I have been trying to sing for awhile now but just got serious about a few months ago. I've been trying to sing stuff like Pantera and Alice In Chains, I dont want to sound like them but rather sing in that style. I have been taking lessons since may, Ive watched both Zen Of Screaming dvds(not that that matters) and have read pletty tutorials, but I just can not figure any of it out. I know it will take time but after of coupe of month I havent seen any progress. What is wrong here? What can I do?
Never mind the videos and the reading, but what are you learning in your lessons?

Are you learning technique? Exercises? Repertoire?

Sure, practice makes perfect, but if you're not making any changes as to how you produce your voice, you won't see much change. You want to learn technique, and practice THAT.

If you are learning technique, then my question is "why isn't changing the way you are producing your voice not resulting in an improvement in your voice?"

Maybe you ARE improving and just don't notice it. Have you recorded yourself?

Or maybe the technique you are learning is ineffective?

Tell us about what sorts of technique things you are learning.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
Never mind the videos and the reading, but what are you learning in your lessons?

Are you learning technique? Exercises? Repertoire?

Sure, practice makes perfect, but if you're not making any changes as to how you produce your voice, you won't see much change. You want to learn technique, and practice THAT.

If you are learning technique, then my question is "why isn't changing the way you are producing your voice not resulting in an improvement in your voice?"

Maybe you ARE improving and just don't notice it. Have you recorded yourself?

Or maybe the technique you are learning is ineffective?

Tell us about what sorts of technique things you are learning.

CT

I've recorded myself and I have not seem much progress. At the lessons, for the first half I will sing along with him playing the piano. Singing la's, ah's and things like that. Then the last part of the lesson I sing along with a song. I think Im just wasting time and money.
So you have not learned to make any changes with respect to how you produce your voice? No wonder you aren't making any changes to how you sing!

What s/he is doing with you will improve your pitch, but not your tone/resonance, etc.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
So you have not learned to make any changes with respect to how you produce your voice? No wonder you aren't making any changes to how you sing!

What s/he is doing with you will improve your pitch, but not your tone/resonance, etc.

CT

Hmm, well Ive been a musician for a while and have developed a pretty good and pitch. What should I do? Should I stop taking the lessons or what?