It seems to me that I'm sometimes using the soft part of my fingers more than my fingertips especially with my pinky. But I'm kinda confused where the fingertip starts and the soft part ends so judge me by this picture I took.
Attachments:
HPIM2434.JPG
First of all- are you comortable playing this way? If so, carry on. If it doesn't hurt you, damage the guitar or impair your playing then it's cool (Y)

Otherwise, try angling your fingers so that they're more vertical to the string/fretboard. The string should be in the centre of your fingertip when vertical
Quote by SilverSpurs616
First of all- are you comortable playing this way? If so, carry on. If it doesn't hurt you, damage the guitar or impair your playing then it's cool (Y)

Otherwise, try angling your fingers so that they're more vertical to the string/fretboard. The string should be in the centre of your fingertip when vertical

The angle of my fingers varies on where I am at the neck. If I'm playing at the first fret then I angle my fingers more because it seems more comfortable to me. But when I'm at the 12th fret then I don't angle my fingers that much.

But am I playing with my fingertips or the soft parts of my fingers?
Your frist 2 fingers look fine, they look like you're using the tips of your fingers. It's perfectly natural to angle your hand and fingers differently at certain parts of the neck so as I said, if it doesn't hurt you etc then it's fine
But should I improve/fix my 3rd and pinky finger tehnique and play more with my fingertips or is it fine by the way it is and doesn't hinder my overall playing?
If that picture shows anything that should be adjusted, its your thumb position. I used to find myself doing that with my thumb when moving around the neck, learn to move your thumb with your hand.

And I would say I doubt using the tips or more the tip+flesh or just the fleshy part really matters. Whatever is comfortable for your hands. I find that when I really, REALLY try to be as loose as possible, I find myself using less of the immediate tip and my fingers 'fing' much more easily.

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
Last edited by glenthemann at Aug 3, 2010,
Quote by glenthemann
If that picture shows anything that should be adjusted, its your thumb position. I used to find myself doing that with my thumb when moving around the neck, learn to move your thumb with your hand.

I agree. Learn where to keep your thumb and the other fingers should be fine. THumb should live in the neighborhood opposite of your middle or index finger most of the time.
That's where you'll get your leverage and a much better angle for your fret fingers to operate.