Page 1 of 2
I've been looking for an affordable 15-20 watt amp (Starting university this fall, so I can't spend a grand on an amp) that can give me a good high gain tone. I finally came across the JCA20, and after watching some demos on Youtube, it seems like it does the sound fairly well. I think with some active pickups (which I have, but I'm running them through a Spider ) I can get the sound, along with a nice Tubescreamer. Anyone here think it would work, or have done it themselves? I play alot of Metallica/Megadeth, some Children of Bodom, Necrophagist, Lamb of God, etc. so I'm going for modern gain.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Last edited by Metalfan41 at Aug 3, 2010,
From what I have been told, the amp has a ton of gain by itself, almost pushing into metal territory without a boost. And with a boost, it's a beast.

But then again, I haven't really researched it that much.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
I say go for it man. Its tone is so good to my ears. I love the sound it makes. And yes with a boost it would kill. I want to do this myself.
I Survived The "Silent Deftone Cocksucking Forum"!-August 15th, 2006
MatrixClaw actually just bought one of these and he says that if you pair it with the right speaker it's perfect for metal.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by Raijouta

Sounds pretty good, what tuning were they done in, drop B? I play in D standard so it's nice to see it can hold the bottom end without getting too loose, although it doesn't sound as focused as I would like, an EQ would fix that up nicely. Guess I'll have to run things over with the 'rents and see if I can have $700 to myself to buy the amp and a nice cab, along with a pedal or two.
Quote by reeses

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Could the JCA20h be good in a gig situation? Miked I know it would be fine, but, let's say you play with a rather, eccentric, drummer

How do the cleans sound on this thing?
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
I've heard 20w will be good for gigging, I've also heard they aren't. If you run through a 4x12 I think they work fine. I'm not too concerned about it since this is a home/jamming amp and don't have plans to start/join a band while I'm still in school. The cleans sounded decent from what I've heard, just roll back the volume on the guitar a little and they come out clean.
Quote by reeses

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Theres no clean channel. If you want cleans either cut your volume back a tonne or wait for the jca50 to come out
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

It's a 1 channel amp, you get no cleans.
And throwing it on top of a 4x12 does NOT give you a significant volume boost...20 watt all tube should be fine. You just won't have a lot of headroom.

I've never used one for metal so won't comment there, but there have been some pretty promising clips posted here recently.
check out a blackstar ht-20. nice cleans and distortion for metal.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by FrustratedRocka
MatrixClaw actually just bought one of these and he says that if you pair it with the right speaker it's perfect for metal.

Yup. For some reason, through my Mesa 4x12, it's just on the brink of metal... but with my new Emperor 1x12 - It's all the way there, with gain to spare. An overdrive in front of it will definitely get you into metal.

Quote by Guitarbaddie
Could the JCA20h be good in a gig situation? Miked I know it would be fine, but, let's say you play with a rather, eccentric, drummer

How do the cleans sound on this thing?

It can get pretty loud. I know it'd be fine jamming with a drummer, but I'm not sure the sound would spread well enough at a decent sized gig.

As far as cleans go, it's only 1 channel, as others have mentioned. I haven't really tried dialing it in specifically for a clean tone, but you can use the volume knob on your guitar to tone it down. I have pretty high output pickups though, so it never really gets fully clean, more of a dirty, crunchy clean - but if you pick light enough, it gets the job done.

Quote by denied
And throwing it on top of a 4x12 does NOT give you a significant volume boost....

+1, mine is actually louder thought my 1x12 than it is through my 4x12
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Raijouta
That guy can make a Valve Junior sound brutal.
Quote by FrustratedRocka
"The right speaker" in this case is the one in a custom made Emperor cab. Unless he gets lucky and finds one used, I doubt it's in his budget.

Also, it's a single channel amp, which can be pretty inconvenient.

I don't really know what else to suggest in the price range, though.
So it's probably the best option for your budget, but getting metalcore tone out of it will take some work.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
with a boost you should be able to get the sufficient levels of filth
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Coming from someone who OWNS the JCA, and has been playing/gigging/practicing with it for some 8 months, I can tell you this amp does get clean enough despite not having an actual clean channel, unfortunately so. You would just need to flip on a nice distortion pedal/tube screamer in order to reach high gain territory. However, I'd recommend you invest in a noise gate, as I don't even go into metal-gain territory and still get feedback, enough so that it will bother anyone who hates excessive noise. May have just been my old MD-2, being the shit storm it was, although I have since upgraded but still haven't had the oppurtunity to plug my new pedal into my rig. So the noise issue may be solved with a decent enough pedal.

As far as gigging goes, I believe TS said not to worry, as he isn't in a band and doesn't plan on being in one for some time. Despite that, I can say that for venues of 100 people or so, this head will do fine if paired with the right cab. Having said that, I recommend you get a nice used cab rather than the matching 1x12. The reason being is that although the JCA12S is still a decent cab, and exceptionally good for the price, it won't be up to par if you do end up joining a band and start playing gigs in college on a large scale. That said, if you can't find a better cab, the JCA12S will still get the job done.

And, as others stated, you could always mic up with the PA.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
I played this amp in store, and it didn't have nearly enough gain for metal, even with a boost.
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
Quote by GoIrish668
I played this amp in store, and it didn't have nearly enough gain for metal, even with a boost.

That's fine but a whole bunch of forum members who actually own this amp and play metal disagree with you.

Quote by Kanthras
That guy can make a Valve Junior sound brutal.
"The right speaker" in this case is the one in a custom made Emperor cab. Unless he gets lucky and finds one used, I doubt it's in his budget.

Also, it's a single channel amp, which can be pretty inconvenient.

I don't really know what else to suggest in the price range, though.
So it's probably the best option for your budget, but getting metalcore tone out of it will take some work.

thats hardly the only cab it sounds good with. Catharsisstudio runs his with some standard cabs.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Last edited by AcousticMirror at Aug 3, 2010,
Quote by AcousticMirror
That's fine but a whole bunch of forum members who actually own this amp and play metal disagree with you.
I hope that doesn't include you.
thats hardly the only cab it sounds good with. Catharsisstudio runs his with some standard cabs.
Well, sure. But like I said, he's way to good at the studio thing.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

i can hit some decent metal tones with
gain on 8
volume at 5-6

it suits my metal needs but i still plan on getting a tubscreamer at some point.
Take into notei have the combo version aswell.
Gibson RawPower SG 2009 (Zales)
Gibson Hummingbird 70's? (Amy)
Jet City JCA 20 Watt Combo
Dunlop Crybaby wah
MXR 10 Band EQ
Ibanez TS-9
Quote by Kanthras
I hope that doesn't include you.
Well, sure. But like I said, he's way to good at the studio thing.

i don't own one.

Quote by AcousticMirror
i don't own one.

arent you going to buy one of the modded ones?
Dunlop Crybaby wah
MXR 10 Band EQ
Ibanez TS-9
Quote by AcousticMirror

Ryan is also boosting it, like he boosts every amp he records.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Guitar-KID125
Theres no clean channel. If you want cleans either cut your volume back a tonne or wait for the jca50 to come out

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jet-City-Amplification-JCA50H-50W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head-430427-i1529329.gc
JCA50 already is out?
Quote by LolCatGuitar

Interesting, I looked on their site like 2 days ago and it said they were estimated in stock in September.

I'd love to get my hands on one, but when I went to GC on Sunday, they had the 1x12 cabs in stock... but no heads
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Aug 3, 2010,
Quote by MatrixClaw
Interesting, I looked on their site like 2 days ago and it said they were estimated in stock in September.

I'd love to get my hands on one, but when I went to GC on Sunday, they had the 1x12 cabs in stock... but no heads

maybe you got confused with the 2X12 combo?
Dunlop Crybaby wah
MXR 10 Band EQ
Ibanez TS-9
Quote by IXIchiodoIXI
maybe you got confused with the 2X12 combo?

Nope, never looked up the combos. Have no want, or need for a combo, ever again
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by IXIchiodoIXI
arent you going to buy one of the modded ones?

i'll get around to it. i gotta finish up some other stuff i'm working on. I'm just taking my valve jr to jam with friends right now. I need a combo but I might get a jcm800 combo from a friend so we'll seeee.

the 50h is in limited supply release. I've seen them for sale on rig-talk and smaller retailers.

The 50 combo is a lucky 13 212 and isn't out yet. but it's not the same amp as the 50 head.

Quote by MatrixClaw
Ryan is also boosting it, like he boosts every amp he records.

Ibanez TS7 > Jet City > Mesa OS cab with v30s.

i've talked with ryan way too much when i can call that back from memory.
Quote by Mack56

Ryan boosts his his pancakes in the morning to tighten it up... seriously.

but yeah a boosted Jett City is... well Ryan did a test and 95% of the guys including me failed to identify if the amp was a 5150 or JCA
Quote by Mack56

Isn't that basically his setup for all his recording?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Kanthras
Isn't that basically his setup for all his recording?

Well, when i met him his main boost was actually a BOSS SD-1. and it continued to be that for a while.

but he uses that cab for pretty much everything, yeah. I can't blame him either.
I played the combo this weekend. It can get thrashy on its own, I imagine it slays with a boost.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by MatrixClaw
Nope, never looked up the combos. Have no want, or need for a combo, ever again

Are combos that bad in general? Looks like I should reconsider that turn-my-combo-into-a-head thing that Miyako Designs does...
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by FrustratedRocka
Are combos that bad in general? Looks like I should reconsider that turn-my-combo-into-a-head thing that Miyako Designs does...

They're heavy as ****.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
eff carrying combos up and down stairs and all that garbage. efffff that. I easily carried 412s up my stair case but the ktre combo nearly broke my back. efffff that. never again.

Quote by Guitar-KID125

the jca50 has been out for a couple months now
already seen one on craigslist
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
^ Lucky bastard, I would have picked that up straight away.

And at how this has become a thread about the JCA.

While I'm in here, would you guys rather run a Fulltone OCD or the TS-9 through the JCA?
ts-9. the OCD is more of a stand alone distortion than used a boost or to tighten things up to metal
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
I was afraid of that . I went and bought the OCD, simply because all the demos I saw and all the times Id played with it it sounded brilliant.

Ihad been wondering if the Tubescreamer would do more of what I wanted, but I never had the chance to use one, as they're never out on display at GC.

The Tybescreamer would be sufficient for punk, post-rock, post-hardcore stuff?
Tubescreamer will do just fine for punk. Its a pretty versatile od
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
Page 1 of 2