I have a take home quiz and one of the questions picture the music staff theres a half note on the 2nd space (A) and a flat half note on the 4 space(Eflat) our question is to find the interval, I believe state whether its a like a minor 2nd, major 3rd, perfect fifth so on and so forth
Diminsehd fifith is right.
To figure it out just go up the scale.
So for example:
A B C# D E F# G# A (The A major scale)

Since you are looking for E flat just take the the E (the fith) and lower it a half step (making it diminshed)
so how about E-F?

and bass wise how about

G-E

C flat-F

B flat-A

and also just to see if I'm right on the treble cleff if it F-E would it be a major 2nd?
Ya'll rang?

Quote by amicone18
so how about E-F?

and bass wise how about

G-E

C flat-F

B flat-A

I'm not going to do your homework for you. You'll get nothing out of it that way.

Start by thinking about it in terms of the C Major scale. In C Major how far is G from E? Once you get the answer to that you make alterations as necessary (is it major, minor, diminished, augmented, doubly diminished, etc.?).

Same with Cb to F. Start by taking out the flat and finding what C to F is. Once you have what interval that is, add the flat BACK to the C and make your answer whatever it is. Remember, whatever number you find for the interval (3rd, 4th, 5th, etc.) will stay the same... whether it's major, minor, perfect, diminished, etc. is what changes.

Once you get all of those post them back and we/I/'ll tell you whether you're right.

and also just to see if I'm right on the treble cleff if it F-E would it be a major 2nd?

Nope. VERY close though.
Last edited by DiminishedFifth at Aug 2, 2010,
No to both (remember there's an edit button at the bottom right).

Start by counting the letters. I'll do one for you... Cb to F.

C D E F

There are 4 letters. This lets me know that it's an X 4th. X = major, minor, diminished, augmented, etc.

Now that I know C to F is a 4th, I add the flat:

Cb F

I'm expanding the interval. When you expand an interval, what do you call it?
isn't there only a perfect 4th? the reason I said major or minor 3rd is because since I was flattening the 4th note, I know that it is some fourth now.
Hmm, maybe we should make a "DiminishedFifth does your homework" thread.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
To properly benefit from your lessons, you need to figure it out yourself.
But maybe you need to (re)read on intervals of the major scale?
Quote by AlanHB
Hmm, maybe we should make a "DiminishedFifth does your homework" thread.

Haha, I'm trying to be as subtle as possible I don't like giving people answers! I had to do this a lot over in class though.

Quote by amicone18
isn't there only a perfect 4th? the reason I said major or minor 3rd is because since I was flattening the 4th note, I know that it is some fourth now.

Nope. There are more 4ths than just perfect. But there's just a perfect 4th in the major/minor scales.
Quote by amicone18
Would F to E be a major 7th?
Depends. Is it ascending or descending?

Edit: Are we to just assume they're all ascending?
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea