Page 1 of 2
Lets say two guys are pissing each other off for whatever reason. They both decide to have a duel (involving guns and shit. Not the Yu-Gi-Oh card game). They decide to do it old school like the famous Burr-Hamilton duel. It's consensual. They're well aware of the risks. They're using modern guns. It's no reenactment. It's the real shit. etc. etc...

Should they be able to? Or should it be against the law?

I personally think that as long as it's between consenting adults they should be able to. But it's still kind of iffy for me.
If they want to, why not. The law does not appear everywhere. Go into the back woods, get things done.

I'd watch, toss coins at the loser so he can use them to pay for his medical bills if he lives.
Where are they? That sounds like it could be legal in Texas.
Quote by The Madcap

I personally think that as long as it's between consenting adults they should be able to. But it's still kind of iffy for me.

inb4 this is taken out of context.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
I don't think that should be legal at all!
Some people get angry and want to kill another person for some trivial shit. This would give them a legal opportunity to do so. What if the other guy is so full of pride that he wouldn't back down?
You'd wind up with a dead guy, either way.
That's a bad legal precedent to set if you allow it. I say no
Check out my band Disturbed
I'm quite sure that it would be against the law. Picture the same guys beating the shit out of each other in a consensual way, if one of them dies, the other one will be convicted for murder anyway.
Nah. Back in the day it worked but it would have shitty consequences if it became the norm again.
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
what if two guys get into a bar fight, they've both indirectly given consent to fighting one another, does that mean people should let them?

two gangs are at war with one another, they both realize it yet they both want the other dead. so should we let that continue?
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
Quote by Gman400
Nah. Back in the day it worked but it would have shitty consequences if it became the norm again.

This. Males were gentlemen back in the day
Impossible is just a word people say to make themselves feel better when they quit.
Vyse the Legend
PFFFT! I'd have alot more respect for both involved if they pulled out a duel disk and duel using yu-gi-oh.
2nd amendment?
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
sure, let them duel. at least there'll be one less idiot in the world.

however, I think it should a long, involved, and expensive process.
No. Though the idea of it is cool, I think itd be a step backwards for the human race and solving its violent issues.
well, by lay i don't think theyre allowed to, but i think that if they' really wana go at it, then sure, whatever. it¿s their life they are putting on the lien.

sorry for poor grammar, not exactly sober her.e
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
Last edited by carlos_almighty at Aug 2, 2010,
I don't think that having semi-automatic duels is a good idea.
Knife fights?
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
Quote by breadstick
Isn't that the same as assisted suicide?

I agree.

If they honestly believe whatever's pissing them off is worth dieing for then by all means, let 'em do it. If they don't realize that its not worth dieing for before betting their lives on a gun shot, then that's a problem one of them will have to leave with his loved ones.
Quote by The Madcap
They both decide to have a duel (involving guns and shit.
Quote by The Madcap
It's consensual.
If by "guns" you mean their penises, let them do it. Otherwise, no.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
oldschool is without guns, use your fist and knock hem out.
that's what's good, not some stupid shit with guns in which you don't feel a bit of the pain you inflict the other guy..

Be the way, being angry I'm not sure if they would have the time to sign a document or whatever, how do you get a dead man to say "I'd rather be death than a pussy"?
hands down.
Quote by BMTuga
oldschool is without guns
wut?

dueling with pistols is over 200 years old. that be oldschool, homey.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Lets say a wife needs to watch after her husband who has clinical anger issues but also brings in most of the financial support for their family to feed and clothe the children. One day when she's working and the kids are at school her husband gets in a fight with his neighbor over something petty. With nobody to hold him back or to talk sense into him, he agrees to a duel with this neighbor (since it's consensual it's obviously okay, yeah?). Regardless of the consequences the death of this father's life will wreck on his family it's all okay because two adults consented to resolve their issues with death. Anybody associated or dependent on these two men should not be fascists and allow them to do whatever they choose, including killing each other, because they have an innate right to do so.

...Yeah, not buying it. Definitely against the law.
Ах, так вы не пьете и не курите?
Хорошо для вас: вы здоровым умрете!
This actually is legal in Paraguay as long as both parties are registered blood donors.

I think that only fools can't settle things peacefully, but I still believe that they should have the right. As long as both people are documented in agreement that has been approved by the law and etc.
Quote by JacobTheMe
This actually is legal in Paraguay as long as both parties are registered blood donors.

I think that only fools can't settle things peacefully, but I still believe that they should have the right. As long as both people are documented in agreement that has been approved by the law and etc.
Glad someone brought that up.
Quote by The Madcap

Glad about a government allowing folks to be murderers to resolve their issues?
Ах, так вы не пьете и не курите?
Хорошо для вас: вы здоровым умрете!
Quote by Chikao42
2nd amendment?

You're obviously not from the US. Or you're fifteen. Or you live in a Red State. Or maybe I just missed a footnote in the Bill or Rights that says, "And by 'the right to keep a militia' we really mean 'own all the guns you want and feel free to shoot people'."

Quote by ricanboyguitar
This. Males were gentlemen back in the day

Agreed. Back before action hero movies made holding a grudge cool, it used to be that people could separate 'a duel of honor' and 'all out warfare.' Now if you settle something in the street, the loser takes it personally and gets his friends. Then again, it used to be that you had to challenge someone formally, and they had to accept or lose face. Like, a lot of face. Now people keep pushing until the other guy pushes back.

Duelling is, and should remain, illegal in the United States, on the basis that more often than not one guy will basically strongarm the other guy into letting himself get killed. Even if you 'duel' by way of boxing, there is still something called the 'Eggshell rule,' which more-or-less states that if you punch a hempheliac and he bleeds to death internally, you're still guilty of at least negligent homocide, unless you can prove that you were defending yourself. Hence the huge amounts of rules in registered "no holds barred" fighting.

Which is why, as Roosevelt said, you should walk softly and carry a big stick. And hopefully never use it.

Wow. Rant. Sorry, it's late here, and I just spent several hours doing boring paperwork on the computer. Guess I just took it out on you guys
Last edited by jean_genie at Aug 2, 2010,
Quote by JacobTheMe
I can't stop laughing about that.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Aug 2, 2010,
Quote by The Madcap

Yeah, I bet that if there were a whole screening process that took a lot of time it would make people not duel at all. Because then people wouldn't be fighting out of pure emotion anymore.

The process would require physical and mental testing. As well as the signature of a spouse or parents. Maybe we could make the process so complex that people would die from natural causes before they were approved for the duel.
Quote by Zaphikh
Glad about a government allowing folks to be murderers to resolve their issues?
I never said that. I've just heard comparisons to things like people engaging in fights that are caused by the heat of the moment, and I think that what JacobTheMe said is at least worth considering as it makes a duel different than a heat of the moment, enraged bar fight or something.
Quote by JacobTheMe
The process would require physical and mental testing.
Do you think that a duel is an intelligent way to settle a disagreement?

Yes - x
No -

Result of mental test: Fail.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
It should be against the law with semi-automatic/automatic weapons.

And if anything, a duel isnt worth someones life. I honestly think that fist fighting in a controlled environment is just enough to prove whatever needs to be proven in this alpha male society.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Page 1 of 2