G'day

Im purchasing a guitar in the coming 10 days.
Ive been to a couple of shops and the two that caught my eye and ear were the Schecter Blackjack ATX C-1 and LTD Viper 401.

I played the Viper today and haven't played the Blackjack yet (planning on going into guitar store in next couple of days to test).

What has UG heard about these guitars are there any major faults in them? And are there any other brands or models out there i should look at aswell. I'm going to play teh brootalz, hardcore and a little bit of punk.
Im in Australia and my budget stops at $1500. All helps appreciated.

Blackjack Specs
Construction: Set-Neck with Ultra Access
Scale: 25.5 inch
Body: Mahogany
Neck: 3-piece Mahogany
Fingerboard: Ebony
Frets: 24 Jumbo
Inlays: Active Symbol at 12th fret
Pickups: Seymour Duncan Active Black Outs
Electronics: Independent volume controls for each pickup, master Tone knob, 3-way pickup selector switch
Bridge: TonePros TOM that strings through the body
Binding: Aged 3-ply
Tuners: Grover
Hardware: Black Chrome

Viper Specs
Set-Neck
25.75” Scale
Mahogany Body
Mahogany Neck
Rosewood Fingerboard
42mm Earvana Compensated Nut
Thin U Neck Contour
24 XJ Frets
Black Nickel Hardware
Grover Tuners
TOM Bridge & Tail
EMG 81 (B) / 85 (N) Active p.u.
Finish: Olympic White

Cheers Shaenb243
Personally, I'd go the Schecter - it's much, much better looking than the wonky SG styling of the viper... and Schecters are nice. But, if I had $1500 to blow on a guitar, I would be looking for a used LP...
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Personaly, I'd go for the viper.

I'm not keen on schecter necks, myself
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
schecter. while the viper may have arguably a better p-up combo (EMG 81/85) the overall specs of the ATX are better. besides, would you REALLY want people coming up to you saying "what happened to your gibson SG? it looks like it melted" THAT would get annoying after a while.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
LTD EC 1000 is the way to go.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
why is the ec 1000 the way to go. care to elaborate. not trying to be an ass. if its just loooks meh.
Last edited by shaenb243 at Aug 3, 2010,
Quote by shaenb243
why is the ec 100 the way to go. care to elaborate. not trying to be an ass. if its just loooks meh.

I said the EC 1000 and not the EC 100, and for the guitars he is considering, the EC 1000 is way better at a similar price (maybe even less).
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
I like the Blackout Specs (and I have the sevenstring version) its a really well built guitar and I love the feel of it, although the neck is quite chunky and i needed time to adjust to it.
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
sorry i missed a 0 when i was typing i fixed in edit as fast as i could. whats the real difference when i go on there site to look em up the only difference is the pups are EMG 85B/60N. The color of hardware and tuners. However i will definitely have a play when i go back.

Quote by Shredx
the neck is quite chunky and i needed time to adjust to it.

thats all good dude ive been playing on my Epiphone Les Paul and the neck on it is aswell. I picked the blackjack up at the shop and it felt fine when i was having a bit of a fiddle on it.
Schecter baby

EC 1000 is good to but Schecter baby....i dont care for Vipers but they are good guitars
post-punksymphonicblackeneddeathcore