I looked around and couldn't really find anything..

I'm beginning to lead worship in my church, and need a small tube amp that can get a nice clean tone but also get a low to mid gain feel, nothing too distorted but almost an alt-rock sound. I've been considering a vox ac4tv, but I couldn't decide on which version to get. I've also thought about a epi valve junior, but it seemed too bare bones to do anything without modding or getting several pedals. I heard something about a Bugera v5, but I'm not too sure about any of them because the nearest GC is two hours away and I don't have time to travel to try them out at the moment.

My budget is about $400, more if needed, I just want something that will sound pretty good and allow me have nice cleans, while also being able to produce a mild distorted sound. I am also open to other suggestions, and pedals or other things to go with any amp offered.
I'd get an AC-4 over a V5. I love the Bugera's to death, but I found it easier to get a better sound from the Vox. If you can afford it, look into a Blackstar HT-5 (not sure what they cost these days) or a Blackheart LG or HD.

EDIT: ^ Eww.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Vox AC30 if you can find on. A Peavey classic 30 if you can mic it, and a Mesa 5:50 if you can afford it.
Define small? From what I seen most people in church bands use 30+ watt amps or even half stacks.
Quote by Trefellin
Anyone with half a brain knows that Jesus is way more metal than Satan. Lucifer was the worlds very first emo.

Quote by glowinghamster4'

i just want to let you know that made my day.

Quote by Weaponized
Solid state master race
We actually had that Fender Frontman, and I really just didn't care for it that much honestly.

Do you know anything about how much of a difference in sound quality there will be from buying the 8", 10", or buying the head with a cab for the ac-4? I really do love the vox sound. Unless spending the extra money for the Blackstar would be worth it? It sounds really sweet.

Edit: By small, I mean it will just be in our youth room, and I will most likely be micing it. It's not for a huge room, just a regular sized one.
Last edited by RedSeph at Aug 3, 2010,
A 12" speaker will make a huge difference compared to an 8". For the AC4 I would definitely suggest getting the halfstack rather than the combo.

What about an AC15? It's about $600, but you can probably find some discounts or buy a used one.
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender American Special Strat
Assorted Boss and Hardwire pedals
Vox AC15C1
Would getting the head and the vox cab be the best bet to go for that, or are there other cabs that sound better with that head?

And finding anything used is going to be a problem for me, because I live in Arkansas, several hours from every major city. Unless I could find something on ebay, I really can't spend $600 on an amp right now.
Craigslist?^
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
You could pick up a used Blues Jr. or Hot Rod Deluxe for that money. Both would be a good choice.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
AC15 if you can find a used one. Don't know how close you are to little rock but I just put in Vox for a CL search and got this.
http://littlerock.craigslist.org/msg/1814054741.html

If you're going with the AC4 I'd highly recommend the head and cab with the 12" speaker. The larger speaker will help out, especially with the lows.
Quote by Wondergaurd
The Strat/Tele debate is alot like picking a starter in Pokemon, each is great at something and can cover other fields well, it's just what they do good and great that makes 'em different
I live 4 hours from that AC15, or I would have just bought that =/
I've searched craigslist several times and haven't found anything in my area.

I think I'm going to get the AC4TV head/cab. Any recommendations for pedals that go with this amp? And can you tell me some about the Super Champ, I thought it was a hybrid, modeling type amp, and not all tube?
used ampeg j-12t. should be about $300 used.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-AC15VR-Valve-Reactor-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=584527

get that. It's not a real tube amp but it has really nice cleans. It has about 80-90% of the famous Vox cleans.

Or u could get a Vox VT50. It's a modelling amp but has really nice cleans and crunch.

The ac4tv wont have enough headroom for gigging. It's only 4 watts.

About the Super champ. The clean channel is full tube but the 16 voicings it has on the second channel is modelling. I think.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by RedSeph
What do you mean by headroom?

The amount you can turn up without it breaking up (getting all hairy and overdriven). There isn't really a way to go from clean to overdrive on that amp without an overdrive pedal unless you turn it up for the crunch and roll off the guitar volume to clean it up. If you can look on ebay for a used AC15 that would be great for a small amp. A Fender Blues Jr. would also be nice. Then you could a Boss BD-2 or a Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive for the light drive. Those pedals sounds nice for church appropriate levels of overdrive (unless you need the sustain of Rise and Sing by Fee from Passion).
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by RedSeph
What do you mean by headroom?

Headroom means how clean the amp's clean channel stays at high volume before clipping happens.
When i said the ac4tv wont have enough headroom, I mean when u turn up the volume on the clean channel really high, it wont say clean as it doesn't have much headroom. It will have some natural overdrive as the tube will be cooking so really ur clean channel wont actually be clean at high volumes. If u want ur clean sounds to be super clean at high volumes with no natural overdrive from the tubes, u need a higher watt amp as they have more headroom.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Ok, thanks for clearing that up. I'm really new to tubes. So the ac15 seems to be the way to go? Will it be loud enough for small gigs?
Well, Nigel Hendroff from Hillsong uses an AC15 and a Matchless Spitfire. They are both 15 watts. I also saw a fairly loud rock band play a Fender Blues Jr. at an outdoor gig with about 1,000 people there. The guy had the amp clean and was using a Jekyll and Hyde for his crunch sounds.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
I love the Ac15's
If you want to save some cash you could look into a Valveking 1x12 although thats like 60 watts so maybe too much
I think I'm gonna go ahead and just go with the AC15, it looks like it'll be my best bet. And sometime down the road I plan on getting a valveking actually, but that would be for more personal use than for church. The cleans on it just don't seem to match the style.

Thanks for all of the advice guys
For church I've found that pedals work much better than an amps Overdrive.