I am currently using a Boss DS-1 as a solo boost over a very distorted amp with the level at max and the gain and tone at 12 o'clock and obviously when i stop playing it creates a loud annoying buzz and sometimes a squeal. I love the sound and and the great sustain but was wondering if there was a mod that could stop the buzz; or would a noise gate work? If anyone has tried this do you have any tips or recommendations on any overdrive pedals that would achieve the same results... or even better? I appreciate any help
What amp are you using and what tones are you trying to achieve? A lower gain pedal with a mid boost instead of cut would work better for most anything IMO.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Marshall 250dfx 100wfor my amp, I like the 80's metal, hard rock tone which require a high gain during rhythm sections.
Last edited by penguinguy34 at Aug 3, 2010,
There are a few things you can do...

The first, and cheapest, would be to mod the pedal. There are a lot of guys out there who offer great kits for the DS-1. Monte Allums just came out with his Roxx Mod for the DS-1 which, if his demo is any indication, works very well as a quiet boost.

The next option would be a noise gate. This is kind of a work around to the problem you're having. I find that noise gates aren't really needed except in the very most high-gain rigs. Most of the time there are cheap/free things you can do to get rid of unwanted noise in your rig. But as your problem is coming from you trying to use a stock DS-1 as a boost, a noise gate would certainly be beneficial.

The last option would be to go out and get a pedal more suited to being used as a boost. A Tubescreamer of some type jumps to mind.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
From what I can tell I might just get a noise gate so i can maintain a high gain ryhthm guitar while still being able to just get a boost in the solos. Cheaper than sending out for mods!
Roxx mod is $30.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
sell your amp. that amp does not boost well with anything.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Has anyone done a monte allume mod, and if so which one, the rectifier or the tri-gain plus
I've had his standard MT-2 mod and I've got his DS-1 Rectifier Tri-Gain, CS-3 Ultra Plus, SD-1 GT and GE-7 Plus mods coming in the mail.

His MT-2 mod made me a believer. Side by side with a stock MT-2 the difference was shocking. I typically hate Boss pedals, but when I can get a MT-2 off CL for $35 and make it sound biblical with a $20 mod... Win.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Last edited by ch0 at Aug 3, 2010,
I think it's not so much a problem with the pedal, or needing a noise gate.

How much gain are you actually using, on the amp and the pedal? a lot of people have a tendency to use far more gain than they need and it sounds like this is the problem. When it comes to gain, a lot of the time, less is more, especially when you're boosting an amp.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.