how can a guy convert a solid state amp to a valve by using 6L6 tubes. and why are the 6L6 used? (once a guy told me that i could mod out a "tube head" with 6L6 tubes). BTW what does tube head mean?
Quote by Maynard James Keenan

Cold silence has a tendency to atrophy any sense of compassion
You just can't do that. They really are two different animals. If you want a tube head, you'd be much better off buying one or building one of your own, as converting a solid state to a tube would pretty much just mean ripping the old one apart and salvaging it for parts, then building a completely new amp in it.

EDIT: A tube head is an amp that has it's amplification happen... In tubes. A solid state amp would use things such as Transistors and IC's (Integrated Circuits) to amplify, while tubes amps, use Vacuum Tubes. Tubes are a much older technology, while transistors and other solid state devices are a bit newer. And even though it is possible to get a good sounding solid state amp, a lot of people prefer tubes as they have a tendency to sound "warmer" and are simpler to get a good tone out of.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Last edited by MonkeyLink07 at Aug 2, 2010,
can you tell me (or point me to a thread or link) how to start building my own tube amp?

Quote by padfootpak
how can a guy convert a solid state amp to a valve by using 6L6 tubes.
1 - take solid state amp apart.
2 - Throw away everything except the cabinet, bare chassis, input and output jacks, line cord, and power switch.
3 - Build complete new amp on chassis.
4 - Put chassis back in cabinet.

tube = valve
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
thx!!!