 6 UX1
Shure SM57

Will also get the One-Spot pack so I can finally power my Small Clone... need to find a phaser, as the TC Electronics one, while incredible, is a little out of reach. Also looking at a Stereo Electric Mistress.

Thoughts?