Okay, I dont mean to brag, but I consider myself a decent player, and with alot of people giving advice to others to "learn some theory", I dont know where to go. I have been in band at school, I can read notes, I can transpose to different keys, play in odd time signatures, i know a decent amount of chords, i know scales, can play barre chords, and other stuff. Where to next with theory? Do I need more, or can I work on more techniques?
Any help is appreciated
edit: i can sometimes identify the key, and find a scale. depends on how tricky the structure is.
and yes, i want to write music
Last edited by AJSaw at Aug 3, 2010,
Can you look at/listen to the chord structure of a song, identify the key then pick a scale that would be suitable to solo over it?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
If I had a penny...if only I had a penny every time
"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast."

~Leonardo da Vinci
You can consider harmony. Harmony explores intervals, cadences, chord substitutions, counterpoints, harmonic tension, constructions, the relationship between chords and melodies.

You can work on both techniques and harmony at the same time. Harmony will definitely help with improving your techniques.

Harmony will help greatly in songwriting, composing and even with your instrument. In term of songwriting, after you write your melody. You will be able to harmonize it quickly if you understand harmony.

To make your song more interesting, you can explore simple chord substitutions. Let’s say you write a song and trying to figure out what chords to use instead of your basic I/IV/V. You can substitute the ii minor chord with the IV major or vi minor with the I chord. The more complex substitution will be the V/V substitutions.